Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 662 total)
  • Ken Livingstone steps in to calm antisemitism row in the Labour Party.
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

I suppose it was either that or admit the obvious undeniable truth of what I said.
    Still dont let the lack of an argument dent your fervour.

I didn’t dispute the truth of it, I fully accept it as is clear from my response. Any ‘nation’ who felt a neighbour had taken territory would fight to get it back and any nation attacked with missiles would try to stop it happening/retaliate.

But yes, I’m saying it’s far better to take the view that, although a case can be made for carrying on the slaughter, it’s better if they just stop.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I fully accept it as is clear from my response

😯

Please feel free to repeat in bold the bit where this happened as its not obvious to me you were agreeing with me…can’t think why 😕

You sound quite enthusiastic about both sides fighting on like all nations would.

I think you’ll have your wish though. This is never going to stop.

What happens when you dont accept what I say then?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

with weapons sales. I’m not getting onto a who gets what in $,

Come on. Surely you can do better than that? Weapons *sales* are trade not aid. If the us wouldn’t supply them other countries would queue up – euro fighter would have loved that business. The rest of it is completely unquantified

3bn of military aid to a country that uses it to murder children and bomb civilians. That’s what we’re talking about here.

Northwind

outofbreath – Member

any nation attacked with missiles would try to stop it happening/retaliate.

OK, but what’s interesting here is… well, Operation Cast Lead followed the quietest period on the border this century, an uneasy 4 months of near-peace which the IDF broke more often and more damagingly than the Palestinians. That lead to the US publically praising Hamas for their efforts to keep the peace…

5 days later, tanks in the Gaza Strip to, quote, “Send Hamas a message”. And that escalated and led to a resumption of hostilities and a 13150% increase in rocket attacks.

That doesn’t seem like they were trying to stop rocket attacks. A cynic might say the opposite. B’tselem calculated that 79% of all breaks of ceasefire come from the IDF, and 8% from Hamas…

convert

I’m confused. You are still all talking about allotments aren’t you?

Junkyard
    Free Member

😀

epicyclo

One of the greatest speeches of all time:

We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender…

You can only admire the people who have the courage to do so.

dragon – Member
    …and the US and Israel aren’t in bed with each other as much as many claim.

A few billion$$ is hardly a bit on the side…

cranberry
    Free Member

Cool put up your address and I will be around to kick you out

Hmmm, does it make a difference that I bought this place with proper money and everything ? And who does this apartment get given “back” to ?

The dutch person who sold it to me ?
    My son, for whom this has been the only home he has ever known ?
    The farmer who sold the land to the developer?
    Hans from Hamburg, who’s granddad used to camp around these parts in the good old days ?
    The Spanish who invaded Holland ?
    Luigi from Rome who’s rather distant relative enslaved the locals and had their womenfolk off to the slave market ?

Or is there a particular time, say six-thirty-five of a Tuesday evening of a particular year where, if we could magically turn back the clock, everything would be fair and right and the people who you’ve aligned yourself with would get the RIGHT and FAIR outcome ?

The fact is that Israel is staying where it is ( and it should stay where it is* ). You can work with that in mind to bring both sides together to hammer out a deal that they both grumble about, in peace, or you can pick a side and a random time and never be part of the solution – at best you’ll spend the rest of your life **** your gums and helping in a tiny way to continue suffering and hatred and fear on both sides.

As a mental exercise, can I suggest you sit down and think of 5 things that have been done in the name of the Palestinian cause that you think are disgusting – you don’t need to list them here, but it might be good for you to start thinking in terms other than right vs. wrong, good vs. bad, white vs. black, Japs vs. Commandos.

No one wanted to be a Jap when we played as kids as they were The Bad Ones.

Oh and when you do come knocking, be prepared for the vicious Bengal guard cats – you’re going to get a proper padding.

Shall I put the kettle on ?

* The settlement program is not justifiable.

outofbreath
    Free Member

That doesn’t seem like they were trying to stop rocket attacks. A cynic might say the opposite.

