Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Keeping toddlers busy – baking content
  • steveoath
    Free Member

anyone suggest easy recipes suitable to make with a toddler?

Did pizza bases (then topped them) but was a bit stodgy. Anything Christmas themed would be ideal!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Mince pies/ jam tarts

pastry base, fill with jam/mince, and top with a pastry star/tree etc.
    sprinkle with icing sugar snow

Scapegoat

Ginger fairings….rolling the mixture into balls before popping them on a baking sheet….Stickyfingertastic. 😈

sandwicheater

Salt dough, then make some Xmas decorations with it.

Ginger bread men, always fun.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ginger bread !

Simple and no end of stuff/shapes you can make.

On Christmas Eve we will be making a ginger bread house…. Easy compared to ginger bread car that has been made previously.

Chocolate cakes easy enough too. A nice introduction to power tools…ok electric whisk, but Jnr FD loves the fact he has control, even if it means the bowel ends up spinning round at high speed

Sandwich

Nigella’s Christmas Rocky Road, you may need to tone down the amaretto slightly though!

Mince pies with filo pastry. 3 x 4″ squares of pre-made filo arranged in a star pattern, blob of mincemeat in the middle. Draw the corners up to make a parcel and coat the pastry with melted butter. Oven for 15 mins(check online), dredge with icing sugar and serve.

Use Delias recipe for home made mincemeat as another idea for making.

theotherjonv

There’s a book ‘My Daddy Cooks’ by Nick Coffer that has loads of toddler and kid friendly recipes in there (ie: they can make them and they like eating them, without being over simple, so they get to try new things). You can also get some recipes off facebook and his website, for stuff like cheese and bacon scones, and chocolate tray bake and stuff like that.

It’s amazing how open minded my two were about trying things that they’d cooked, whereas if we’d have served it up unseen they’d have turned their noses up.

garage-dweller

River cottage 10 minute cookie recipe (in the everyday book but probably online somewhere)

Home made mince pies or jam tarts are good and the recipe I found on the BBC for lebkuchen looked easy enough, although not actually tried it yet.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cookies. They can decorate each one with a wide variety of ‘spinkles’ or get some little tubes of writing icing. Then you can still eat them if they aren’t all decorated when they get bored.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Anything from CBBC’s Katie, I can cook.

djglover
    Free Member

Rocky road is a good one, smashing biscuits and stirring in marshmallow is about all there is to it so they can really get involved

firestarter
    Free Member

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Keeping toddlers busy – baking content’ is closed to new replies.