Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Katarina Johnson-Thompson's 800m at the Worlds – could you beat her time?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

She jogged round in 2:50.73 to save her legs for the individual long jump after losing out in the heptathlon long jump. She was not putting any effort in at all. Which is fair enough. This got me thinking – how shit at running am I if I am doubting whether I could run faster than a world class athlete who was jogging.

I reckon I could beat run 800m a wee bit faster than that, but not by much and not today. 😀

You reckon you could beat her time?

We could perhaps even have a put up or shut up competition on some online activity tracker site?

djglover
    Free Member

Most average runners could have a crack at that TBH, 5:40 min mile pace over 1/2 mile isn’t too difficult. Its my half marathon pace more or less

mikewsmith
    Free Member

on a bike?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    djflexure

My 11 year old daughter knocks out 2:30 for 800m

Not timed myself recently

We did watch it and thought the performance was a bit embarrassing – did not realise she had another event to come though, so perhaps sensible.

MrNice
    Free Member

one post in and we have a willy waver already…

bearing in mind this is a forum populated by overweight middle-aged cyclists, an awful lot wouldn’t beat 5:40 by very much. I reckon I could manage an 800 in 2:50 but I would need a little sit down afterwards.

IanMunro
    Free Member

If I take the time of the two quickest 400m intervals I did last week, then yes (just).
    Doesn’t really count then though 😀

paulosoxo
    Free Member

My fastest ever mile is 7:58 I think, doubt I’d get anywhere near that time if I’m honest.

chewkw
    Free Member

Nope. She wins.

MrNice
    Free Member

djflexure – your daughter sounds talented. That time’s close to county standard for 14 year olds. You should start placing bets on her winning medals in 10 years time.

teef
    Free Member

I could beat her in the long jump

chiefgrooveguru

You don’t realise the gulf between professional athletes and the rest of us until you try to get half-decent at their particular discipline!

langylad
    Free Member

Jumped 6.50m at 17 yrs old and we used to run 3x 800 reps of around 2:20 in winter for stamina training. That was 30 years ago and you could halve one and double the other now 🙁

djflexure

djflexure – your daughter sounds talented. That time’s close to county standard for 14 year olds. You should start placing bets on her winning medals in 10 years time.

Cheers -time will tell – she placed 2nd in Midlands U14 champs this year. Still a bit wary of the older girls – was dead last after 400m. Does not train yet just turns up and runs. I should make it clear that all the talent comes from her mum.

riddoch

10 years ago I did a marathon in 3:05, using race predictor thingy that would equate to a 2:47 for 800m. To give an idea when I had that fitness I was coming in the top 10% of finishers in the London marathon and for local more club runner focused event more like the 15-20% of finishers.
    What I’m trying to say is that I doubt “most” average runners could beat that, if you are talking about runners that are turning out at your local athletics club then yes a greater proportion could.

mrhoppy

2:16 was my pb (final year of secondary school) before my ankles disintegrated and now I’d get nowhere near.

scaredypants

could have beaten it easily when I was at school

no chance now

stevomcd
    Free Member

Used to run 400m and the (very!) occasional 800m to county / Scottish National level at school. I was a sh*t 800m runner (much happier going down to the 200m than up to 800m) and I was running about 2m30 when I was 12 – which was barely a mid-pack finish in fairly low-level meets. Got my 400m PB down to about 52 or 53s when I was about 16 (which was pretty good!). Eventually ran somewhere in the low 2m20’s for the 800m, but, as above, I didn’t run it often and wasn’t very good. 2m50s would get you dead-last in a race for 13 year-old boys at most athletic club meets.

cynic-al
    Free Member

When fit, yes. Now, no.

dglover is an original big hitter!

totalshell

djflexure.. only 59 u13 girls have run 2.30 for 800 all year all bar about a dozen have named uka coaches all belong to running clubs that have training at least twice a week.. for your daughter to be able to turn up ala alf tupper with no training and race in an even older age group is an achievement

Junkyard
    Free Member

apparently I can neither out run a jogging olympian nor a fast 13 years old boy.

stumpy01

When I used to run a lot at school and for a club, my best 800m time was 2min 18 so I could have fairly comfortably beaten that time.
    Best 400m time was 58 secs.

