• This topic has 83 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by T1000.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Keeping cars frost free
  • singletracksurfer

Just wondering if those car covers work. Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks.

Jakester
    Free Member

IME they tend to stick to the car, though this was with a thin single-ply nylon one years ago.

My old man used to use an old curtain across the windscreen (and over the engine block as well of my ancient polo, which hated the cold) and that seemed to work. Doesn’t prevent the inside misting up though.

I have sprayed antifreeze on the windscreen the night before and that’s worked, a bit.

I suspect parking it in a garage is probably the best though…

sandwicheater

Liberal sprinkling of cat food. Cat’s then keep your car all toasty while they have a snack.

Side effects include cat pish, cat crap and cats.

benp1

Just use warm water. I’ve been doing this for many years – it works perfectly everytime and takes a very short time to defrost the car. Doesn’t work so well when you’re out for the evening obviously

[If in doubt make the water on the cold side]

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have my butler defrost the car before i use it.

mattbee

I just turn the Eberspacher on when I get up using the remote. Toasty frost free van by the time I leave for work.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Since getting a Ford with a heated screen, I now get to freeze to death scraping HER windscreen instead!

ourmaninthenorth

Am never sure about the warm water thing – that’s quite a temperature contrast and may cause the screen to crack.

I just start the engine, sets the front and rear screens and mirrors to defrost and then set about the windows with a scraper. Warms the inside of the car and warms me before I get in.

Judging by this morning’s laboured start, I think I need a new battery.

nealglover
    Free Member

I click the remote start when I get out of the shower, quick coffee and when I’m ready for off it’s all toasty and warm, defrosted and up to running temp. 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Just use warm water. I’ve been doing this for many years – it works perfectly everytime and takes a very short time to defrost the car. Doesn’t work so well when you’re out for the evening obviously

And leaves re-frozen water on the road…

wombat

ransos – Member

And, judging by the young lady who lives at the end of our road, a kettle on the drive until she returns from work 😆

Jakester
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member
    Am never sure about the warm water thing – that’s quite a temperature contrast and may cause the screen to crack.

Though this tends to bring out the naysayers who state it’s urban myth, I have h’actually witnessed a mate of mine do this with a freshly-boiled kettle, resulting in a huge crack in his windscreen.

I would have loved to have been able to assist, but spent most of the time doubled up with laughter..

matt_outandabout

Ford have the answer. #ace

fettlin

Two keys, one in the ignition with the engine running, use the spare to lock the doors. Nip out and start her up, back in to get my stuff ready and let the dog do his wossname in the garden. By the time I’m ready so is the car.

johndoh
    Free Member

If the car was on a road when water was applied….

T1000
    Free Member

Webasto heater and remote…..

jekkyl

The water you pour on the windscreen doesn’t have to be boiling, that would just be silly. Just water slightly above freezing will work. I use tepid water and have done for years. I do also sling an old towel over the windscreen and that also works.

Drac

Water straight out of the tap works well and means you don’t have to buy a Ford.

Wally

Ford had the patent for heated windscreens, but not rear?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Leave for work late enough for the sun to melt it, and of course having the car parked where the sun will hit it. Works perfectly for me.

nealglover
    Free Member

Two keys, one in the ignition with the engine running, use the spare to lock the doors. Nip out and start her up, back in to get my stuff ready and let the dog do his wossname in the garden. By the time I’m ready so is the car.

Someone smashes the window, gets in and drives away.

You are not insured as you left the keys in the car with the the nine running.

No payout, no car. (I’d rather use an ice scraper 😉 )

diz

I use an old trick that my grand-parents used. Put a hot water bottle on the dash 15 mins before im ready to leave. Windscreen is both defrosted and demisted in one.

maccruiskeen

Doesn’t even need to be warm – just a jug of water from the tap will do a perfectly good job unless its a good way below zero out.

Our courtyard is a frost hollow so our cars / vans tend to be properly frozen in the morning – it can be a good 5 deg colder than the surrounding ambient temp sometimes. At this time of year we empty out the washer bottles an put in decent screen wash concentrate – which is good for down to -20 so long as you don’t dilute it with whats already in the tank (check label to see what temp the stuff is good for as some bottled stuff is pre-diluted). In the morning a sploosh of tap water clears everything and a squirt and wipe of the washers stops anything re-freezing. As well as clearing the ice on the outside the water brings the temp of the glass up a bit and helps the blowers clear mist on the inside too – which scraping the ice off alone doesn’t do.

