Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Kenny Wilson – Mountain Bike Scotland, The Highlands – addendum
  • Cowman

With it looking like his website is now down I thought I would post the errors and omissions section from this website for his book up here, I copied it some time ago to update my book. This way anyone looking for them will get them once its been indexed.

The work to complete the original book took some time. In the years since then nature has played a part in rearranging some of the countryside. The huge deluges that have been a feature of the climate in recent times are prominent and have caused damage that is reported below. Other routes have seen singletrack disappear benath the bulldozer.

In the course of drawing up the manuscript for Mountainbike Scotland , The Highlands there were a few errors and omissions. Changing text from the original idea (which had no maps) allied to cutting and pasting elements meant there were a couple of things that slipped through. Some routes were inaccurately described or had insuffificient warnings.

So, for the errors disclosed and any yet to come to light please accept my apologies. This page is designed to rectify some of the above.

It’s not all bad. Any trail improvements and variants heard about will be included. The first of these can be seen in respect of the purpose built singletrack that appeared in Glen Branter shortly after the book ws published.

Updates

Loch Tay 2 day route p 119

The bridge leading to Arivuirichardich was washed away after the ride for the book. Although generally passable, the river will prove difficult if it is carrying a heavy flow.

In the picture below the twintrack is heading toward Arivurichardich which is out of shot to the R and down a dip. The bridge that’s now gone can be seen just to the L of the obvious LRT in the middle distance. You can see a hint of the catchment area in the huge coire above the rider. The weather which took this bridge removed two more lower down and shifted a couple of 100 tonne boulders as well as affecting the route below!

Glen Ample p 34

The singletrack in Glen Ample has been sanitised by footpath “improvements”. Early reports suggest that before long this path may return to a rougher state. In the meanwtime, the relatively smooth surface provides a techniclly easier (but still steep in places) trip which should be accessible to a greater number of riders.

The fantastic scenery is till the same and the bun stops at the Old Library will remain a superb interlude

Loch Oich p 96

Dubious signage is present in the vicinity of Br. of Oich (below). Locked gates, including high deer gates, with no provision for bikes have caused difficulties. Near Faichem there are signs that talk about ‘Adults Only April to October’ and conjure up odd images. They appear to relate the chalets near the track end.

An updated and much improved version, avoiding the sections afected by these most un-bike/child-friendly attitudes will appear in the next book. A draft of the text page format of the new route can be accessed from the MBR 6 of the Best link.

Loch na-h-Oidhche p 106

In the book’s text, a variation to the core route is mentioned. A sloppy re-arranging/

trimming of text during the editing process resulted in this option appearing far more attractive and straightforward than it actually is. The same complacency resulted in a poor representation of the subsidiary line shown on the topo. The suggested variation is likely have too much walking and prove a bit torrid for use by any but the most masochistic. Additionally it was very dependent on drought or hard frost to make it viable and once again bridge washout plays a part.

While the shortfall will be addressed in the new book this will do little if you’ve had an otherwise good day ruined by following the poor information presented. Please accept sincere apoloies for any inconvenience caused to those who attempted to follow this erroneous entry.

The core route remains a straightforward but fantastic trip and should be adhered to.

Glen Branter p 8

A section of purpose-built singletrack has been added by the FC. It’s signposted and starts near the final descent described in the text. It provides the good clean fun a Red (advanced) grade and is a welcome addition to a lovely corner of the country. Learn more here

The Leacann Muir Road p18

The forest LRT in the initial sections has been extended over to link with Loch Awe. This means that instead of the singletrack entry @ GR 964 004 no mloger appears at the end of a cul de sac but has lot be looked out for.

The entertaining rocky descent has been sanitised by improvement for estate use. While, owing to its steepness it is likely to be subject to wash out and revert to something approaching its old self this will take time. The final descent has also been affected by felling operations. The atmosphere added by the closely crowding trees is gone but it’s still steep, fast and fun.