In school competitions I was always at or very near the front. At club competitions I was at best mid-pack, quite often towards the tail-enders.
    Never ceased to amaze me how quick some of the blokes were. There was a Portugese bloke in the age group below me at school who could run 800m in 2min 4secs, so I was never under the illusion that I was particularly ‘quick’ in the scheme of things.

These days, I could perhaps force my legs to do 800m in 3 mins if my dodgy IT band allowed it!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’d be around 2:20 now, and 1:58 when i was 17 before losing my interest when i went to university.

mboy
    Free Member

My Dad was 3 counties 100m, 200m and 400m champion several years in a row when he was a kid, and was also pretty useful at 800m too (for the time). Said his fastest 400m was 51sec, managed a couple of sub 2min 800’s as well apparently.

I didn’t inherit all of his ability, but I wasn’t slow. Before I lost interest (about 14 years old) I was doing 800 around 2:30, but this was a long time ago.

I’m 35 now, can’t run more than 20 yards without my knees/shins/hips giving up (and those 20 yards will be very slow!), but I can get on a bike and knock out a sub 5hr Century… Go figure! 😕

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i didn’t inherit all of his ability, but I wasn’t slow. Before I lost interest (about 14 years old) I was doing 800 around 2:30, but this was a long time ago.

you didn’t inherit any 😆

PePPeR

Me when I was 16 my pb was 2.04 and I was 3A’s X country champion. These days I’m a 19 stone fat lazy knacker who could barely run 40 yards quickly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

knock out a sub 5hr Century.

Really? Impressive.

mboy
    Free Member

you didn’t inherit any

I was better over 100m… Was doing mid 11’s in my late teens, my Dad was sub 11 at 16 though also to be fair!

mboy
    Free Member

Really? Impressive.

Yup, was quite chuffed myself… Appreciate that 60-70% of it was pretty flat and I was riding with plenty of others, but I did spend more than 30 miles of it on my own, and Surrey is hillier than I was expecting!

https://www.strava.com/activities/359593941

wanmankylung
    Free Member

but your ride isn’t 100 miles long accoding to your link. Did you stop at all because the only thing sub 5hrs is moving time….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah I thought you meant solo.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Yup, was quite chuffed myself… Appreciate that 60-70% of it was pretty flat and I was riding with plenty of others, but I did spend more than 30 miles of it on my own, and Surrey is hillier than I was expecting!

https://www.strava.com/activities/359593941

you were about an hour behind the fast lads then

geologist
    Free Member

A typical session of mine 15 years ago was 7 X 800 @ 2.15 – 2.20. After 5 years off through injury I have just started running again. The scary thing is that I can’t now run one mile at the pace I used to average a marathon at!
    I am 3 stone heavier and a lot older! Time for a midlife makeover I think!

racefaceec90

i haven’t run since secondary school so no chance for me to beat it.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve run a 5 minute mile, so yes. Though that wasn’t recently, and I’m not entirely sure just how unfit I am at the moment (and have only run a handful of times in the last 18 months) so maybe not right now, but probably in a few weeks as I plan to get back into running as my pace over that sort of distance isn’t usually a huge amount of my best even after very little training. Was certainly banging out 2 minute intervals at better than her 800 pace last time I tried that.

(for anybody who followed my other thread, my back seems a huge amount better today after kayaking yesterday and biking today, the first time I’ve tried 2 days in a row for over a month).

I couldn’t care less what 11 year old girls can do – I have lots of handicaps compared to them.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Katarina Johnson-Thompson's 800m at the Worlds – could you beat her time?’ is closed to new replies.