Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Keswick locals; can you recommend a good route for a couple of hours
  • nickc

As title is there a good route for a non local that’s reasonably easy to follow and takes in some good stuff. Needs to be close to Keswick

Cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Straight up and down Skiddaw. It’s not that exciting for the top half, just a fast slalom down the scree, and the climb’s barely ride-able in places, but it is the tallest bridleway decent in England, so it’s worth doing just to tick it off.

Think it took me a couple of hours to climb and about 40min to descend (2 punctures on the scree).

There is a footpath down the other side (heading west off the summit) which is ride-able, but obviously cheeky.

jekkyl

you don’t need to be local to suggest a route out of Keswick!
    The lonscale fell route is ideal I reckon for you: http://www.keswick.org/UserContent/doc/4703/adventure-cycling-keswick-lonscalefell-route2.pdf
    Easy to follow and does take in some good stuff. If you have the time you could also go up n down skiddaw as thisisnotaspoon suggests as it passes right by the path. Take care on the fell itself as several people have died off the drop to the valley!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thorpedo

Spin up Whinlatter pass from Keswick and do the forest trails? 2-3 hours and no local knowledge required.

nickc

Perfect thanks guys, I’ll find something to asmuse myself from that lot

bspoked
    Free Member

I took a couple of friends round that Lonscale fell route two weeks ago. They absolutely loved it.

chakaping
    Free Member

You could do Grisedale Pike and Whinlatter South Loop. If you’re fit you could probably descend the Pike and then do the whole south loop again in about 2hrs.

Nice combination of trail centre and hike-a-bike steepness.

smett72

Can’t give you much advice about routes up there, but I do know that most of Whinlatter South Loop is closed at the moment for maintenance.

Latest News (23/11/2015 16:01)
    The Altura Trail South Loop is closed. Repair work is continuing to improve drainage and carry out resurfacing. The trail will be closed for approximately two months to make sure it is fully dried out but this does depend on weather conditions in the coming weeks. Riding the trail too soon could cause more damage so we appreciate your patience. Updates will appear here but you can continue to enjoy the Altura North Loop and the Quercus trail which are both fully open.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Keswick locals; can you recommend a good route for a couple of hours’ is closed to new replies.