Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Ketogenic diet blog
  • bongohoohaa
    Free Member

given that its from peer reviewed articles from people that know a lot more than you I’m going to have to disagree with your unwitty retort.

Again, what website is this from.

jimjam
    Free Member

poah

given that its from peer reviewed articles from people that know a lot more than you I’m going to have to disagree with your unwitty retort.

It was extremely witty, don’t act so butthurt.

also remember thats possible side effects not a list of what everyone would get.

In the interests of fairness and balance then, kindly post a list of possible side effects associated with all other diets please. I’m particularly interested in any diet that will prevent death.

samej
    Free Member

also remember thats possible side effects not a list of what everyone would get.

It looks like a list of potential side effects of life to me.

poah
    Free Member

Again, what website is this from.

can’t remember, search for it. some doctor’s site

poah
    Free Member

In the interests of fairness and balance then, kindly post a list of possible side effects associated with all other diets please. I’m particularly interested in any diet that will prevent death.

no diet prevents death, we all die at some point.

Solo
    Free Member

poah – Member

Remember thats possible side effects

Death is a “possible” side effect?
    😆

Poah’s list of doom is a great example of, “selective” internet “research”.

In other news, it’s currently dry and bright here. But it will rain later.
    😆

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

can’t remember, search for it. some doctor’s site

Seems legit.

allan23
    Free Member

Solo – Member
    NO particular DIET WORKS FOR EVERYONE’s!!!! Differing life style choices.

Yeah, I’ll take that correction 🙂

Select what to eat based on knowledge of how your body will process the foods you choose.

Get some exercise, doing something you enjoy.

Yep, pretty much what I wanted to say but forgot the cardinal rule of reacting to internet stupidity 🙂

poah
    Free Member

Poah’s list of doom is a great example of, “selective” internet “research”.

its not selective, the diet has side effects. it also has good points particularly for certain diseases and obese people. It has its merits but its not a diet I would use.

Remember its a list of possible side effects not you will get these.

molgrips
    Free Member

Interesting that pee sticks didn’t register ketosis after two weeks. After that time on the iDave diet my pee sticks were strongly showing ketones.

Unless they are different and showing a different thing.

Re suitability – I did very low carb last summer, including lots of fasted but intense riding.

– recovery was slow, high intensity was hard but generally possible through the pain
    – I didn’t lose any weight to speak of. Actually slightly lighter now when I’ve been eating normal carby meals in sensible amounts and doing less riding
    – Endurance went through the roof. Did the Trans-Cambrian way in 15 hours, which isn’t super quick, but I’d only done two rides over 2 hours in the previous two years.

My assumption is that fasted riding and low carb greatly increases efficiency when riding, probably more through energy management or how your body interacts with your riding brain rather than outright muscular efficiency. However when trying to lose weight you may not actually want efficiency, when you think about it.

My feeling is that for me low carb/fasted training would be great for ultra long endurance, but not for speed.

True ketosis though – **** that 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

allan23 – Member
    Yeah, I’ll take that correction

Wasn’t intended as a correction. Just building on a good foundation.
    🙂

samej
    Free Member

Ketogenic diet in off road cyclists

Some limitations with the study – small sample, only 4 weeks on the diet. You can choose whether the results are positive or not depending on your point of view 😀

jimjam
    Free Member

samej

Ketogenic diet in off road cyclists

Some limitations with the study – small sample, only 4 weeks on the diet. You can choose whether the results are positive or not depending on your point of view

They will all die.

Also, my understanding was that it takes about 8 weeks for your body to become Keto adapted.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Also, my understanding was that it takes about 8 weeks for your body to become Keto adapted.

Which is impossible, as most are dead by week 5.

RIP those magnificent bastards 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

From that study:

The heart rate (HR) and oxygen uptake were significantly higher at rest and during the first three stages of exercise after the ketogenic diet, while the reverse was true during the last stage of the exercise protocol conducted with maximal intensity

Seems to agree with my experience on low carb.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

bongohoohaa – Member

I don’t think I could go full keto. I won’t say it’s a hassle, but it’s more reducing your food groups, so I imagine you find yourself eating the same things over and over.

Breakfast: Bacon and Eggs with Avocado
    Lunch: Avocado with Eggs and Bacon
    Tea: Eggs with Bacon and Avocado.

This is pretty much right on the money but don’t forget the amount of vegetable stock you have to drink each day just to keep your salt levels up.

samej
    Free Member

forzafkawi – Member

bongohoohaa – Member

I don’t think I could go full keto. I won’t say it’s a hassle, but it’s more reducing your food groups, so I imagine you find yourself eating the same things over and over.

Breakfast: Bacon and Eggs with Avocado
    Lunch: Avocado with Eggs and Bacon
    Tea: Eggs with Bacon and Avocado.

This is pretty much right on the money but don’t forget the amount of vegetable stock you have to drink each day just to keep your salt levels up. [/quote]

If that’s what you ate I’m not surprised you gave up!!

forzafkawi
    Free Member

If that’s what you ate I’m not surprised you gave up!!

Well I’d love to see what some of the people claiming to be on a proper Ketogenic diet actually own up to eating.