If Israel want rocket attacks isn’t that all the more reason to stop rocket attacks? – If Hamas are provoking Israel, Israel shouldn’t respond, the same logic dictates that if, in fact, Hamas are being provoked *by* Israel then Hamas shouldn’t respond*.

Either way, thinking up reasons why one side are right to attack the other isn’t helping. You can easily justify continued bloodshed – far better to make the case for ending it.

*Same with 9/11: if a bunch of Saudi nutters attack you in the hope that you’ll kick off a holy war, it’s probably better not to go along with the plan.

outofbreath
    Free Member

You can only admire the people who have the courage to do so.

I’d like to think that if WW2 was still going on that after 75 years of endless slaughter and horror we might say “Tell you what, you can keep half of Poland as long as we can all stop fighting forever.”

In fact, we didn’t go to war with Russia which is pretty much letting them have Poland and a fair bit else purely so we didn’t have to keep fighting.

Endless war is miserable, even if you think your cause is just.

Admiring their ability to tenaciously kill each other over decades is easy from a few thousand miles away, I’m not sure you’d be so enthusiastic if you live there.

epicyclo

cranberry – Member
    …but it might be good for you to start thinking in terms other than right vs. wrong, good vs. bad, white vs. black, Japs vs. Commandos.

No one wanted to be a Jap when we played as kids as they were The Bad Ones…

It’s very much about right vesus wrong though.

It’s wrong to invade someone else’s country, and it’s right for them to resist. Hope that’s cleared it up for you.

Oh, and the “Japs” really were the bad guys…

DrJ

The fact is that Israel is staying where it is ( and it should stay where it is* ). You can work with that in mind to bring both sides together to hammer out a deal that they both grumble about, in peace, or you can pick a side and a random time and never be part of the solution

You answered this yourself – Israel is NOT staying where it is, and never has. If it did, probably there would be some vestiges of peace already.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The fact is that Israel is staying where it is ( and it should stay where it is* ). You can work with that in mind to bring both sides together.

I fully agree israel has achieved what it wants on the ground,which has never been about respecting borders now has it, and now it needs to achieve it in reality. I dont favour driving her into the sea as a solution any more than I support the utter subjugation of the palestinians by the israelis.
    Do you think there current MO is proving effective or will prove effective?

think of 5 things that have been done in the name of the Palestinian cause that you think are disgusting

I could do this a zionist would be stumped and would have to challenge me again on some point or other[ probably an ad hom]

Again both sides do bad things I dont obfuscate or ask you a tricky question about israel i accept the point and agree as its blindingly bloody obvious. Try it with a zionist, can I recommend Jamby as your first attempt?

Look at outofbreaths dancing to avoid criticising israel rather than try this with me,pretty please

Its an armed struggle both sides are often acting like ****.

However this remains true for all people

It’s wrong to invade someone else’s country, and it’s right for them to resist. Hope that’s cleared it up for you

From Churchill to Hamas if you like.

outofbreath
    Free Member

it’s right for them to resist

If they both resist really well this could still be going in another 4000 years….

Maybe those pussies in South Africa/Ireland should kick off again? After all it’s wrong to stop killing when you know your cause is the right one.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Straw man ad homs galore.

Do you think the black people were justified in arms resistance against the South African govt ?

If we still had apartheid would they have stopped?

I wonder how you will choose to avoid answering those questions.

They only stop killing when they think or they do achieve their legitimate political goals. If you want peace its going to require a little more than just asking both sides nicely to stop.

cranberry
    Free Member

You answered this yourself – Israel is NOT staying where it is, and never has.

See also:

That is the sad truth of it – the extremists on both sides are as bad as each other and keep chosing violence over peace, just as both sides did in Northern Ireland for far too long. It takes an aweful lot of squinting to look at one side and see it as an innocent victim of the other.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Look at outofbreaths dancing to avoid criticising israel

Why would I need to criticize either side?

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I’d quite like it to stop.

cranberry
    Free Member

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I’d quite like it to stop.

Indeed.

I hope you don’t think me pro-Zionist – because I am not. I grew up thinking Israel to be bravely fighting against overwhelmingly bad neighbours, That outlook died long ago – the worst of them are entirely as bad as the worst of the Palestinians.

