Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Kashima Coating ?
  • mikehampson
    Free Member

I’ve been having a few issue’s with the RP2 on my 2009 Trek recently so I thought I’d give it a air sleeve service. But on dismantling it’s plain to see where my problem lie’s, the seal partition has partially collapsed Frown

Mojo do a replacement air can, but they also do one’s Kashima coated ? Worthy upgrade ?

Standard can is about £30, upgrade is about £50.

Cheers,

Mike.

tinsy
    Free Member

Isn’t it the shaft that has the coating not the air can… dunno what its like but it looks really nice.

andyl
    Free Member

I know they coat the outside of the bodies with Kashima which seems a bit pointless – maybe it’s just for style? Or do they also coat the inside to reduce friction on something that runs up inside? Never looked inside a shock so no idea.

sam_underhill

I think the difference in price is less than that. Recently had to replace the body myself so it was “almost” a no brainer to go Kashima. As I had a PUSH mod at the same time I can’t honestly say whether the Kashima was worth it alone. My shock is now transformed though as a result of all the work.

It does feel smoother and slicker to the touch compared to non Kashima though.

LoCo
    Free Member

Aircans are coated inside and out so reduces stiction on the air seal so more sensitivity.
    The bodyutbes coated inside and out too so agin the seal that reun on it (wipers on backend of aircan and IFP in the damper have less stiction too.
    We’ve had quite a few shocks and forks done in conjunction with a custom tune this will greatly improve the performance of the shock/fork.
    Also the ‘new’SKF Fox Low friction seals make a lot of difference to sensitivity even with the ‘old’ standard coating on the fork stantions. 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

Loco, the partially collapsed partition on the aircan. What causes it? A mates RP3 had this happen and I carefully pushed it back together and its been fine for a couple of years now.

LoCo
    Free Member

Not quite sure what you mean got a any pictures, do you mean the grooves that the seals and spacers fit into in the back of the air can?

mikehampson
    Free Member

I hope this works as I’m doing this from my phone. Here is a pic of the damage from mine.
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/Mikey-S13/Stuff/2012-09-21131248_zps4caa4dbd.jpg

LoCo
    Free Member

Negativly charged, can main air seal has let air into neg chamber and ‘blown’ seals out the backend, replace air can and all air seals and that should sort it.

Craggyjim
    Free Member

Mine did that too, Loco, proivded a new can, all good now.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yep, exactly that.
    So air gets past the main piston seal and goes into the air can which then forces the seal outwards, bending the partition?
    Persumably this can happen when the shock gets stuck down if not sorted?

I just got a right sized socket and using a vice gently pushed it back into its correct alignment.

gdj001
    Free Member

Sorry for the slight thread hijack, but LoCo do you do any kind of servicing for Specialized Brain shocks? Ideally i’d like to change it to a rp2/rp23 but i dont know if that’s plausable because of the way the current shock is attached to the linkage

perthmtb
    Free Member

Also the ‘new’SKF Fox Low friction seals make a lot of difference to sensitivity even with the ‘old’ standard coating on the fork stantions.

I’ve got a dust wiper kit labelled ‘803-00-613’ – is it the new low friction ones?

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes description on label should be Low friction too.

and no I don’t service Brain equipped units, there is a chap currently developing replacement links to allow fitting of standard shocks.

Painey
    Free Member

Anyone had any experiences of the Kashima coating wearing off? A friend of a friend claims it does but until recently he used to work for SRAM. Reason I ask is I’m considering getting the upgrade on my shock and forks when they next need to be serviced.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Yes description on label should be Low friction too.

Oh yeah – duh!

Thanks.

gdj001
    Free Member

Cheers for that LoCo. Do you know the name of guy/company who is doing it? Could i potentially keep the stanchion of my current shock and replace the body with an rp2/3 or would that not work?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Kashima Coating ?’ is closed to new replies.