Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Keep riding till it breaks?
  • eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Crap quality image, but you get the idea.
    This is the aftermath of my mech hanger snapping whilst climbing. Along with new skewer, rear mech, spokes/wheel true, brake pads (disappeared as wheel came out) and new hanger. A costly mishap considering I’ve never crashed the bike, and always kept it nicely tuned. So Planet X’s response is ‘it’ll be fine, new hanger and you’ll be reet”
    At first I thought it was just the lacquer that had cracked but the narrow diameter section of the drop out has definitely got a 10mm crack. At PX’s request I’ve taken it to 2 reputable bike shops both of which said ”yup, that’s a crack/warranty job”, so am a bit pissed to hear PX’s reply. So over to the experts….flame away etc

[/url]image by paul_payne, on Flickr[/img]

scc999

Are they saying (implying) that the hanger will reinforce the area sufficiently?

It’s not like there’s no chance that when it breaks it wont cause a crash / injury, is it?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

That shit 3 bolt hanger design as well.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Well this is what they’re saying….take from it what you will

Our warranty team have advised that judging from the photos a new mech hanger should resolve the issue.

It has been noted that you have reported the mark on the dropout however we do not believe has effected the structure of the frame.

seavers
    Free Member

Is the crack visible on the other side of the drop out? Can you remove the paint a bit to see if the frame is cracked?

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Don’t have to scrape the paint off-the narrow section of dropout is unpainted and there’s an obvious fissure. Only apparent on the photographed side.

seavers
    Free Member

Well I suppose the only way to go forward is to get the frame to them. It’s one thing looking a pic but like you have said, 2 independent bike shops think it’s a crack so once it’s in front of them you would hope they change their assessment.

I have no idea of the age of the frame or if it is still covered by warranty, or if you are the original owner. All of which could influence their response.

damascus
    Free Member

The whole point of the drop out is to break to save the frame. I’d send it back to them. How old is the frame and is it new or 2nd hand?

Northwind

eat_more_cheese – Member

So over to the experts.

I’m not an expert in frame damage but I am an expert in being robbed by planet x/on one’s warranty people. Good luck, is all I can say.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Frame is 11months old. Owned from new, never crashed. I’ve also sent them a photo of the snapped hanger-sheared through the bolt eye with absolutely no distortion i.e its fairly obvious it didn’t have a lateral impact

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Keep riding till it breaks?’ is closed to new replies.