Cougie p115

As part of a trip to suss out a possible 2 day loop in the area, the section of this route from Cougie to Loch Affric was re-ridden in early April 2008. The area around Cougie has lost some of its character due to clear felling. The twintrack that follows the lochan was then found to be in a bit of a state. It appears that the ditches had been dug out and the spill cast onto the track surface. This made for lots of soft, sumpy sections on the level. These are likely to take a long time to dry out.

In the very wet conditions met with, much of the singletrack had to be walked in order not to damage it. This emphasised the need for dry conditions to make this link viable. Nor was it as well defined as it was when first ridden. The cumulative effect is to substantially alter the qualities of this route. It’s probably still a worthwhile circuit but just not anywhere near as good as it once was.

Loch Ordie p44

The singletrack to Mill dam has been “improved” i.e. widened and flattened. The area still remains a fantastic spot to head out on a bike, enjoy fun easy riding and practise navigation/get lost with no great penalty clauses. However, removal of the character of this section deprives riders of something thtat always brought a smile.

Loch Eck p6

The FC have now installed several bike-friendly, lever operated gates in place of some of the stiles that were once encountered. A washout just after the highpoint of the outward leg has reduced the traffic using the section of trail that follows. Consequently this is becoming overgrown and now a bit of a bushwhack . Following the low route (marked by white FC marker posts) is now probably the better option.

Loch Ossian p 57

The estate road has been upgraded to accommodate vehicles accessing the holiday lets in the area. The riding surface is smoother and is even kinder to beginners. The tearoom on the station platform has reopened. This makes the route doubly attractive to anyone looking for an easy day out. You’ll be able to enjoy a feed in comfort surrounded by scenery that is as wild and open as it gets.

Great Glen & Corrieyairack Multi-day P127

Report in 2008 of descent of Corrieyairack badly washed out in places. It’s always been a bit feral so it’s hard to quantify this. As with all these tracks they can change dramatically in a relatively short time once the weather gets a hold of them.

Lochan Fadda p 110

Some have dismissed this one as unridable but others have raved about it. Suffice to say, a well respected tour operator used it in (along with several others from the book) in 2009 as part of a West Highland itinerary.

However, this doesn’t change the fact that, in the book the grade should really read Black/Expert. Although the text tells you you need to be a good bike handler to enjoy it the error in grading could upset some folk’s plans.

The “main event” is a bit of a beast. It remains well above anything in my comfort zone and while my dismounts (voluntary or otherwise) were frequent the right rider with the right bike will have a ball.

For it to be truly enjoyable as a bike handling experience it would be fair to say that you need to be happy on slow technical ground and ready for a lot of “trialsy” kind of moves. As a yardstick, if you’re not comfortable on the black at Laggan or the main DH at Aonach Mor, this will involve a lot (a lot) of walking downhill. An out and back to Lochan Fadda itself would still be worthwhile.

General notes and a wee rant

The vast bulk of the feedback reflects that the book seems to have achieved its aim. The potential of the Highlands is enormous and Mountainbike Scotlan the Highlands has directed many more to it than ever imagined. At the time of its writing there just wasn’t any other book which described Scottish MTB potential from the perspective of a fit rider with a modern bike and modern handling skills.

In the time since then I became pretty unwell. Recovery took an age. Recently my wife also became seriously ill and that took another year of marking time. I’m now 2 stones heavier than I was when riding for the first book. At one point I was even bigger.

The prodigious fitness, strength and stamina possessed at the time of writing the first book has gone. In the course of re-riding some of the itineraries I’ve struggled. I can well imagine the plight of folk with far less in the way of those resources on the self-same routes. Add that to any day outside the ideal conditions recommended and it’s easy to imagine wee Kenny shaped voodoo dolls having rusty hat pins rammed into them. Aye, the first book wasn’t perfect. Nor will the second one be but like the first it will contain plenty of stuff that’s never been in any guidebook or comic before.

While I never would subscribe to the crazy notion that I was first to ride any route, what I will say is that many were explored with no knowledge gleaned from any other rider. Despite the certain knowledge that I wasn’t “first”, that sense of adventure and “discovery” is hard to beat. There are plenty more routes out there for every one of us to uncover.

