Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Keeping rust at bay on VW T25/car
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

My camper has some superficial rust on seams and a few rust bubbles, nothing that has gone through as yet (I hope not)

Without spending £100s whats the best way to treat?

Hammerite

Direct To Rust Metal Paint – Smooth Finish – Colour Mixing
    Durable, corrosion resistant decorative coating for ferrous and non-ferrous metals, certain plastics and wood. This is a brilliant gloss finish which will retain its sheen for years.

Can be applied directly onto rusty metal.
    No need for primer or undercoat.
    Corrosion resistant.
    Hammerite forms a superior barrier that not only seals out moisture but gives long lasting protection both inside and outside.

is this the stuff to use ?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Nope.
    The seams are a real pain, you need to make sure you clean off all the rust or it will be back again before you can blink. Clean off all the surface rust you can find, then clean out the seam with a thin wire disc on a drill. If you can lay your hands on a fine blaster that is even better. Then use one of the better rust treatments and try and get it as far into the seam as possible. (if you can get to the seam from inside it would be even better). Then replace the seam sealer and I would use an etch primer and then spray with touch up pain in the original colour. I’m about to do the same as you on my Westy and Syncro so I feel your pain.
    Unfortunately, the way this model was built creates the problem.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

thanks rogerthecat

by the time I have bought all the products that would be needed for the job prob the best part of a £100 and I dont have a clue about rust etc it might be worth spending the extra and getting “dave the sprayer” (thats the guy I have used in the past) to do it…

mk1fan
    Free Member

You can get all the bits you need for a lot less that £100. It’s a workmanship issue rather than the need for a specific product.

There are plenty of rust convertors to choose from that can be applied to the cleaned area. The treated areas can then be primered ready for a top coat.

When Wheeler Dealers did the MX-5, the MGB GT and the original, green Mini (not the 50th anniversary one) there was a lot of rust treated and Edd China demonstrated how to deal with diffrernt types really clearly. You Tube is your friend.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Also, it depends upon the condition of your van too – our Westy is very tidy so I’ll pay to have the paint done – will do the prep myself.
    The Syncro has been sprayed in black rustoleum and is far more “rugged” so will be doing that one at home.
    If the van is in good nick and you do a less than pro job you can knock a lot off the value.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Have used the usual rust protection stuff from halfrauds with limited success.

Have a look at dinitrol products they look to be pro quality

Remember rust never sleeps

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

spent the day getting the rust out of the seams, not as bad as I thought (mmm it’ll be back )

Have treated with Vactan rust/primer stuff, whats the next move seam sealer or primer ? After the primer comes the paint.

I know this isnt a VW forum but my brain cant take another forum !

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Keeping rust at bay on VW T25/car’ is closed to new replies.