• This topic has 44 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Kelly Mcgarry On Hope Wheels For Rampage
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

Brave of Hope given his past history. Good on them though having the confidence to give a well-known destroyer of wheels a set to use in full public display.

honourablegeorge

To be fair, coming up short on thr Canyon gap and/or that ridiculous race down steps in China would have destroyed any wheel

andysredmini
    Free Member

I thought he was on Atomic labs DHR’s in china but yeah I agree.

P-Jay
    Free Member

They’ve got 7 riders on their wheels according to their FB page, quite an achievement!

SirHC

Would guess they are on the Tech SD:
    http://www.hopetech.com/eurobike-2015-part-2/

rhid

How many of the rampage riders are on 27.5 bikes?

I thought for that kind of riding the 26″ was still in favour?

scruff
    Free Member

Some on 27.5 bikes with 26 inch wheels.

P-Jay
    Free Member

rhid – Member

I’d imagine most, if not all will be on 650b.

The majority of them work for the bike companies either directly or by sponsorship.

Bearclaw raised enough eyebrows riding a Status last year instead of the Demo, no way Spesh would have let him wheel out an old model.

So, really it doesn’t matter what the rider would prefer, or what’s the best wheel size, if they want to keep their sponsorship deals they’ll ride the latest version of their sponsors big bike.

honourablegeorge

P-Jay – Member
    rhid – Member

I’d imagine most, if not all will be on 650b.

The majority of them work for the bike companies either directly or by sponsorship.

Bearclaw raised enough eyebrows riding a Status last year instead of the Demo, no way Spesh would have let him wheel out an old model.

Plenty on Pinkbike reckon Specialized didn’t want Claw on a Carbon Demo, dunno if true. He’s on Canyon this year.

Most YT riders running specially tweaked Tues with 26″ wheels.

rhid

Yeah Cam Zinc’s on 26″ this year. Actually he was the only riders bike I could find info on!

Vink was on 26″ last year on a 27.5 Gambler.

Maybe the manufactures are keeping quite about who is riding what sized wheels!!

honourablegeorge

Gambler has adjustable setup, will take either wheelsize.

warpcow
    Free Member

honourablegeorge – Member

Plenty on Pinkbike reckon Specialized didn’t want Claw on a Carbon Demo, dunno if true. He’s on Canyon this year.

Most YT riders running specially tweaked Tues with 26″ wheels.

Martin Söderström went with the Status too when he rode the Rampage back in 2012. He reckoned it was the more suitable bike and Spec. had nothing to say in the matter. Whether he and Bearclaw are on the same sponsorship terms in inknown though.

rhid

I have a status. I am not riding it down the rampage course!

The Claw’s new Canyon “looks” like it has 26″ wheels…..however without confirmation it would be difficult to say!

I think Graham Aggassiz is a 26″ wheel rider too. Is there any particular reason that they are going 26″ and not 27.5? Would it be to do with shifting the bike about in the air? Would the different wheel sizes really make a whole lot of difference? There must be some benefit of the smaller wheels or people wouldn’t be using them!

helpful1
    Free Member

Is there any particular reason that they are going 26″ and not 27.5?

Because EVERYTHING about 27.5 is shit.
    Weaker
    heavier
    harder work to style
    being the top 3

Rorschach
    Free Member

helpful1…..this is stw,you’ll be wanting Pinkbike for insightful and well thought out responses like that.

AlexSimon

Surely apart from the initial generalisation, he’s not wrong though.

The normal trade-off is better rollover and larger contact patch.

Neither of which matter too much for Rampage when you can run as gnarly a tyre as you like and groom the trail.

Also – lets not forget that many of us ride 27.5 not because it’s any better, but because that was what was available and will resell best.

roverpig

Also – lets not forget that many of us ride 27.5 not because it’s any better, but because that was what was available and will resell best.

Anybody who bases their buying decision on resale value these days is probably making a mistake. There are smart people in the marketing departments of big companies who are working very hard to make sure that whatever you buy today will be considered obsolete on a couple of years (or sooner if they can manage). Last year it was 27.5, this year it is Boost, next year it will be something else, but the end result is the same. Nobody (or very few people) will want your nice new bike in a few years.

helpful1
    Free Member

Rothchild is right.
    Pinkbike has far more decent riders who actually know what they’re talking about.

poisonspider
    Free Member

helpful1 – Member
    Rothchild is right.
    Pinkbike has far more decent riders who actually know what they’re talking about.

😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

isn’t it about ball size not wheel size?

letmetalktomark

helpful1 – Member

bigblackshed

Ha, he’s a card isn’t he?

Actually. If you’ve got some 26″ wheels I’ve got a XBox I can swap for them?

