Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Keeping the neighborhood cats out of our garden.
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

How do other people do it? I’m sick of cat shit everywhere. What are other people using that’s effective.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Tiger poo and a water cannon

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Get a cat, preferably a male one.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I take a big dump next to theirs.
    Show them who’s the big dog.

bearnecessities

Water poo and a tiger cannon.

Lester
    Free Member

you are lucky, the other morning there was a german shepherd pooing on my lawn,

it was even worse the next day as he brought his dog with him boom boom 🙂

matt_outandabout

Employ some of the neighborhood muscle for a week?

This chap had some success as well…
    [video]http://youtu.be/uIbkLjjlMV8[/video]

gonzy
    Free Member

get one of these…
    http://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-23493.html?adtype=pla_with_promotion&kwd=&showPLA=true&option=6206&gclid=CK_z-rmip8MCFfQatAodlXUAcA

we’ve not had a problem since we put one in 18 months ago…
    they will try at first but then get the message…but in case they dont, keep the super soaker locked and loaded!

gonzy
    Free Member

you are lucky, the other morning there was a german shepherd pooing on my lawn,

it was even worse the next day as he brought his dog with him boom boom

Lester
    Free Member

haha

rocketman
    Free Member

What are other people using that’s effective

Another cat

Watched the neighbourhood hard cat strut up the road the other morning it crossed the road when it got to our house, kept looking over until it had gone past then crossed over again 🙂

scotroutes

A snare. Once the first one is caught, leave it to die and fester. The other cats will soon get the message.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We’re not getting a cat. A super soaker would be great, maybe not cruel enough for my liking but we’re not around enough to make it effective.

geoffj

Once they’ve been caught and relocated, they won’t be a problem.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Havahart-Collapsible-1-Door-Nuisance-Animals/dp/B000BX1H76

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I like the idea of a trap then posting a ransom note on Facebook.

scotroutes

A webcam on the snare might get more immediate results

zippykona

cbike
    Free Member

Sacrifice a well manucured peaty loamy surface. For that is where they prefer. Feed the boss cat only and make the territory not neutral anymore.

fire up an18khz test tone.

Big hose.

Stare at them.

Encourage foxes

footflaps

Our cats are too lazy to go next door to poo, they just use our flower beds 🙁

andyfla
    Free Member

Ours used to use our kitchen floor if it was raining,

Bless her

njee20
    Free Member

Our cats are too lazy to go next door to poo, they just use our flower beds

As they bloody well should!

I’ve been squirting our neighbours cat with the hose (pressure as high as possible) or a water bottle or anything to hand. It’s now terrified of me (fine line though, don’t want it to empty its bowels on sight…), but still daring enough to enter the garden if I’m not visible, but hasn’t been crapping. Feels like progress. Wet, satisfying progress.

FWIW I really like cats, and if ms njee20 wasn’t allergic we’d have one, but I really don’t want someone elses shitting all over my garden.

andyfla
    Free Member

FWIW I really like cats

I hate them, but do I have a choice about having one ?

somafunk

You could get a low voltage wire trailed round or back and forward across your garden, kind of like the electric fence that is used for cattle, it doesn’t fry the cats so quite safe for them and it only takes a few weeks use to permanently deter the offending moggies from entering your property.

CaptainSlow

I used to have an issue with a lot of cats and foxes.

Found that cat repellant from b&q along with peeing in various spots worked very well.. Went from about 3 per 24h to 1 per week. Also chase the buggers if you see them. If particularly vindictive wait till the bomb doors open then chase them. They hate being interrupted mid bombing run.

since moving I now just have foxes to worry about. I’m handing over territorial duties to the new pup so at last no longer needing to pee in the garden 🙂

(Nb – pee into bottle for front lawn. Neighbours do not think windmills are amusing)

hels
    Free Member

The only 100% effective longterm solution is to concrete over the whole garden. You have made it too attractive for them with your careful maintenance, turning over the soil so it is nice and fresh and easy to dig. Or chuck some wood chippings down, they hate that.

(P.S – I used to like you Steven)

zippykona

We have a supply of balls which we throw at the cats if we see them. Just opening our windows now makes them jump off the fence into their garden. They have to learn to fear you.
    Living next door to a cat breeder keeps us busy. Apparently I’m being unreasonable asking them to try and stop them shitting in our garden.

wrecker
    Free Member
    jamesfts
    Free Member

What about keeping the little sods off a car?

I’ve tried the cat repellent stuff, can’t see the car from the house so water cannon/shotgun* aren’t viable (plus the shot gun might damage the car!), don’t really fancy peeing on the car either. Did think about leaving the dogs in the car for a few weeks or lashing them to a roof bar**.

*I probably wouldn’t really use a shotgun
    **or tie the dogs to the roof of my car… they might scratch it!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I don’t mind cats its the owners I don’t like.

rumple
    Free Member

2 words:

land mine

hels
    Free Member
    deadkenny
    Free Member

Your own cat is usually the best way. It will fight off intruders, mark its territory, and best of all it will go shit in your neighbours gardens 😆

Far better than a dog, which will shit in your own garden and not even have the decency to bury it.

anagallis_arvensis

Lurcher

gonzy
    Free Member

the best way is to use an ultrasonic cat repeller. even the most basic £20 unit has a range of 30m and with a 98 degree sensor angle. this is enough for most gardens. but if your garden is a funny shape then you’ll need more than one. they can be run via the mains or just using 9v batteries.
    they are very effective for cats, dogs and other small animals.
    cats may initially try again but after a short while they realise that taking a dump within the sensor range of one of these devices is very uncomfortable for them so they will find another garden to crap in

wiredog
    Free Member

Brought one of these (if link works) ww.amazon.co.uk/Selections-GFA805-Operated-Ultrasonic-Batteries/dp/B0077LW0M6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421933214&sr=8-2&keywords=cat+deterrent
    Works surprisingly well for the money with only the occasional stubborn cat venturing in the garden now.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Keeping the neighborhood cats out of our garden.’ is closed to new replies.