Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Kayakists, any suggestions?
  • matt_outandabout

Looks like the Clyde at Govan 😯

papamountain
    Free Member

So I took my new kayak on it’s first voyage today….

First nice sunny day in a while so was quite a few people around including a guy and his young son – “lets wait and watch this guy get in his kayak” I heard…

Put it in the water, stepped in, toppled over and took a dive into the water. Dragged myself out, dragged the kayak out, put it back on the car and went home.

Lesson learnt – learn how to get in a kayak from a dock!

Bugger! Going to have another go on Monday.

cvilla

Any pics of the new boat? and depends where you are, don’t be put off balance is like learning to ride. If you can start from a beach can be easier, but get low in the boat, so bottom in first feet over edge to keep center of gravity low, paddle can be used for stability. I am sure others may have better advice, but keep trying it’s great being on the water.
    I don’t do too much, but this morning would have been good on Coniston, sunshine burning off the mist and flat calm 🙂
    Enjoy it…and take a towel;)

papamountain
    Free Member

Will take some pics soon. Yep no beachy type areas to get in unfortunately..

I was rushing and a bit flustered, with the audience and all lol. I got out, said to the guy well that was worth waiting for eh.

Been watching a few vids on technique, like these two for a start –

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqrtZJkA-qo[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFU3ub-Nym4[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

Did you ever get any training? Sure there are lots of videos you can watch on youtube nowadays, but none of them will substitute for proper coaching where somebody can look at what you’re doing and correct your faults. It will be a lot more fun that just trying to teach yourself.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

How about this – Sundance

I’ve got the Sierra, which is much the same, just a bit longer, great big cockpit, so easy to get in and to fall out of, not that I’ve ever managed to tip it over (although I don’t do water with lumps in).

Doh! Just realised this is an old thread – what a plonker I am…

papamountain
    Free Member

Hah yep bit late now but thanks for the suggestion. I went with the venture flex 11.

Training? that’s for losers shirley? Yep probably a good idea.. I’ll check out the local canoe club.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Kayakists, any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.