Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Keswick/Lakes, next weekend, advice and company welcome :-)
  • uphilla
    Free Member

Hi, having finally done some rides in the Lakes last year I was determined to get back and sooner than expected have magically two days booked in Keswick next weekend.
    Happy to have company/guidance if anyone is also about, though keep in mind I am no whippet, though reasonably fit for my age.
    Thinking of doing the Borrowdale Bash one day, or maybe Skiddaw loop. Then aim to try Winlatter trails. Driving from Northants,staying in Keswick.
    As this will be a rare event any other suggestions/routes welcome. Thanks! Geoff – gemo AT f2s DOT com

jekkyl

You jammy bar stool. I’m just planning a weekend up there by myself in June. Have fun mate, I loved the skiddaw route and I’ve done the bash 3 times and come off on it several times so take your time, no rush and have a good time. 😀

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ll be over that way, but with the road bike 🙁

I’d suggest only resort to Whinlatter if the weather is horrid and you need the shelter. If its its ok, go for the Bash on one day, and Back o’ Skiddaw on the other, make the most of being there!

(if you start the Bash early enough, its worth going up around the back of Walla Crags and down to Ashness Bridge, but you need to avid walkers, if you get my drift)

justinbieber

Borrowdale Bash doesn’t need to be done early to do Walla Crag – ironically, all walkers I meet on footpaths are nice as anything. It’s the ones I meet on bridleways that give me angry looks.
    IMO, Walla Crag is essential to the Bash as it cuts out a large chunk of road work

vertebratetom

The Keswick Mountain Festival is on next weekend. Pretty sure they’ve got some demo bikes/guided rides etc organised you might be able to join if you’re really stuck for company.

They’ve also got a ‘bike night’ on Thursday compered by none other than Mr Chipps!

uphilla
    Free Member

so, for Walla Crag do you head up Brockle Beck and down Falcon Crag?

d45yth
    Free Member

IMO, Walla Crag is essential to the Bash as it cuts out a large chunk of road work

I would say it depends on what the weather has been like…it’s an absolute s%$%fest when there’s been lots of rain.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

do you head up Brockle Beck and down Falcon Crag?

Head up the road to Rakefoot, then pick up the path past Falcon Crag to Ashness Bridge

And when you go up the road from the bridge, head up the permissive path to Watendlath that goes up the west side of the beck, at Hogs Earth

Edit, other tips:
    On the descent to Rossthwaite, its easy to miss the right turn into Frith Wood, but its worth taking it.

That said, straight down to Rossthwaite is a continued rocky fast blast.

And, climbing out of Seatoller, there’s a permissive bridleway on your right that avoids being overtaken by roadies on the tarmac climb 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Some good borrowdale bash tips here, must try it again. 🙂

justinbieber

I would say it depends on what the weather has been like…it’s an absolute s%$%fest when there’s been lots of rain.

Only the climb up, which for most is a push anyway. Once you cross the stream it’s a blast whatever the weather

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Oh yeah, another tip:

The climb from Rakefoot, don’t bother trying to follow the footpath, follow the grassy track to the south as its a (slightly more) rideable gradient.

allthegear
    Free Member

Oh – lots of good tips there – thanks!!

Rachel

justinbieber

Oh yeah, another tip:

The climb from Rakefoot, don’t bother trying to follow the footpath, follow the grassy track to the south as its a (slightly more) rideable gradient.

Will have to try that some time – thanks.

uphilla
    Free Member

Appreciate all the advice, thanks!

uphilla
    Free Member

Been looking at Skiddaw routes – the standard one seems to have a lot of road miles. Anyone tried the alternative in the VP book which turns heads up Lonscale Fell then turns East at Skiddaw House?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

This would be my preferred Skiddaw loop from Keswick.

Follow the old railway path out to Thelkeld.
    Climb up to the Blencathra Centre, continue up to Skiddaw House.
    Head north-east down the Caldew, follow the valley to Mosedale.
    Follow the lanes north to Calebrack.
    Follow the old mine-track west-ish, to where it crosses the Cumbria Way and straight on down to Fell Side. Then around the mountain on Route 10 through Longlands and Orthwaite, all the way to the Peterhouse Farm
    then South (east) back up to Skiddaw House and continue south around Lonscale Fell and Latrigg and back to Keswick.

Big ride out in open countryside with very few people around.
    Lots of opportunity for livening it up, going over High Pike or Great Sca Fell for instance. Burn Tod is a favourite of mine too 🙂

uphilla
    Free Member

Thanks bandito – sounds great! I should have all Saturday to explore.

ThePinkster

Some great tips here, I’m gonna be up near Keswick in a couple of weeks for a few days.

Won’t have the bikes though… 😥

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Keswick/Lakes, next weekend, advice and company welcome :-)’ is closed to new replies.