Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • kenda tyres help
  • neil853
    Free Member

i’m thinking of getting either nevegals or blue grooves, what combinations are people using? are they worth having?

any help is always appreciated?

mudpup
    Free Member

Nevegal frt + rear
    stick e frt if u ride rocky places otherwise dtc both ends

xherbivorex
    Free Member

neil my norco has nevegals on both ends, stick-e compound. they seem to work well for my needs.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Nevegal at the rear and blue groove at the front is the normal combo. You can run either f&r, but I think the combo works best as BG is directional and a little lighter and Nevegal is a bit more grippy. Certainly the best tyre combo I’ve used. You can’t go too far wrong with either though

Northwind

I mess around with various but my default’s a stick-e blue groove on the front, DTC nevegal on the back. I wasn’t convinced by the blue groove on the back at all but it’s a good front. The nevegal pair is also very good.

Only thing I would say about the stick-e blue grooves is that the 2.35 are pretty damn slow if run below about 40psi. Quite a bit slower than either the 2.1 (no matter what some people say about tyre widths and rolling speed) and the 2.35 nevegal. The 2.1s are pretty wide (actually, shockingly, 2.1 inches wide!) and grippy so for most purposes that’s what I use but it’s nice to have the extra fatness as an option.

izakimak
    Free Member

2.1 Blue groove on the front
    2.1 Dred tread on the back
    Agree with northwind they are wide when compared to some other brands but that’s good imo.
    I run both with 40psi.

Northwind

Oh yeah, definately, the fatness is a good thing! i fitted 2.2 mountain kings at one point and they were narrower than the 2.1 nevegals 😛 2.1 is a good sensible size for most riding I reckon, with these tyres, lots of grip.

zaskar
    Free Member

BG on the front if it’s very dryish.

Otherwise Nevs stick so well they drag. My fave all round tyre but I’d like a nanoraptor for the summer dry trail-speedy!

neil853
    Free Member

so do people reckon that a pair of Nevegals f+r would be a good bet for the alps too? going in july so ideally want a tire that can do the UK and Alps?

enfht
    Free Member

Nevagals = brilliant winter tyre but too draggy for summer imo

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I have a pair of BG and Nev 2.1’s you can try

You will need to wait a couple of weeks

neil853
    Free Member

big_n_daft that you paul? how’d ssuk go?

neil853
    Free Member

so what tyres would people suggest for the summer? they need to run in the alps too? going on a ransom so would prefer a larger volume tyre

elaineanne
    Free Member

i have kenda on my hardtail, very grippy for winter slodge ! not good for tarmac tho.(well you have to come across tarmac occasisonlly and it slows you up, but great cross country tyres… i have full suspension bike now, so getting used to mountain king tyres that came with the bike (alot different,)……

Del

i have run the kenda bg/nevegal combo, cos you used to be able to get them for 11 quid each from wooly hat shop, but no more, sadly. switched to a panaracer rampage for the rear, to use in spain on my ht, as they’re supposed to be a bit stronger in the sidewall. same tread as the kenda but runs the other way around, weirdly. not as grippy, in fact on the singlespeed i can spin the wheel up on the rear on the road in the damp, but noticeably quicker rolling on the way to the trails. for preference i would have stuck with the kendas, but the panaracers were cheaper when i bought recently.
    if you’re ht in the alps then the panaracer is worth considering for a bit more protection, otherwise the kendas are good tyres for grip, if a little fragile in the sidewall. defo a kenda on the front though, for me.

neil853
    Free Member

i have MK’s now and i like them, if a little sketchy on the front but that may be me just being picky, but they’re £32-36 each at the minute which is more than i’m willing to pay (got mine 11 months ago for £23 each on special from wiggle, Protection as well!) 😀

twohats
    Free Member

so what tyres would people suggest for the summer? they need to run in the alps too? going on a ransom so would prefer a larger volume tyre

Depends on what sort of riding you’re going to be doing in the Alps.
    If you’re doing lift assisted riding and not much XC, I would consider getting some DH tires. If just XC, you may be ok with standard Kendas, but they do have very thin sidewalls which are prone to pinch flats and torn sidewalls on the many sharp alpine rocks you will encounter!

neil853
    Free Member

hmm to make things even more difficult i’m going to do both, looks like the kenda’s are out then if the sidewalls are that thin

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

If it were me, I’d go BG stick-e up front, Nevegal DTC out back. 2.35s are pretty big but would be ace in the alps and good fun at trail centres here too (my mate who rides an Spec Enduro rates them very highly) They’re really good confidence inspiring tyres so I don’t think you’ll regret it, perhaps just worth seeing them in the flesh though, as they come up pretty big, so you might decide 2.1s are more than enough for you – even in the Alps. Hope that helps!

neil853
    Free Member

cheers guys (and girls)! good helpful answers!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘kenda tyres help’ is closed to new replies.