The best of either side deserve a much better life than they have any right to expect if things continue as they are.

My point is that being pro-<whateverside> is not helping and never will help to improve things.

I hope that you are thinking about that list out of sight/earshot of whomever on here you don’t want to share it with.

Junkyard
    Free Member

@ cranbery why have you not just explicitly agreed with the obvious truth that Israelis borders have been expansionist and turned it round to a both sides do bad things?

Put it in your hypothetical list if you like 🙄

Its still wrong to steal peoples land by military force, ignore international orders and UN resolutions and r settle in these areas

The reason the Un are against it is because it leads to this sort of shit for hundreds of years.

yes both sides do bad things so lets just ignore that as it will almost certainly aid the peace process and in no way elicits the behaviour of fighting them on the beaches.

I hope that you are thinking about that list out of sight/earshot of whomever on here you don’t want to share it with.

I hope you are going to ask a zionist and re read my post 🙄

Might want to re read your own post as you never asked me to share it with anyone on here either – you were very explicit on that point but hey why not use it for yet another shitty personal dig eh 🙄

I suspect we could all easily list 50 atrocities[ not the zionists its all the palestinians fault] done by both sides

Northwind

outofbreath – Member

If Israel want rocket attacks isn’t that all the more reason to stop rocket attacks? – If Hamas are provoking Israel, Israel shouldn’t respond, the same logic dictates that if, in fact, Hamas are being provoked *by* Israel then Hamas shouldn’t respond*.

That’s what happened, for 4 months. This apparently upset the Israelis, so they invaded. TBF, the precedent suggests more that Hamas need to figure out the correct number of rockets. If things get too quiet and the international community notices, then shit hits the fan.

cranberry
    Free Member

I hope you are going to ask a zionist and re read my post

I don’t suppose you know where I could find a partial, bigotted fool who can only see one side of an argument, do you ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

a mirror

you missed this bit from the full quote

why not use it for yet another shitty personal dig eh

Again well done engaging on the issue and points raised by simply name calling.

Dont let that make you consider the paucity of your argument as its definitely the sign of a fatal flaw in my character, rather than your viewpoint.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

a mirror

😆

outofbreath
    Free Member

The best of either side deserve a much better life than they have any right to expect if things continue as they are.

My point is that being pro-<whateverside> is not helping and never will help to improve things.

This.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

It’s a fair point~ ultimately, there are many good people on both sides, whose lives are being degraded by the aggressors in the conflict… however, things get trickier when the aggressors in the conflict include the government themselves and a program of indoctrination:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1wEszQYEzg[/video]

jambalaya
    Free Member

So know we know from a Telegragph piece that 50 Labour Party members (including senior figures like council leaders) have been suspended as a result of anti-semitism in the past 2 months. Know we know why the first two investigations have been kicked into the long grass (suppressed). The other factor to come to light is that many of tehse anti-semites have joined Labour to support Corbyn’s leadership, it makes sense if you are anti-semitic you want to see a leader who gives credibility and shows repect to Hezbollah and Hamas.

Junkyard
    Free Member

#jambyslur
    #jewhatingterroristsympathiser
    #oldandtired

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

By contrast, it’s interesting how little media coverage and discussion there’s been regarding the possibility of a new general election triggered by Conservative Party candidates breaking Electoral laws:

Police have been instructed by the election watchdog to be ready to prosecute dozens of Tory candidates and officials.

The Conservative Party is facing damaging claims that it breached strict spending rules in a string of key marginal seats at last year’s General Election.

Deliberate breach of spending limits by individual candidates – usually around £15,000 – is a criminal offence punishable by a fine or even a one-year jail term.

Any candidate found guilty would automatically be barred from holding public office for three years, triggering a new election.

Still, that being the case, probably best to have a bloody good go at getting a more Establishment focused labour leader such as David Miliband (allegedly) in place before Her Majesty’s Government election 2.0

Northwind

Number of Labour members = over 180000
    Number of suspensions quoted = 50
    Number of suspensions that led to expulsions = we don’t know. Being investigated isn’t a crime.
    Number of those suspended who have joined since Corbyn was elected = we have no clue. But it’s to be expected that most people suspended for breaching party standards will be new, of course. So what we want to know is, is there an unusual pattern here.

