Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • KCNC Stems
  • kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

They are amazingly light and reasonable priced, anyone got one or any KCNC feedback.

Thinking of getting one, cheers http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=36g

stumpy01

I’ve got a KCNC Flyride stem – 70mm. It is pretty light, I haven’t broken it yet & it’s nice quality.
    I’ve also got a pair of their SC Bone riser bars, which took a while to get used to but I now really like them. Probably should have gone for the normal rise, rather than the low-rise, but they are decent bars.

I only use them for general trail riding with a minimum of ‘wheels leaving the ground’ action. I am not sure how well they would hold up to proper abuse.

sefton
    Free Member

yeah I’ve got both the super light weight stuff and the heavier range:

cant fault them

FOG

Yep I too have got stems and bars on 2 bikes without any problems with added light weight

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Not got the stem, but have got the Ti Prolite 8000 seatpost. It looks and feels really fragile (compared to Thomson) but I’ve found it to be good and strong. it’s been used for proper XC MTB in the Yorks Dales etc, not racing round fields. On the strength of that, I’d happily use a KCNC stem.
    The only downside is the anodising finish has rubbed off fairly quickly, but that shouldn’t be much of an issue with a stem.

rusty90
    Free Member

I’ve got a KCNC Wing scandium stem. Very light, very well made.
    Clee Cycles stock a good range.

stumpy01

B.A.Nana – Member

The only downside is the anodising finish has rubbed off fairly quickly, but that shouldn’t be much of an issue with a stem.

Yeah – I’ve got one of their seat posts; not the Ti one and the same thing has happened. Anodising is coming off it quite quickly and I am being very careful not to raise/lower the saddle when there is loads of grit over it.
    I take the saddle out to get the bike in the car though, so move it quite frequently….

Buzzard
    Free Member

Ive got a Wing stem and flat bar (oversize). Used both on the transportugal this year. They are light no doubt but found the bar to be flexi. The stem was good except that the ham fisted mechanics stripped 3 of the plate bolts (to be fair they are made of cheese). I still use the stem but downgraded the bolts to somthing more substantial – adding to the weight but its worth the compromise to have something that doesnt need too much TLC

rusty90
    Free Member

the ham fisted mechanics stripped 3 of the plate bolts (to be fair they are made of cheese).

Titanium flavoured cheese. A torque wrench or a light touch is required.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I had one on my Jones – ruined the ride, too flexy.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Cheers for the info, I think sefton has KCNCitus !!! 😀

Dilker
    Free Member

Like Sefton I have bars, stem and seatpost… No issues. I have just got one of their Arrow stems for a new project.

All bought from Clee Cycles, they were great all arrived the day after ordering.

Cheers,

Phil

cannondaleking
    Free Member

ive got the scandium stem and after another cant fault it its on my anthem with ritchey carbon low risers not much flex but im using the 80mm so cant comment on longer stems make sure if you get one to use a torque wrench if you go too tight you’ll strip the treads i use a couple of kcnc bits and the over all finish is ok but the ano is thin

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Mine was a 70mm stem and flexy – it had a noticeable effect on steering. Maybe on an already flexy full susser you won’t notice 😉 But putting a nice stiff Thomson back on , the difference was remarkable.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Double post

rickmeister

Interested in something from the OP… Stems failing… does this actually happen?

grtdkad

I’ve got a KCNC Wing Scandium 80mm stem. Very light at around 95g and very well made. My bike is light but I’m not and it survives regular abuse … Just about to encourage Santa to deliver a KCNC Bone flat bar for xmas too.

rusty90
    Free Member

Mine’s 100mm (ooh, missus) and I like the (small) bit of flex – coupled with carbon bars it takes some of the trail buzz out of my stiff XC hardtail. But then I’m a roadie at heart, so I know eff all about real mountain bikes 😀

large418
    Free Member

got a 90mm SC Wing stem and it looks indecently small/weak. Haven’t bust it in 3 rides (one 10 hour, one 12 hour). I went oversize with bars and stem to offset some of the flex that would have occurred with a 25.4mm setup

onewheelgood

I’ve got SC Wing stem, Bone flats, bar ends and the Ti seatpost. All of these are lighter than the lightest carbon equivalents I could find. All been on the bike for 18 months, no problems other than I rounded out the Ti stem bolts – torque wrench strongly advised. They sell spares but they aren’t cheap. My favourite bit is the hollow pinch bolts on the bar ends – how cool is that?

njee20
    Free Member

You didn’t look very hard then… Plenty of lighter carbon bars and seatposts around! Lighter alu stems and bar ends too.

It’s good value stuff, but just too gaudy for my liking! New Ultimate is more expensive but their stems and posts are far nicer IMO. And I prefer Mt Zoom bar ends and bars. YMMV.

DaveRambo

I’ve also got a Wing Stem 80mm with Bone flat bars, bar ends and bar ends. Fitted to a Van Nic Tuareg.

Not noticed any flex – there’s more movement in the front tyre and I can’t see how fitting anything else would make a remarkable difference.

The kit is very light, well made and looks good (IMO)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’ve used Thomson stems and I currently use a KCNC SC Wing 100m stem, I can honestly say I have never noticed any flex, unless you are a seasoned tester of all things bike I’d hazard a guess it’s in the mind.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘KCNC Stems’ is closed to new replies.