Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • KCNC Bottom Bracket Knackered – Can you replace bearings only?
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

This is probably a utterly naieve question but can you change just the bearings in a KCNC press fit BB? Looks like the wet winter may have taken it’s toll on the whippets BB as the bearings are seized.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Did it last well? and which kcnc BB fits a whippet? cheers

johnj2000
    Free Member

It lasted about 6 months but to be fair it has been well and truly submerged in water and mud all winter. Really easy to fit and remove and the info on the part is K-TYPE-BB 92 for 89.5×41 0r 92×41 frames part number EK08235

johnj2000
    Free Member

Actually that’s a lie probably more like 12 months.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Nobody?

spicystealth
    Free Member

Yea mate you can I did it last week on my lapierre spicy

Remove the top hats carefully u may need to buy some new ones as they are a bit brittle and can break

Then using a drift tap the bearings out from the inside I just tapped gently going around the bearing

I then tapped the bearings back in with a small mallet , no need for a press a bit of grease helps

I’ve had mine on the bike for about 2 years with no problems

johnj2000
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks spicy. Do you know a good source for the bearings?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

cheers johnj

spicystealth
    Free Member

Just did a search on 6805-2RS the bearing seal showed 56805-2RS for some reason I don’t know what the 5 in the front means but it did have KCNC on it as well

They do vary in price just have a look on google for a bearing company I think I paid about £5 each but they did go up to £10/15 each

Pop a bearing out and double check the size or you maybe lucky and just have to remove the top hat to see the number

I used WYCH bearings

http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/61805-2rs_budget.html?gclid=CJm-l6Gdib4CFWTlwgodpL4AcQ

Or you could try simply bearings

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advanced_search_result.php?sort=2a&search_in_description=0&keywords=6805-2rs&x=28&y=2

Hope that helps

johnj2000
    Free Member

Ended up buying a complete Token BB from On One to try out, pretty much the same price as the bearings at 22 quid.

spicystealth
    Free Member

The only issue I can see with the KCNC bb would be getting the Ali casing out of the frame bb shell

From memory there did not look like there was a lip on the in side to unable you to drift it out (on mine anyway)

It just appeared very smooth on in side I wasn’t fussed as I was very happy with the product and would just change the bearings

Let me know how you get on with it

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘KCNC Bottom Bracket Knackered – Can you replace bearings only?’ is closed to new replies.