Now you have to also ask how many people have been suspended from other parties? That’s not “whataboutery”- member suspension is perfectly normal party activity, parties have open doors so anyone can wander in and have to be kicked out. (I’m a Labour member ffs and I support the SNP…)

But I had a google and found a Tory MP candidate suspended for conspiring with the EDL to create anti-islamic tension, one suspended over the Elliot Johnson case, a councillor and another MP candidate suspended for homophobia, a councillor suspended for linking the SNP to ISIS… Oh, and a conservative association deputy chairman and council candidate suspended for antisemitism.

That’s just the first 2 pages of google… But of course, most suspensions are unreported. And it’s not that they’re secret, it’s that they’re not news- “dude you’ve never heard of suspended” “1 in 3600 party members turns out to be a dick”. And as mentioned, most will be new- they join, they get found out, they get kicked.

I wonder if there’s any figures out there for party suspensions in general? I know the SNP suspended a few recently. Even UKIP do it… It’s probably impossible to get suspended from the Liberals, you can lie to your electorate to save your seat and that’s fine after all.

Appreciate this could seem whatabouteryish but the point is about understanding the big picture.

Junkyard
    Free Member

A well worded summation of the situation LIKES
    its interesting we have the usual RW suspects shouting racist whilst Zac Goldsmith is playing the race card in the London mayoral election – any coincidence in all “this” coming out at election time #JHJ time- and dog whistling but no comment then

Its little more that Tory shit stirring as the problem they have is no worse than any other party fuelled by the internal labour PLP hatred of Corbyn- they seem to be prepared to commit suicide over their hatred as the Tories are doing the same over the EU- all aided by the soothing diplomatic tones of Ken

grum
    Free Member

it makes sense if you are anti-semitic you want to see a leader who gives credibility and shows repect to Hezbollah and Hamas.

Do I need to explain for you what’s going on in this picture jambalaya?

Saudi textbooks vilify Jews (and Christians and non-Wahabi Muslims): according to 21 May 2006 issue of The Washington Post, Saudi textbooks claimed by them to have been sanitized of antisemitism still call Jews apes (and Christians swine); demand that students avoid and not befriend Jews; claim that Jews worship the devil; and encourage Muslims to engage in Jihad to vanquish Jews.[8]

Saudi Arabian media often attacks Jews in books, news articles, at their Mosques and with what some describe as antisemitic satire. Saudi Arabian government officials and state religious leaders often promote the idea that Jews are conspiring to take over the entire world; as proof of their claims they publish and frequently cite The Protocols of the Elders of Zion as factual.[10][11]

One Saudi Arabian government newspaper suggested that hatred of all Jews is justifiable. “Why are they (the Jews) hated by all the people which hosted them, such as Iraq and Egypt thousands years ago, and Germany, Spain, France and the UK, up to the days they gained of power over the capital and the press, in order to rewrite the history?”[12]

Even during the height of the Saudi crackdown on extremism in 2004, a Saudi IQRA TV “man on the street” segment on feelings toward Jews, was entirely antagonistic. Interviewees described Jews as “our eternal enemies”, “murderous”, “the enemies of Allah and His Prophet,” “murderers of prophets,” “the filthiest people on the face of this earth”, etc.[13] [14]

In 2001, Arab Radio and Television of Saudi Arabia produced a 30-part television miniseries entitled “Horseman Without a Horse”, a dramatization of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.[15] One Saudi Arabian government newspaper suggested that hatred of all Jews is justifiable.[16]

Antisemitism is common within religious circles. Abdul Rahman Al-Sudais, the imam of the Grand mosque in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, has been described as an antisemite[17][18] for publicly praying to God to ‘terminate’ the Jews[19]

jambalaya
    Free Member

@grum Saudi King – we sell $4bn in arms, the French sell $12bn. Saudi a nation state and major Western ally benefitting from direct in-country US military assitance. Hamas and Hezbollah internationally recognised terrorist organisations. What’s your point ?

