Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • kashima – big difference?
  • boxelder

On the n+1 trail and mulling over two similarly equipped bikes. One is brand spanking new and one is a few hundred miles old, with kashima shock and forks – how much better is the wonder coating?

sambob
    Free Member

My Kashima CTD shock is very very good over small bumps, much better than my X-Fusion shock was. Can’t compare to non Kashima Fox shocks, but it’s awesome.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what are the bikes? Frame and setup possibly more important a question. Also consider warranty.

boxelder

Rumblefish pro or one of Cube AMS 120 or stereo 140.
    Test riding the cubes in couple of weeks. Can only really sit on a same size rumblefish.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

thrashing trying the cubes round Whinlatter? Last set ones I saw were nicely specced.

Which is the new one? from what people say Juicy Lube Fork Juice is as good as a Kashima coating.

bones76
    Free Member

I upgraded to Kashima coated fork and rear shock around a year ago now, and am pleased i did, they IMO feel a lot smoother and of course they look better too, i run mine on a Yeti ASR 5C and have complemented the bike a treat IMO

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Bugger all, but it’s a great marketing job.

munkyboy
    Free Member

Got both, not a huge difference tbh, not enough to warrant replacing stuff that isn’t worn out, unless you like the way it looks.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’m with Hob Nob………you might be able to tell the difference in a lab but I’ll bet a fair chunk of money that I wouldn’t be able to feel any difference out on the trails between my new Kashima Fox 34’s and a set with normal stanchions

the_lecht_rocks

not noticeable at all .

however worth it if durability is increased imo.

LoCo
    Free Member

It is ‘slippier’ in conjunction with the SKF Low friction fork seals and a little more wear resistant, however the SKF seals make a huge differnce even on standard coating stantions.
    If your uppers on your forks or body tube/shaft on your shock has worn it’s probably worth the extra few quid for the upgrade, this is what we’ve been quoting for along with standard coat replacements on any repair jobs. 😀

On another note, having spoken with an Ex F1 suspension tech, he was saying that the lowest friction/ best performance was from chromed shafts, although this would add weight issues, make of that what you will 😉

rickon
    Free Member

Bombers, FTW.

wl
    Free Member

Kashima looks ginger to me.

scruff
    Free Member

So, if chrome was best you’d need steel stanchions then ?

LoCo
    Free Member

Yep for chrome, however there are other options, more of this to follow in the nearish future 😯 😉

A few projects on the go at the moment.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Most people who claim vast improvement are not comparing like with like. If kashima upgrade then your usually comparing to forks in need of a service + perhaps with older seals.

When changing forks your comparing at best to older versions of the same fork that may need service and at worst completely different forks.

We would like there to be a difference as we just spent a horrendous amount of money so we are likely to convince ourselves such a difference exists regardless of whether not it actually does.

I doubt many people have tested kashima and non kashima side by side on the same bike with stanchions covered to avoid prejudice.

As mentioned above, great marketing though! I upgraded and mine are fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😉

maccruiskeen

So, if chrome was best you’d need steel stanchions then ?

Indeed – difficult to market the cheapest solution as being the best one though (still got a 13 year old set of chrome stanchioned bombers in service – serviced twice in that time)

LoCo
    Free Member

I doubt many people have tested kashima and non kashima side by side on the same bike with stanchions covered to avoid prejudice.

We have, you can feel the difference when dry built, as mentioned the skf seals make a larger difference % wise, but Kashima and SKF seals are the best stiction wise.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What like a two coloured frankenfork from the spares box of doom?

Northwind

There’s a small difference- noticable to me and big enough that I’m confident it wasn’t just my imagination, but not enough to justify the cost (comparing like with like, 2011 RP23s with the same tune and both recently serviced).

Not as big as, say, the difference between stock and PUSH.

ndthornton
    Free Member

No

mikewsmith
    Free Member

spoilsport…

LoCo
    Free Member

Went round r/h corners better than l/h ? 😉

rickon
    Free Member

I have too.

I don’t like Kashima on a shock, as it feels like it needs more damping and it moves too much. I like some stichion in my shock, rather than more damping.

I also didn’t notice much difference at all performance wise between a well serviced RS SID RLT Ti, and a Fox RLC FiT Kashima.

I’m pretty sensitive to change, pressures etc too. To the point when I noticed that I had about 2ml too much oil in my lowers.

I think the real benefit is durability, my Fox Kashima stanchions had no wear after 8 months of good use, in all weather. My SIDs, and my other Fox showed wear over the same period.

Similar service intervals, well… the Fox had less care than the SIDs really.

The SKF seals did make a difference though, like Loco says.

boxelder

Not whinlatter, no (though that’s where the bike will be bought).
    Doesn’t sound convincing from here.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘kashima – big difference?’ is closed to new replies.