There are three food groups: Fat, Protein and Carbohydrates and cutting one of these out completely is total madness, especially the most varied in terms of food types. For those not familiar with the details of a Ketogenic diet, try and imagine what your life would be like just eating as much fat as you like, some protein and only 20g of carbohydrate per day.

Let’s just say you’d better like dairy food and meat and leave it at that shall we? There was one good thing came out of trying the Ketogenic diet for me, I now take double cream in my coffee.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

There was one good thing came out of trying the Ketogenic diet for me, I now take double cream in my coffee.

Amateur.

Put some butter in there, or GTFO 😀

cchris2lou

I had to cook a keto diet for a child who suffers with epilepsy.
    It seemed to work but it was difficult for the family to do it when not at school.

He loved the jellys made with double cream.

jimjam
    Free Member

forzafkawi

Well I’d love to see what some of the people claiming to be on a proper Ketogenic diet actually own up to eating.

There are three food groups: Fat, Protein and Carbohydrates and cutting one of these out completely is total madness, especially the most varied in terms of food types. For those not familiar with the details of a Ketogenic diet, try and imagine what your life would be like just eating as much fat as you like, some protein and only 20g of carbohydrate per day.

Well it might be a question of perception, or just misinformation.
    As mentioned above everyone will be different but for me I think it’s better to think of it as a low/zero sugar diet as opposed to zero carbs.

If you cut out refined sugars, cereals, bread etc and get your carbs from green vegetables then 20-50 grams of carbs becomes plenty as it represents a lot of broccoli, asparagus, spinach etc .

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Well it might be a question of perception, or just misinformation.
    As mentioned above everyone will be different but for me I think it’s better to think of it as a low/zero sugar diet as opposed to zero carbs.

If you cut out refined sugars and get your carbs from green vegetables 20-50 grams of carbs becomes plenty.

My point exactly. There are Ketogenic diets and low carb diets and they are not the same thing especially for endurance athletes which was the whole point of this thread.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you cut out refined sugars, cereals, bread etc and get your carbs from green vegetables then 20-50 grams of carbs becomes plenty as it represents a lot of broccoli, asparagus, spinach etc .

A very healthy diet, but not ketogenic…?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Yes it is. It is accepted that ketosis can be achieved with a net carb intake of between 20 to anything up to a 100 grams a day. Depends on the individual, but 20-50 grams should be fine.

molgrips
    Free Member

Huh.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Uh-huh.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Yeah and don’t forget to keep pissing on those Ketostix and convince yourself you are in Ketosis. 🙄

jimjam
    Free Member

forzafkawi

Yeah and don’t forget to keep pissing on those Ketostix and convince yourself you are in Ketosis.

That’s a pretty random and unreliable method.Blood Ketone metering is far more accurate.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Call-GK-Dual-Function-Monitoring/dp/B00W1SWR00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460580990&sr=8-1&keywords=ketone+meter

forzafkawi
    Free Member

That’s a pretty random and unreliable method.Blood Ketone metering is far more accurate.

Sarcasm is so hard to get over on the internet. The Ketone test meter you linked to didn’t fare much better with the user reviews though did it?

trailertrash

I’m now 71.5kg and very lean. Feel great. Cholesterol entirely normal.

Stainypants

Really interesting, your orginal post inspired me to give it a go having read Joe Wicks cook book which is essentially plagerised from Ruled me and is keto lite.

I waited until I’d run the marathon before I started on th high fat low carb diet as I didn’t fancy changing my diet whilst training so heavily.

I’ve lost about 1 stone in about 6 weeks with much lower activity levels having already lost weight marathon training. I do allow myself the occasional bowl of oats before or imediately after a long long training session. Some days I was keto some not.

I’m on hols this week and I’m having a weeks off the diet. I’ve cycled and indulged one day and fasted with a single keto meal the next. I have no idea how that’s worked. I’ll be much better prepared for the next holiday but unsweetened almond milk which a main stay in my diet is impossible to get in France.

The one weekend I has to give in was a three day bikepacking/hike a bike where no matter how many nuts I ate I had no energy. The first thing I did when I hit civilisation was neck two portion of beans on toast.

trailertrash

Well, today I achieved the goal of the whole exercise, which was to climb my first French 7a route outdoors without ripping any tendon pulleys (or incurring any other injuries). My previous best was 6c, in 2008.

The chosen route was Raw Deal in Wave sector at Cheddar Gorge. Worked the route yesterday, pretty successfully, and fell off the top move. Got back on it today and did it third try.

It’s been a long time coming and a lot of holistic effort, not just in losing weight loss.

To say I am psyched would be a massive understatement!!! Read more here:

https://wordpress.com/post/ketogenicdiary.wordpress.com/212

For those wanting a quick summary: I’ve lost 10kg in the last 4 months. Today I weigh 70kg. I’m 5’11”.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Good work, but it appears the lack of carbs has broken your link posting abilities.

I’ve just had a sandwich so can help: https://ketogenicdiary.wordpress.com/2016/07/23/on-the-diet-month-4/

😉

…but seriously, well done. it takes commitment to stick to a keto diet. I have tried and failed a few times. Will give it another crack soon I imagine.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Ketogenic diet blog’ is closed to new replies.