Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lake/Peak District Kendal, unmissable routes/centres
  • SOAP
    Free Member

So planing my year thinking of staying in Kendal for a long weekend.
    I believe there are 4 trail centres in driving distance and obviously lots of natural routes.
    What trails/routes are a must?

geoffj

Garburn Pass

postierich
    Free Member

I have a nice circular route around Kendal but need to get to Staveley for a bit more choice. Which weekend? I am off work for a while might be able to show you around.

Rich

jekkyl

What have you done before in lakes? It’s an easy spin up to the junction for penrith then Ullswater singletrack & bit of high St or drive down the lake to do Helvellyn. For a bit of easy road with signage the C2C passes through penrith so follow that to Keswick or t’other way up Hartside?
    What you after?

SOAP
    Free Member

I’ve not been North of Cannock 🙂
    With the other half so 20ish miles of natural routes with a red/black ish grade.
    Maybe one trail centre out of Whinlatter,Grizedale,or Gisburn Forrest

lesgrandepotato

Don’t confuse lakeland miles for flatland miles. 20miles could be a really substantial undertaking..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

^ what he said! there are some really big days out in the lakes that are well under 20 miles.

And don’t go to a trail centre, going to the lakes and riding a trail centre is like going to Tuscany and eating tinned ravioli.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Whinlatter,Grizedale,or Gisburn Forrest
    Out of these trail centres, Whinlatter is my favourite.
    If you’ve never been to the lakes before then fidning / following a natural route can be a challenge. My favourite would be the tour of coniston ride. Helvellyn in this weather would be mental.

goyawave
    Free Member

I have a nice circular route around Kendal but need to get to Staveley for a bit more choice. Which weekend? I am off work for a while might be able to show you around.

Can I take you up on the offer too please?

My in-laws live in Kendal (and Lowick) so come up regularly, but have no one to ride with so end up going for the safer Grizedale and Whinlatter options.

I have done Stavely – Kentmere inc Garburn, also Grizedale – Parkamoor and some others but would be good to go riding with someone.

sumomatt
    Free Member

Trail Centres:

Whinlatter – do the North and South Loops, if poss link with the Quercus Blue Trail.

Grizedale- north face trail but add in some of the bridleways Coniston side

Gisburn – worth the detour, just voted best TC in the UK

Natural:

Staveley and ride Garburn Pass 15-30 miles depending on route

Settle / Malham not far away for a nice 25mile loop

Clapham – nice rides up there

Ullswater- Hellvellyn, high street, nice rides from pooley bridge

Coniston – Parkamoor

There are so many , sure you only want a Long Weekend??

SOAP
    Free Member

Thanks Guys is this the correct Garburn pass route?
    http://pedalnorth.com/content/garburn-pass

Anymore of these worth a look? mainly for views and to get the feel of the Lakes
    http://www.pedalnorth.com/content/lake-district-mtb-routes

postierich
    Free Member

Some good rides on here
    http://www.bogtrotters.org/
    Willing to show people some local rides just email me 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lake/Peak District Kendal, unmissable routes/centres’ is closed to new replies.