Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Keeping the tubeless faith
  • jimmy

I’ve about had enough of getting to “go tubeless”. I’ve posted before on this and taken on board all the tips I could but invariably ended up sticking in a tube because I got fed up. So it came round again and I thought this is it, this time… But no, still it goes pan flat overnight and I can’t be arsed starting over again.

Is it really worth persevering?

ajantom

Yes! 5 of my bikes are tubeless now, and really is so much easier.

I’ve had one ‘proper’ flat in 3 years – a proper sidewall rip. Plus a couple of overnight flats where they just went down, but I just pumped them up again and it was fine.

I live in an area with lots of brambles, gorse, and thorns, so before I went tubeless i was getting flats on most rides.

jedi

yeh i use inner tubes in my car as they are easier to

timbickham
    Free Member

The pros far outweigh the cons. I’ve been tubeless for maybe 3 years now without issue. I know some tyre and rim combinations are problematic, what’s your setup?

survivor

Bad workman blames tools.

DezB
    Free Member

Started tubeless about 10 years ago… can’t believe there are people still using tubes! Has yer bike got v-brakes? 😆

oldnpastit

Prep the rim properly and it’s usually fine. I like to sand it down a bit, and clean with IPA, just to ensure the duck tape sticks properly.

Someone else on here suggested putting electrical tape underneath as well.

Did one yesterday, only took slightly longer than putting in a tube.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Are you riding it? Mine go flat over a few hours if I don’t ride it straight away. Spinning the wheel doesn’t help, it needs to be ridden.

warpcow
    Free Member

What do you mean with “starting over again” after it goes flat? Just pump it up and go for a ride. There’s no better way of distributing the sealant within the tyre.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes the best thing I have done recently, up there with disc brakes and droppers.
    Proper tubeless rims, decent tyres, properly taped and off you go. Set it up a bit hard, ride it around spin in and keep an eye on it for pressure.

Yak

As well as prepping the rim properly, I also clean the release agent off the inside of new tyres. Bit of soapy water and an old scourer sponge, then rinse does it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yak – Member
    As well as prepping the rim properly, I also clean the release agent off the inside of new tyres. Bit of soapy water and an old scourer sponge, then rinse does it.

Really? Proper rims?
    Last lot of MAxxis went up straight from the shelf – in fact all have done

Yak

Nothing to do with the rims. Tbh it’s probably a hang up from the days of me running non tubeless tyres with very porous sidewalls. Cleaning the release agent off meant the stans sealed the sidewalls quicker. Still do it now though.

noltae
    Free Member

OP – you say you can’t be arsed – enjoy your sluggish puncture prone tubes then.

Kahurangi

Tubelessness is not a matter of faith. It’s evidence based.

bob_summers

I’m not entirely convinced by tubeless, in fact almost went back to tubes after a couple of latex facials from a front wheel puncture, and the time a tyre blew off the rim in the middle of the night, covering the bedroom ceiling and walls in Stan’s (and almost finishing off our elderly cat). I don’t think I’d miss it, but the modicum of faff does seem to be worth it in time saved at the trailside. I ride in a faily flint/thorn-free area though, so YMMV.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Keeping the tubeless faith’ is closed to new replies.