Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Kayak/hillwalk in the Highlands. Suggestions?
  • athgray
    Free Member

I am thinking of taking my kayak to the hills at the weekend. Has anyone got any suggestions for a good hill walk I can get at with the kayak? Was originally thinking about Ben Lair across Loch Maree, but now might stay a bit further South.

druidh
    Free Member

Sgurr Mor across Loch Quoich?

FWIW – I have seen the future and it involves packrafts 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

+1 for Druidh’s suggestion.

Throw in Sgurr an Fhuarain while you’re there. Pretty epic, you’ll need good feet!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    athgray
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Looking at OS map now. Seems like a good shout. Also looks like scope to head to the Western side of Loch Quoich and into Knoydart.

donald
    Free Member

How about Ladhar Bheinn from Arnisdale?

globalti
    Free Member

Isle of Skye: launch at Elgol and kayak to Loch Coruisk, reckoned to be one of the least accessible places in the UK. The loch drains into the sea over a 500 yard glacial sill of flat rocks; we portaged the kayaks and relaunched them on the loch. There’s an SMC hut and plenty of places to camp but you could leave the kayaks and walk up the Dubh slabs to grab a couple of Cuillins. You could also paddle round to Camsunary Bay and spend a night at the very good bothy there. The walk around the headland to Coruisk via the Bad Step is good too. It’s a fantastically gloomy, forbidding and atmospheric place.

ElShalimo

Park at Elphin paddle west along Loch Veyatie then walk up Suilven (one of the very best Scottish hills)

druidh
    Free Member

And how far south of Loch Maree is Suilven?

ElShalimo

My compass is broke (didn’t read that bit)
    😳

druidh
    Free Member

😆

peterfile
    Free Member

Isle of Skye: launch at Elgol and kayak to Loch Coruisk, reckoned to be one of the least accessible places in the UK.

I’ll be climbing in Loch Corusik on Monday 🙂

athgray
    Free Member

For future reference I like the idea of going up Loch Veyatie and doing Suilven. I was going to do it once before. Parked at the bridge North of Elphin and paddled into Cam Loch but thought the portage into Veyatie looked a bit fearsome. Turned back and went up Cam Loch a bit before climbing up Canisp. Does anyone know if this portage is as bad as it looks?
    Also like the idea of Loch Coruisk but have never paddled on the sea.

druidh
    Free Member

Portage eh?

* cough *

athgray
    Free Member

Thats no fair druidh. 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Kayak/hillwalk in the Highlands. Suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.