Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Keeping up with a language.
  • juan
    Free Member

Ok, here is my problem.

Looking to my last post, it looks like my level of english has gone downhill, and barel like…
    I do more and more grammar and spelling mistakes and it seems that I am loosing my english on the understanding side (some series I watch on the computer are causing me problems).

So what are the STW advices to try to keep my level of english at least constant?

donsimon
    Free Member

I too am losing my English, 10 years out of the UK and I know I’m losing vocabulary.
    Very seriously, the only way to maintain your level is by speaking English.
    See if you can get into some sort of intercambio scene (see?). I don’t know where you’re living, so there may be a limitation if there aren’t many Brits working or studying in your area.

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

Marry an english bloke. That’s what i did.

donsimon
    Free Member

Can’t anyone be serious on here anymore? 🙄

juan
    Free Member

LOL at mrs mugsy. Well tell him to get your bloke to get a motorcycle and to ride it down south 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I too am losing my English, 10 years out of the UK and I know I’m losing vocabulary.

Sounds like a new excuse. When did you stop using “I’m just a bit thick, sorry”?

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

He’s in Africa at the moment, learning french with the mauritanians

crikey
    Free Member

Juan, do you read English books?

I suspect that without reading and trying to speak English, you will lose that familiarity with the language. English radio?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Juan,

enter into business with us – you can be our French outlet….

donsimon
    Free Member

When did you stop using “I’m just a bit thick, sorry”?

When I forgot how to spell ‘thick’! 😳

RealMan
    Free Member

Read.

MrSparkle

Psst – it’s ‘losing’. Hth.

john_drummer
    Free Member

hey you think you have problems 😉

I’ve been working in Barnsley for the last 10 years, I’m also starting to lose my English in favour of the local dialect

tha jus’ ‘as to watch Kes on t’telly, tha noz

seriously though, as said above, “use it or lose it” – that’s what happened to my French.
    Remember also if you’re watching TV shows on the computer, they’ll all have their local slang, dialects and other deviations from “standard” English. If they’re US shows, they can vary from Noo Yoik to LA via Noo Orleans, y’all, and god forbid you should watch something set in one of the English provinces or 😯 Scotland. And then there’s Aussie English…

donsimon
    Free Member

Reading alone isn’t enough, you have to speak.

don simon (TEFL)

GEDA
    Free Member

It can’t be that bad can it? The amount of English tv, media and film I would of thought it would be almost impossible to lose English. It surprises me as I live in Sweden and they have such good English. Ok grammar is not perfect but better than my Swedish. If its not the language you use every day it is going to be harder but not many people are going to notice. I have noticed that I sometimes speak English using Swedish grammar but my brain is maybe getting too old!

juan
    Free Member

Well zed don’t tempt me 😉
    I watch a lot on the iplayer/tinterweb. I read books but and this is scaring me the english book I am reading right now seems tedious. But true I don’t speak.
    GEDA I don’t want to be OK I use to be on the average plus side of the english (well I hope I was). That is actually where it hurts

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Have a read of my posts on here. There are many. You will learn English propply, like what I talk.

Or get Skypes, and you can have conversations with me online, text and spoken.

It’s the only way.

john_drummer
    Free Member

some books are tedious, so I wouldn’t worry too much about that 😉

Your English reads well to me Juan, way better than my French will ever be.

If you can find an English version of a book that you’ve enjoyed in French, perhaps that may help. Don’t try any of the “classics” of English Literature, many of them are extremely dull IMO. Especially if you’re reading them as a language exercise, it will seem like homework.

druidh
    Free Member

Time to visit the UK again 😉

juan
    Free Member

Druidh, don’t says that or you might get me ringing on your door bell 😉
    I just need a job first though 🙁

BigJohn

Can you get English language podcasts from the BBC where you live? Some are to be avoided – like Colin Murray’s Fighting Talk. Wonderful as he is he uses a strong Norn Iron dialect “Robbie Savage needed booked” etc. But ones like Mayo & Kermodes film review are great.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I colleague at work is Portuguese and speaks English with half-Porto, half American accent. This is because he learned American English by watching lots of US TV comedy shows.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Keeping up with a language.’ is closed to new replies.