Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Kenda Nevegal Vs Blue Groove
  • mboy
    Free Member

Sorry for a tyre thread!

Anyway… What are the relative advantages and disadvantages of the Blue Groove and the Nevegal when compared to each other? Specifically, I'm looking at a 2.1" size and UST compatible versions here, to go on my XC bike. I've already got some full on mud tyres (Bonty Mud X) so want something for more of a "most of the year" tyre for my hardtail.

I've also seen it before when people run one of each, is this reccomended? Or would you go with 2 of either tyre in preference, and if so which?

grantway
    Free Member

For what I have read and heard people run the Blue groove up front and the Nevegal on the rear. It May be down to better grip which is another
    thing I have read.

shoefiti
    Free Member

I prefer to run Nevegal front and rear, i find the blue groove good as a front, but thens to tram line a bit if rutted compared to the nevegal. nevegal is a good front thou (i'd never use blue groove on rear, to be hinest i've never tried it but the profile would suggest it'd be a bit rubbish)

I_Ache
    Free Member

Didnt find either very good as a front tyre I was always washing out but the nevegal worked ok on the back and the 2.35 comes up huge so is nice and comfy on a HT. I prefer a High Roller and Larson tt combo for front end grip and minimum rolling resistance.

andy@innerhaven
    Free Member

I'm running Nevegals front and rear and like them a lot. They've got stick e rubber which gives a magic feel, but can be a bit of a drag on some stuff. Only downside I'm having is that I need to run them at high pressure cos they seem a wee bit flimsy on the sidewalls (or cos I'm overweight and need to get better skillzzz!) 😀

GaryLake
    Free Member

I find tyre threads so funny because contrary to what Andy M says, I found the High Roller terrible on the front and won't ride with anything but a Blue Groove up front.

What can you deduce from that? This thread won't be able to tell you anything and you'll only find out by trying!

Anyway, the logic behind the Blue Groove Nevegal pairing is the BG has a less uniform tread pattern with spaced out blocks which are ideal for turning and steering, namely there is no lateral straight line through the tread pattern so theoretically less prone to washing out. The nevegal has a more paddle like arrangement and is better and putting power down and maintaining grip under drive, but also ramped to relatively fast rolling (for the amount of grip on offer)

This is not science or fact, just a long time user's theory! 😛

GaryLake
    Free Member

Oh yeah, and get a DTC on the back and a Stick-E on the front.

Ed2001
    Free Member

I like your theory GaryLake.

oddjob
    Free Member

I really liked the navegals on my 29er, but since I got my new tubless wheels last week there was NO WAY ON EARTH that they were going to fit onto the ZTR Arch rims. Not even close.

Has anyone else had this problem?

poppa
    Free Member

Me too. I did ask about BG/NEV before, but I got told off. Paddles on rear, rails on fron then. Maybe one day I will try a BG.

twohats
    Free Member

Never got on with the Blue Groove on the front, seems to be more condition/terrain specific (i.e dry hard pack) than the more all round conditions Nevegal.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

nevegal front and rear – sticke up front and DTC on the back for the win!

ransos
    Free Member

On Gary Lake's recommendation, I got a Blue Groove up front. I'm not convinced – I thought it washed out too easily. I prefer 2.1 High Rollers but they're prone to pinch flats.

Trimix
    Free Member

As GaryLake said.

You will have to find out yourself. Too many variables / preferences / riding styles / pressures / rims / conditions etc, etc.

Just read the thread for amusment value only.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

"This week, I am currently running Blue groove on the rear, and Nevegal upfront…"

No probs on either so far, climbs well, no wash out, rolls nicely, top bombin'!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Ransos, are you selling? Or trade for a trail raker? (assuming it's a Stick-E not a DTC)

ransos
    Free Member

Hi Gary. I'm going to give it another go – I've lowered the front end of my bike so I now have more weight on the front.

I already have trailrakers – they were absolutely lethal at the Bristol bikefest!

FieldMarshall

I'm currently running a Blue Groove (sticky) on the front and a nevegal (dtc)on the rear.

However, I am unable to confirm or deny whether or not I will be using them at a certain trail centre in the north beginning with "W" this weekend, as apparently discussion of that place in relation to tyres is a crime against humanity. 🙂

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

I've run the BG/Nevegal combination on the front and rear respectively in various guises for three years or so. I've yet to find anything that beats the BG for front end grip in all but mud and I run the 2.1 DTC folding variety of the tyres on my XC bike.

The Stick-E compound is very grippy, but I think it's unnecessary for XC. However, a lot of my trails have a thin slick of mud over the top of hard pack right now and this totally defeats the Nevegal. So the Cinder will be going back on the rear for next weekend!

I have ridden the BG/Nevegal combo year round at trail centres without any problems but the 2.1" is equivalent to pretty much everyone else's 2.3".

brassneck

BG 2.1 upfront, 1.95 Nevegal Lite on the back on a superlight… had to go a size down to retain any mud clearance at all.

Haven't taken them off in 8 months, fine all round combo – the front is Stans tubelessed so I run it softish and this helps the grip I reckon.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Kenda Nevegal Vs Blue Groove’ is closed to new replies.