@Northwind, 50 is the tip of a very large iceberg. Just look at the individuals – not rank and file but senior members, head of councils etc. For the anti-semites Corbyn is the best thing that’s happened to them ever. He’s kicked the first two investigations into the long grass as he knew what was contained within them, now comissioned another to report later, much later and most definitely after the elections

Junkyard, the reality of these revelations is quite simply #jamba-told-you-so

Junkyard
    Free Member

Best troll ever
    😆

grum
    Free Member

Think it’s pretty obvious what my point was. It’s about rank hypocrisy, something you specialise in.

jambalaya
    Free Member

This firmly and eloquently hits the nail on the head

Labour has a severe problem with antisemitism that will get worse if the party’s inquiry into the issue is used as “sticking plaster” to placate voters, the chief rabbi has warned.

“There are many people, from all sectors of our society, who are demanding more responsibility, particularly from our politicians, for stamping out racism and antisemitism. The Labour party has a long and proud history of doing precisely that.

“Yet, comments from senior and long-standing members of the party, both Jewish and not, show just how severe the problem has now become.

“Everyone agrees that there must be no place for antisemitism in our politics and I welcome the inquiry recently announced by the party’s leadership. And yet, I would sound an urgent note of caution. In recent days, we have heard antisemitism in the Labour party described variously as ‘a smear’ and as ‘mood music’ being manipulated by political opponents of Jeremy Corbyn.

“There has been nothing more disheartening in this story than the suggestion that this is more about politics than about substance. The worst of mistakes, in trying to address this problem would be to treat it as a political attack which requires a political solution.”

He added: “Zionism is a movement celebrated by people right across the political spectrum, all over the world, and requires no endorsement or otherwise of the particular policies of any Israeli government at any time.

“But to those people who have nevertheless sought to redefine Zionism, who vilify and delegitimise it, be under no illusions – you are deeply insulting not only the Jewish community but countless others who instinctively reject the politics of distortion and demonisation.”

kimbers

Nah, misses the nail totally and slams down right on the thumb.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s about as eloquent as your prose Jamba.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Is this anti-semitic?

clodhopper
    Free Member

I cannot believe, given the glorious Bank holiday weekend many of us have had, that some of you appear to have spent all of it in front of a computer, arguing on here. The question you must ask yourselves, is ‘what have I actually achieved?’ Whilst it’s good to engage in debate and discussion, unless you are actually going to go in with an open mind and be willing to see things though another point of view, you’re just going to be pissing into the wind. I’ve not read all the preceding posts, but a quick glance suggests nothing more than the boringly predictable polarised guff you find all over the internet. A regurgitation of hasbara, little else.

Jambalaya; I’ve noticed you do seem to come in for a lot of stick on here, and I’m really not a fan of making things personal, but I think you would really do yourself a favour by stepping away from your keyboard a lot more often. The naivety and insularity of your arguments really don’t help you in such a debate at all. You’re by far from being alone on here in this, but you do stand out as being painfully lacking in self-awareness, to the point of ridicule. You cannot simply twist, distort and ignore facts to support your argument, it really does you no favours. As important an issue as this is, I’m really unwilling to engage with it on here, because it’s clear we will not reach any sort of intelligent consensus whilst people are so polarised and entrenched in their views. Having said that, I think there are several who could wind it in when it comes to criticising and even insulting you; it’s fine to expose another’s argument as weak, facile or incorrect, but resorting to ad hominem attacks to make another look inferior, is the mark of insecurity.

Anyway; the sun is shining and I for one won’t be stuck in front of a computer all day if I can help it. Good day to you all.

AlexSimon

kimbers – Member

Nah, misses the nail totally and slams down right on the thumb. Exactly. It just does exactly what every other piece I’ve read seems to do and that’s saying that “Labour has a problem with anti-semitism” without evidence other than – “Look! Someone else said that ‘Labour has a problem with anti-semitism’ therefore it must be true”.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 662 total)

The topic ‘Ken Livingstone steps in to calm antisemitism row in the Labour Party.’ is closed to new replies.