Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Keeping or selling a bike where's the tipping point ?
  • oldfart

Reading the Shed Queens thread has got me thinking . Just put my Spicy up for sale as I’ve got my eye on something else . Thing is I reckon I’m only going to get about £800 for it if I’m lucky , so IF I get some interest whether to move it on or hang on to it ? Could be another garage queen in the making !

Yak

I’ve hung on to stuff for too long before finally getting rid. Sell it the moment you stop using it or you want something else. Pointless doing anything else.

roverpig

Following my post on the Shed Queens thread I had a quick look at the prices of old Principia road bikes on ebay. Looks like what I’d get for it would barely be more than a few tanks of petrol. Hardly worth the effort and I’ve got a nice big shed. I can see how people end up with loads of bikes that barely get ridden.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have I used it this year = no = goodbye

Yak

Well it might only be a few tanks of petrol, but you’ve had your use of it and it’s now doing nothing for you. It could part-fund something useful to you now. That’s what I think anyway. Just had a clear-out and have ordered a new wheelset.

z1ppy

Yak +1.. I’m in the process of clearing stuff I’ve held onto too long, could have gotten more (but was too little in my mind) when I stopped using them. Now I have a garage full of bikes, and fancy another.. but the missus is looking at the garage full and asking why would I need another?

That said it taken 2 years for me to come to the conclusion I don’t want to ride them any more, before I always thought I can “use” those if I wanted to.
    So can’t help on the tipping point question.

lunge

It’s a difficult balance. My only MTB for instance very rarely gets used, once or twice a year at a guess. But it was/is a slow decline of usage, slowly dropping from every week to every month to every quarter to now over 3 or 4 years. After that long, combined with the fact that it’s a XL 26″ hardtail means it will fetch very little. So mine will stay as it’s not worth selling.

cookeaa

I’ve hung on to stuff for too long before finally getting rid. Sell it the moment you stop using it or you want something else. Pointless doing anything else.

He’s right of course, but I tend to go way beyond the “tipping point” and just keep things for too long, then end up wanting rid of a bike at almost any cost… The selling can become a pain in itself, plus there’s notions of “Value” (Your idea of “Worth” Vs a potential buyers) that often complicate things…

At the minute I’d prefer some Garage space to getting top dollar for some of my unused bikes/kit, but I also can’t be arsed to box up post the buggers…

parkesie
    Free Member

Shes in the kitchen.

pictonroad

If you live in the South East in particular it’s worth doing a quick calc to work out how much the real estate under your bike has cost you for the last 2 years… 😉

I get shot of mine sharpish now, let someone else use it, it’s a lot easier to part with them than you think it will be.

cookeaa

Well I’ve been inspired enough to bung some stuff up for sale (yet again) Here and on Fleabay…

And I’ll probably put some more kit up for sale once I get some photos taken tonight…

Earl
    Free Member

want….

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’ve taken my shed from being a cramped and badly organised shambles full of decrepit, under-used and badly maintained bikes, to a clean, well-lighted and nicely organised space with enough space to sit in an easy chair listening to the radio, work out or do some turbo sessions if I get really bored.

I “lost” thousands in letting go of old equipment to free up the space, but it was worth it.

🙂

br
    Free Member

Only sell stuff you aren’t going to use, therefore why sell a bike that is full of consumables which you’ll only need to buy when you wear-out/break.

Just sell the frame.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I surprised myself by giving away a bike recently. It was an old hybrid that used to be my only bike. Then I got better bikes and stopped using it.

The last time I used it was when my road bike was written off in a crash and I commuted on it for a week or two before the insurance money came through. I then bought several more bikes. I finally realised that if my new commuter was written off I have at least three other bikes I’d prefer to commute on than the hybrid, and none of the parts would be any use on any of my current bikes.

I got rid of it mainly to free up space in the garage rather than because I thought it was worth anything so was happy to give it away to someone who would use it.

andyv
    Free Member

“Keeping or selling a bike where’s the tipping point?”

About 3 seconds after your mate gets a new bike and starts kicking your arse!

Andy

chakaping
    Free Member

Sell it, but buy secondhand to replace it.

Or new if you’re getting a proper bargain.

But don;t get sucked into believing you got to spend £2k to get a MTB frame that’s worth riding.

deviant
    Free Member

They’re just tools that allow you to enjoy the hobby, which is riding….the riding is the important part.

If you’re not doing much riding on a particular bike sell it….just dont leave yourself without a bike as you can be sure that as soon as the bike has gone you’ll want to go for a ride again or someone will tell you about some good new riding in your area and you’ll be kicking yourself.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m having a bit of a clearout, too many cheap-ish bikes and bits doing nothing. Decided that despite it feeling bad selling stuff for a fraction of what I paid for it, it’s only going to devalue further and I won’t use most of it again.

Planning to reduce the heard to:
    Singlespeed XC bike
    Road bike

And buy in a:
    A nice XC bike, maybe carbon from ICAN.
    Commuter (problem is the SS makes a great commuter with guards, but I want it without guards for off road and it’s too much faff swapping wheels/tyres, really I just want a spare bike with as manny common spares as possible!)

And maybe:
    CX bike (need to get fit first)
    Fat bike (need to figure out how to justify it first on top of the winter and summer XC bikes)
    Enduro bike (dabbled with my Pitch, love that kinda riding, hate having to drive at least 2-3 hours to get to any).

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Keeping or selling a bike where's the tipping point ?’ is closed to new replies.