Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Keeping hydrated in sub zero conditions
  • baldSpot
    Free Member

i've a bit of a problem in keeping hydrated whilst cycling.
    if I use a bottle & cage, the water freezes super quick. I'm thinking of using a hydration pack but beginning to think that will not be without problems either.

anyone any advice/experience of keeping water in a liquid form in temps below 0?

uplink
    Free Member

Use a Camelbak & blow it back up the tube after each drink

Adders69
    Free Member

Use a hose insulator? Clicky

nockmeister
    Free Member

A vodka mixer always works in mine…

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Would an insulated bottle that keeps cold/cold and warm/warm also keep cold/unfrozen?

Like this. (sorry for the lack of picture on that).

epicyclo

Get a bottle with a good seal and put it in the cage upside down.

Works for me in the 'Puffer.

atlaz
    Free Member

Camelbak and I keep the tube down the front of my jersey (but on top of my baselayer). Worked fine in the -7 degree forum ride last year so unless it got much colder I'd be inclined to keep using it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

could you pressurise the bottle?

say to 10GPa? 😆

MrSalmon
    Free Member

+1 for Uplink, although remembering to do this each time is easier said than done.

IanMunro
    Free Member

If you've got the space, stick the camelback under your jacket, so it shares your own little micro-climate, plus blowing back.

singletrackmind

i fill mine with boiling water . I am lucky to have the insulated tube , and its nice and warm 4 hours after leaving home. Alot easier to glug when its cold and encourages you to drink.

Northwind

uplink is spot on, it doesn't need to be all that cold to freeze up a bottle's workings or a camelbak hose but it needs to be very cold indeed to freeze a whole reservoir, so blow it back in and problem solved.

stevomcd
    Free Member

From many years of backcountry snowboard experience, none of the Camelbak type insulators / blowing the water back really work. You always get left with a wee bit of water in the bite valve. That then freezes solid and you're screwed.

For snowboard stuff now, I just carry a water bottle in my pack, never had it cold enough to freeze that.

cuckoo
    Free Member

Thermos flask

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Keeping hydrated in sub zero conditions’ is closed to new replies.