😉

gonzy
    Free Member

I thought he was on Atomic labs DHR’s in china but yeah I agree.

he destroyed the AtomLab DHR’s in both the China and Rampage crash. they’re mega tough rims so the impact must have been massive on both occasions

kimbers

Kona kept the process 167 26inch for Aggy

Assuming he’s on that or is he on an operator?

thepodge
    Free Member

Articles and classifieds are far better on Pinkbike than on here

scaredypants

we’ve got snobbery that’s out of their league, though 😀

superfli
    Free Member

Wouldnt you want the strongest wheels you can get for Rampage? Therefore 26″

andysredmini
    Free Member

He ought of been using the old Atomic labs trail pimp. I had some and they were so strong but 895g each. They would of broke rampage before rampage broke them.

philjunior
    Free Member

helpful1 is right in his first post.

26″ will be lighter, stronger, and rolling won’t matter so much.

Won’t be much lighter or much stronger as they’re very similar wheel sizes but there you go!

andysredmini
    Free Member

Strait from the mouth of some one who knows better than any of us muppets on here.
    Taken from pinkbike
    According to Zink, for DH racing he prefers to run a 27.5” wheel in the front and a 26” in the back, but when it comes time for Rampage, he finds that the slightly smaller wheels make it easier to maneuver the bike for flips and spins. A pair of Novatec Demon wheels are mounted up with a 2.7” Kenda Nevegal in the front and a 2.4” Honey Badger in the rear, both set up tubeless and inflated to 40 psi. That’s higher than usual, but the reasoning is that a little less traction is better than running the risk of rolling a tire off the rim mid-run.

kimbers

plenty on 26

but forget wheelsize, some are on carbon!!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-bikes-red-bull-rampage-2015.html

wrecker
    Free Member

Doerfling on Hope cranks too. That bloke’s a maniac so that’s a good advert for Hope.
    I wonder if any of the demo riders will hit the gap?

bigblackshed

As for advertising for Hope, they can’t lose.

If anyone has a massive crash and destroys their rims, then it will prove how extreme Rampage is. If someone has a massive crash and the rims survive, then it will prove how tough Hope rims are.

The few knobbers that go “well, Hope rims are crap, just look at what X rider did to them” is missing the point that 99.999% of riders will never huck themselves off a Utah cliff.

thepodge
    Free Member

he finds that the slightly smaller wheels make it easier to maneuver the bike for flips and spins. A pair of Novatec Demon wheels are mounted up with a 2.7” Kenda Nevegal in the front

Would a 26 x 2.7 not be very similar to a 650 x 2.3?

And if he’s running at 40psi then why run a 2.7 as it cant be for grip can it?

helpful1
    Free Member

Really?

You need tyre size choice explained to you?

hitting high speed moto sized dirt jumps?
    landing massive drops onto vert rock strewn moon dust?
    landing spins?
    here’s a clue… Would he need to run a 2.3 at even higher pressure?

think about it.

try to remember all the other advantages of not running fashion rims too.

thepodge
    Free Member

Just had a look at the pinkbike coverage. James Doerfling & Nicholi Rogatkin are running 2.4

I dont follow jumping and badass stuff, just though saying I like small wheels then sticking a massive tyre on it seemed odd

gonzy
    Free Member

Would a 26 x 2.7 not be very similar to a 650 x 2.3?

i run 26″ with a 2.4″ tyres. on of my friends runs 27.5″ with 2.35″ tyres. standing both our wheels side by side shows that they are the same height/diameter.

He ought of been using the old Atomic labs trail pimp. I had some and they were so strong but 895g each. They would of broke rampage before rampage broke them.

i used the 24″ version of the trailpimp rims on my dh bike and yes they are very strong. i’ve also been using the same DHR rims for the last 12 years…damn things wont break! they still run perfect and only the rear needed straightening when a broken rear mech snapped some spokes out a couple of years ago.
    heavy but tough as ****!!

helpful1
    Free Member

all that shows Gonzy is that tyre manufacturers do not measure their tyre sizes the same way or even very accurately.

Northwind

thepodge – Member

I dont follow jumping and badass stuff, just though saying I like small wheels then sticking a massive tyre on it seemed odd

Why? It’s still smaller and lighter than a bigger wheel with a massive tyre on.

I’ve never seen a 2.7 nevegal in the flesh but nevegals are usually accurately sized, I reckon it’ll be mahoosive. (there’d be no point making an undersized 2.7 when they do an accurately sized 2.5). With other brands, aye, a modern 2.4 maxxis is almost the same size as a 2.7 highroller, because they use a supertacky rubber ruler.

It’ll be all fat bikes next year.

thepodge
    Free Member

Why? It’s still smaller and lighter than a bigger wheel with a massive tyre on

But it looks like some are running small wheel and big tyres while others are running bigger wheels and small tyres so maybe there’s not much difference

I dont really care

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Kelly Mcgarry On Hope Wheels For Rampage’ is closed to new replies.