Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Keeping Quails!!
  • jekkyl

I’m considering getting some quails for the garden, they’re quite cute and we don’t have any pets and I reckon my 4yr old little girl would love them. From what I’ve read they look pretty easy to keep, just need like a rabbit hutch and a bit of a run, I would intend to clip their wings and have them wonder the garden in the summer months when we’re outside. They’re really cheap as well, live birds for like 3-5 quid and you can buy buy eggs for hatching on eBay 20/30 for a fiver. Good eating if they die and they produce tasty eggs for nought. I have a medium sized fully fenced garden and there’s a spot by the shed which would be ideal. Any drawbacks or experiences I’d be glad to hear.

bearnecessities

Good eating if they die

Fitting a defribulator in the hutch makes the quails come alive.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I have vivid memories of the fox getting our chickens when I was about that four or five – perhaps not the experience you want for your little girl. They were fun though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RobHilton
    Free Member

Good eating if they die

From disease?

mrwhyte
    Free Member

eggs are great for making mini scotch eggs. mmmmmm.
    They are the easiest bird to keep if you do not have much space.

jekkyl

What would be the most humane way of killing them for the pot you reckon? Was thinking just wring their little necks or a big knife….. 😕

ElShalimo

bearnecessities – Member 
    Good eating if they die

Comedy gold

BigJohn

As long as they die from TB.

Six Fif TB.

bigjim

We had quails when I was wee, we had chickens and just fenced off a bit of the chicken run for them. They are great little things, the eggs are lovely. They are very nervous birds and never got happy with people being in with them, they just freeze and hide and panic if you approach them but if you have them from very young they might be more used to you.

We had them for a few years but in the end they were predated, you have to bury the edges of the cage fencing quite deep underground to stop things like weasels getting in but even then a weasel or something did get burrow under the fencing and take ours. You need a complete enclosure as birds of prey will love them too. Definitely need a good run for them as they spend most of their time out and about foraging. Our male was called Dan Quail, it was the 80’s…

mrjmt
    Free Member

Six Fif TB.

😐

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Keeping Quails!!’ is closed to new replies.