Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Keeping water out of waterproof footwear
  • rascal
    Free Member

Bought some Northwave Celsius boots just after Xmas.
    Last 2 rides I’ve ended up with wet feet!
    Nothing’s coming through them – just through that big gap where your feet go in.
    How do you stop that?
    The obvious way is to water waterproof trousers over the tops but I like to wear waterproof shorts if it’s not too cold…any tips appreciated. In not really benefitting from the fact they’re waterproof at the mo 😕

Speshpaul

Gaiters.

rascal
    Free Member

Shorts and gaiters – let me have a think about that 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

Bought the exact same shoes myself – haven’t had problems with water getting in. I’m just making sure the two stretchy closures are pulled tight. I also ordered a size bigger than normal and am wearing a thin pair of ordinary socks under thermal socks, so if my feet do get wet, they will stay warm.

Will we be getting the chance to compare footwear notes in person soon on a Wednesday, by the way?

We are still getting out for a ride and a pint – this Wednesday at the Rag n Mop, next Wednesday at ‘the other place’.

rascal
    Free Member

I might just do that Danielson.
    Haven’t used lights since last time I was out with you lot…who’s out these days?
    Didn’t have the stretchy bits pulled tight though so that’s the obvious first port of call.

butcher

I’ve had this problem with my Shimano winter boots, and someone suggested fashioning some marigolds into short gaiters – more of an extension of the waterproof cuff at the top really. Not actually got round to trying it.

I did find that the main problem was water running down my leg, from the stream of water fired up from the front wheel. Then as you’re pedalling, the cuff deforms and opens up a channel, letting a stream of water into your boot.

househusband

Years ago Edinburgh Bikes used to sell a German brand called ‘Protective’ and I bought a pair of these; they form a good seal around the top of the boot:

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/protective-bootlegs/aid:447512

Shred
    Free Member

I use dry suit ankle seals like these ones
    http://www.seaskin.co.uk/acatalog/Latex-Ankle-Seals-36cm–Pair–Spare-part–LATEXANKLESEAL36CM.html

Stops water running down your leg into the boot.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

You can buy the long rubber gloves from Tesco and cut the hands off. Use the black ones no one will seem them 😉 Ankle gaiters and or Endura singletrack trousers.

Mat

I used the drysuit seal method, not the most flattering but it keeps the worst out, can stop the boots breathing a bit so can still end up wet if its a bit warmer.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dry-suit-cuffs-for-goretex-boots

jekkyl

Andy-R

I use Berghaus ankle gaiters, with Shimano winter boots. Seems to help quite a bit, although water will always get in, unless you gaffer tape them to your legs.

scaredypants

Cut the wrist-pieces off a pair of marigolds in a suitable size for your lower calves and then wear overlapping the tops of your booties

They may not last forever (though mine last well) but it’ll prove the concept for a quid or two

downshep

Use MT91s for winter duties, same problem. Now wearing ankle length gaiters with full waterproof trousers over the top. Can hose myself down after riding and remain perfectly dry. Best to use gaiters with a stirrup to stop the bottom edge riding up. Cable ties make better stirrups than bulky stirrup straps.

Junkyard
    Free Member

cheap = marigolds
    Expensive = dry suit cuffs
    Gaiters work as well

Suggsey
    Free Member

Get over the hang up about not being cool wearing waterproof long trousers! I have used them for years with all sorts of waterproof winter boots and surprisingly enough my feet remain warm and dry as do my bib Knicks.
    Seriously no ones going to take the rise because your not in shorts 😆

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Yeah but you sweat like a Turkish wrestler in waterproof trousers. It is annoying, considering going round the tops with shower sealant next time. Short socks help stop it wicking in a bit.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Better in my book a bit of swear than boots full that then take days to dry out plus I have to admit I’m not allowed tight socks/footwear/marigolds/gaiters.
    I was out on Saturday in that torrential wind and rain for just shy of three hours, wearing Altura Attack longs, bib Knicks and wool socks and was genuinely dry when I got home, through rivers of water, mud, etc etc etc. They are cleaned/ DWR refreshed regular and do wonder if people that have bad experiences with them are cleaning them of their sweat etc after every long ride in them.
    NB I can’t wear shorts in them as my sweaty skin does stick to them and it is unpleasant!

mattsccm
    Free Member

I make a seal from motorcycle innertube. Brilliant. Tougher than Marigold’s and black. That seals the top of my overshoes or waterproof socks perfectly.

rascal
    Free Member

Get over the hang up about not being cool wearing waterproof long trousers!

What ‘hang up’?
    As it wasn’t actually raining when I was riding I wanted to wear shorts…not because they’re ‘cool’ (well, they literally are cool) – as has since been pointed out you sweat like a bastard in them – I’d rather get muddy legs. Will try the black marigold trick though first – if that fails I’ll try other Heath Robinson attempts.
    Just out of interest mattsccm, how much are motorbike innertubes?

Suggsey
    Free Member

😆 Rascal, don’t worry about it, wasn’t meant as a personal affront merely my view on biking fashion/practicality when such issues are raised.

rascal
    Free Member

Ok Suggsey – no harm done. However, I have only just stopped crying 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

I have a hang up about not being cool in full length waterproof trousers. That’s ‘cool’ in the literal sense rather than the figurative. The only time I can wear full length waterproof strides without melting is in slushy snow where it is cold enough to allow me to be comfortable.

Rascal – if you’re keen, the meeting time is still 7pm as it always was……….

LoCo
    Free Member

Knee length seal skinz socks work well for me with my Shimano winter boots.

Scapegoat

Gaffer tape. Shave your ankles first.

kcr
    Free Member

I use Shimano boots with full goretex trousers that cover the ankle for riding to work when it is wet, and my feet stay dry. With normal riding gear the water just gets in the top and my feet end up soaked. I think overshoes and shoes with drainage are perhaps just a better solution in very wet conditions.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Simple. For me, from the ground up:

Shimano Mt90 boot
    Berghaus Glacier ankle gaiter
    Altura Attack over-trousers.

Rode the Borrowdale Bash route yesterday in filthy conditions. Only time I got damp was after an OTB into a bog, and I only got wet as I’d left one of pocket’s the waterproof zip open.

edit:
    Note, I only wear that full getup in winter in foul conditions.

Also, just seen that you want to wear shorts.
    Not a lot you can do there. If you’re happy with wet legs, you get wet feet too.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’s clear to me that the best solution is as per ir_banditos approach, but I hate wearing knee pads under trousers.

I ended up with knee length waterproof socks, as per loco, except I’m using neoprene instead of seal skins. That way, the socks sit under the pads and water proof shorts take care of the rest.

Whilst my feet do get wet from sweat, they’re still WAY drier than my old seal skins used to get. The benefit of neoprene socks is that even if water does get in, I can shake the aock out and ita effectively dry again straight away. This is pretty handy for repeat riding.

avdave2

Black heavy duty marigolds have also worked for me.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Keeping water out of waterproof footwear’ is closed to new replies.