I use an old trick that my grand-parents used. Put a hot water bottle on the dash 15 mins before im ready to leave. Windscreen is both defrosted and demisted in one.

I like their thinking.

jimw
    Free Member

Ford had the patent for heated windscreens?

Yup.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quickclear

My Skoda has it-but as Ecky-thump, I now spend time cleaning the partner’s Polo. She would have ordered one for that but they haven’t trickled down the VAG food chain that far yet

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I think the patent has expired, and it was for embedding the wires within a laminated windscreen iirc. The rear is not usually laminated.

singletracksurfer

Don’t like cats so that’s a no-no. Hmm ok so the big car covers might not really work then, unless I get one which is like a curtain?

Yeah we both had Fords but she’s just got a different car which means I either feel bad or cold.

Will have to try some of the above over the week(s) and see what works.

Cheers.

Evesie
    Free Member

Standard practice in Scandinavian countries is to have a small mains powered electic fan heater in the car & either run all night or on a timer. Only needs to run at low heat & fan speed, Jump into a nice toasty, frost free car even when at -30°C outside.

kayak23

diz – Member

This works, except I just use a couple of 2 litre water bottles filled with hot water. Stick them in a bit before you leave. Sorted, and a nice lukewarm drink on your way to work. 😀

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve got a lovely Morsø Owl which clears the frost and mist in no time at all.

I bought it in black to match my Audi. Was easy enough to fit although it does restrict leg room in the back a little.

Recommended.

tenfoot

The standard method around here is to scrape off a letterbox size and hope for the best.

I usually scrape my wife’s car after mine, so when that’s done, I’m good to go.

spooky_b329

And all the while your car is struggling to pump gloopy syrup around the engine and wearing itself out for the 15 minutes it takes to warm up at idle, when it would take less than 5 minutes to warm up if you cleared the ice and then drove it.

anagallis_arvensis

I just walk out as normal start car scrape windows and leave. I have no idea why people make such a drama out of it. Some of the posts on this thread would have taken longer than scraping the windows of a car.

nickc

I just walk out as normal start car scrape windows and leave.

+1

never bothered me, takes all of 5 mins to do a thorough job

TiRed

My stock was tepid (never boiling) water, followed by a wipe. If it is cold on the trip home, take a thermos. Needs very little water. The key is NOT TO USE THE WIPERS! Or the water will be dragged across the screen and refreeze when moving.

I cycle anyway, so what do I know! What fairing to keep me warm?

mtbfix

I have a Ford with a quick clear screen. But the screen is dead so only about two thin strips ever clear. This is arguably more annoying than just having to scrape.

What hammer for authentic ‘stone chip’ broken screen?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

LOL, I’ve broken a scraper trying to crack the 5mm thick sheet of ice off the outside of the windscreen. Used to be a half hour job.

Thankfully got a car with a built in fuel fired heater and mobile app (Volvo on call thingy).
    Takes 3 seconds to start the heater and 10-15 minutes to warm the whole car up, it’s connected in series with the existing cooling system, so brings the whole circuit up to about 40 odd degrees, and the cabin up to whatever I have the AC set to. Which means even the ice and snow on the headlights, bodywork, tail lights and so on is pretty much gone…….. and the window squirter is warmed up.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Got a blow heater on the back seat just plug it into the outside socket then pop back in the house for 5 mins, lovely.

daveh
    Free Member

[Quote]Since getting a Ford with a heated screen, I now get to freeze to death scraping HER windscreen instead![/quote]

Had to scrape my windscreen this morning for the first time in 8 years. Mighty Mondeo has given way to a company car, of which I could choose anything I liked, as long as it was Vauxhall. 🙁 Heated seats and steering wheel are nice though, but the gear knob now feels oddly cold. 1st world problems…

chrischim
    Free Member

I know we are strange but we actually use our garage to park our car in rather than fill it up with random junk.

boblo
    Free Member

Where on earth do you put your random junk then?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Keeping cars frost free’ is closed to new replies.