Despite not having any actual claim to ownership an enormous pride has followed the knowledge that some of the rides featured in Mountainbike Scotland, The Highlands seem to have become instant classics. Prior to their appearance in the book next to nobody had heard of (never mind ridden) the Fionnaraich/Lair loop or the Ciaran Path. The former was chosen by Any MCCandlish as his top UK trail for 2009 while the latter was MBR’s top UK trail for that year. Note…..UK….not just Scotlandshire!

Those and other previuosly unpublishd routes from the book have appeared in articles and other guidebooks. More than a few have formed the kernel of guided trips arranged by adventure holiday companies when (before) the standard offering was vehicle supported C2Cs. Apart from the smile on a rider’s face that’s one of the highest accolades that can be accorded.

In respect of routes that later appeared in other folks’ books, some have cried plagiarism. I don’t agree. I own nothing about them, nor did I get involved for any substantial cash return. The routes are there to be shared and cherished. In fact I’ve happily pased on details and sugested whole routes to more than one writer for their own material. There are some damned fine days out that anyone writing a guidebook would leave them out at their peril. So, don’t think because a route appeared in one book it should be excluded from another!

I just love the sport. I do my share of marshalling, have turned a few shovellsfull trailbuilding, have done my local cycling access rep stint, been an IMBA UK office bearer and made trophies that have been won by world champions. I’m a passionate sort of guy and to have had a wee hand in getting folk to become alive to the potential of Scottish mountain biking is something of which I’m truly proud.

MBR chose their trail of the year for 2009 in the shape of one they found truly challenging and hinted that it might take a couple of visits to master. This maybe reveals that, despite the advent of riding centres, the true spirit of mountain biking seems to be clinging on. Like most things in life, a sport is going to ask something of you before you reap the highest rewards.
    Mountainbiking has helped me dig my way out of several megatons of crap that seem to rained down on our family. I owe it a great debt. Great days out with similarly daft minded people seem to be an antidote to many of life’s troubles. I hope a book was provided that makes such days possible for others. I know that’s what I’m working on just now and applying the lessons learned in the process.

Hope it helps some.

hairyscary

Does it mention to never do the ‘Coire Mhic Nobuil’ ride 😀

AlasdairMc

A couple of amendments to the amendments:

The bridge at Arivurichardich is back, having been rebuilt for a hydro scheme.

The old library tearoom in Balquhidder is closed, but Mhor 84 at the old Kingshouse Hotel is a fine alternative.

Cowman

Other amendments I found over time:

1. The Auchindrain loop basically does not exist as described due to new landrover tracks.
    2. As described the Devil’s Staircase route includes a lot of road and easy off-road. If you want to maximise bang for your buck either do it as an out and back or take in the Ciaran Path too.
    3. The Coire Mhic Nobuil loop (round liathach) involves quite a lot of road and quite a lot of carrying. The (excellent) descent can be done in less than 2 hrs as an out and back a suprising amount of which is rideable on the up.
    4. As described the Tollie Path involves a lot of road. The out and back is all good single track and fun in both directions.
    5. The Lochan Fhada loop from Kinlochewe is good but doing the descent of Glen Biannasdail completely clean would make it technically the hardest route in the book.(IMO)
    6. Cougie – Highly scenic but lots of landy track followed by a pretty muddy and slightly disappointing descent

and

Think that the Glen Kinglass route also includes a whole heap of road… better as an oab Vic Bridge to Glen Etive…

The route out to Lochan Fada was brilliant but the descent of Gleann Branasdail was just nuts,,,,

Kennys book is great… its an adventure every time. I was told that he was a mountaineer fist and biker second so not averse to a short walk with a bike…. as we all know….

I can now confirm that the Bealach na Sgairne route is a cracker but I was glad it was dry on the couple of K of bog before the climb to the bealach.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

If anyone’s looking for a copy, I think I have a spare.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Kenny Wilson – Mountain Bike Scotland, The Highlands – addendum’ is closed to new replies.