Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Kefalonia riding
  • geologist
    Free Member

Off to Kefalonia in a couple of weeks for my hols. Was hoping to get up early a few mornings before the family arise and sneak a ride in. Anyone know any good rides on the island, or if it is worth taking it at all?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

When I was there I saw a few guys on road bikes. No idea about MTB.

justatheory
    Free Member

Last time I was there I drove up the summit of Mount Ainos on a rocky dirt road. The road was dead because everyone uses the new tarmacked road on the other side to get the top. While on the way up I came across some MXers and thought it looked good for MTB.

It’s 1600m+ so bigger than Ben Nevis which makes for quite a bit of elevation loss. There must be trails on the mountain but other than this dirt track I didn’t say any. If I went back I’d be tempted to take the bike and get my Mrs to drive me to the top.

Lovely island. Have a good time!

geologist
    Free Member

Cheers, I though aboug the Mt Ainos thing. Sounds good to me 🙂

Digby

Kefalonia is a lovely Island – I took my Mountain Bike there in 2002 and had a great time.

You will probably be restricted to the unpaved dirt roads (that are reasonably well mapped on walking maps – available in shops on the island).

Unless you have good local knowledge, I’d avoid most of the ‘goat tracks’ as they are often dead ends and you end up in an olive grove and have to retrace your steps!

I was there last month for a family wedding and the island is actively encouraging walkers – quite a few clear way-marked walking routes have been introduced, however few of them would be suitable for a mountain bike and access rights seem a bit unclear …

We did meet a large group of German tourists on mtbs, hybrids & road bikes heading out on the road from Argostoli to Mytos beach. The road north is closed Above Myrtos though due to an earthquake causing a land-slip earlier this year. On the whole though there isn’t much provision for cycling so you’d have to be pretty self sufficient with spares etc.

A XC bike would be ideal and you could mix and match the ‘white roads’ and the dirt roads. It gets very hot though so early morning rides (like you’ve suggested) are often best.
    It’s actually pretty mountainous so there’s a lot of climbing involved – even just to get from one village to another. I went out early in the mornings and stopped off at the bakers on the way back to the villa with fresh bread for breakfast!

Nearby Levkas had quite an MTB scene a few years ago – and was favoured by the likes of Neilson Active holidays. This was before the boom in the Alps and MTB was more of a ‘value-add’ to sailing & windsurfing holidays.

Hope this helps … Enjoy!

trout
    Free Member

Was there a month ago and hired a mountain bike to explore
    had a great time but very hot so early morning it needs to be .
    Greek maps are not great but hard to get lost.

bearnecessities

Can’t remember, but make sure to eat the feta cheese & spinach parcels in filo pastry.

Seriously good!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Last time I was there I drove up the summit of Mount Ainos on a rocky dirt road.

I’ve ridden it. Was twenty years ago though so probably not a lot of use to the OP.

Personally I’d take the bike to pretty much any greek island, there’s always some dirt roads and back country tracks to be ridden. Maybe have a bit of a pre explore on the satellite view of google maps to see what looks like likely trails in the area then draw up a couple of maps before you go.

scratch
    Free Member

Loved it for road riding when I was there a few years back, so smooth!

I doubt they will be but, the roads are lethal in the wet, I went around the corner as an old woman was watering her hanging baskets and came off like I’d hit a patch of ice!

Have a good time, I’ve been 3 times and quite fancy going back.
    I need to get my KOM’s back off this Greek feller!

geologist
    Free Member

Cheers all. I think I will take it. Even just for some dirt road riding. Will report back 🙂

Digby

I doubt they will be but, the roads are lethal in the wet

You’re spot on – they are lethal when wet … and I’ve been to the island 3 times and it’s rained heavily each time. Dries out pretty quick though!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Kefalonia riding’ is closed to new replies.