Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Keeping lower back warm – any tips?
  • big_scot_nanny

Long story short – slightly dicky lower back, twinges HARD when it gets cold during a ride when sweat cools down.

Any ideas on keeping it warm? Temp is well managed on rest of body, but this part gets cold, then OUCH!! end of bike ride, long, cold, walk/saddle-down scoot home.

On cold rides wear thermal bibs tights or 3/4ers, merino base, another thin mid layer then a windproof shell. rest of body is OK. Don’t wear a pack.

would a lowwer back warmer be a good idea? Non-merino base (does get a bit cold when damp)? thicker bibs?

dougiedogg
    Free Member

Tuck your shirt in and wear a belt

cynic-al
    Free Member

wear a windstopper type top so your back isn’t as sweaty.

big_scot_nanny

dougiedogg – Member

Tuck your shirt in and wear a belt

But then the bum of my chino’s will get mucky! 🙂

dougiedogg
    Free Member

Brown/black chinos?

benp1

Try a Brynje mesh base layer. It’s always dry as it doesn’t hold moisture, might be more comfortable

Also, how about an insulated gilet of some form, that might help?

Worst comes to worst, wear a back protector. Combined with the waist belt your back will be very warm

MoreCashThanDash

A vest. Your mum was right, you should never go out when it is chilly without a vest.

MrsMC wears a neoprene/Velcro back support thing when she is running. It might help, but not sure how comfy it would be on a bike, to be fair.

And everything else in the washing machine sticks to the Velcro bit like shit to a blanket!

hairylegs
    Free Member

Try a Brynje mesh base layer

Massive fan of mesh base layers here…buy one, you won’t regret it.

A bit unfashionable with MTBers maybe, but how about trying Deep Heat. I know the science is a little flawed, but even it acts as a placebo it might be worth a go.

Ioneonic

As above re base layers. Increasingly I think merino is not suited to sweaty conditions. Better for low intensity stuff. I get much less sweaty (then cold) using synthetic mesh base layers. Enough that I wear less layers generally now.

matt_outandabout

Don’t wear a pack.

slowster
    Free Member

Does your shell ride up at the back when on the bike? This might be more likely if it has an elasticated hem, and especially if it is not designed for cycling with a longer cut at the back.

A cold lower back is bad news, and I think even many purpose made cycling jackets are badly designed and fail to properly cover the lower back. Similarly in my experience many manufacturers produce base layers that are not long enough in the back.

chakaping
    Free Member

Get one of those packs that sits on your lower back? Wingnut were the originators but I think I’ve seen some other firms doing them now.

IainAhh
    Free Member

Fold up a fleece type BUFF and tuck it down your top/pants in the lower back area. I do this for biking, skiing, walking etc when v cold. Great for keeping that bit warm.

cyclingmev
    Free Member

Ease my cranky back after walking with a long wheat sack (stay with me..) microwaved+held in place by my gilet..Maybe adapt something similar with using self heating sacks inside a back pocket of a cycling Jersey?

big_scot_nanny

Many thanks all, appreciate the responses from Brown Chinos to water bottles 🙂

I think making a fleecy lower back warmer tucked into the bibs might be a good idea. Will also stop wearing merino, I agree with comments above that it does hold onto dampness which on very cold days is a problem.

Technical string vest FTW! Goan yersel Rab C 😆

hainman
    Free Member

Is Wintergreen still available??I remember using it on the colder mornings playing football,It was honkin but once the heat kicked in it worked a treat,

perchypanther
    Free Member

Heat pads – 4 for a quid from the Pound shop. Last 6-8 hours.

Stick a couple on top of your bibs.

jam-bo

you can get rash vest for surfing that have heat pads that sit across your kidneys and run off a rechargable battery. not cheap though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Keeping lower back warm – any tips?’ is closed to new replies.