Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Karma/Gift Horse/Luck vs. Morals/Doing the right thing
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

I ordered a couple of tops from one of the large online bike shops.

They came promptly, one was what I ordered whilst the other was a Wind Stopper jacket/top layer that cost 3 times as much. On the packing sheet the order was correct so who ever picked it made a mistake.

I wanted what I ordered but didn’t really need what I received as I’ve got a few outers that are similar. So I got to wondering, should I keep this ‘windfall jacket or return it and get what I initially wanted/needed. I’ve made my decision but if it was you what would you do?

rusty90
    Free Member

Do unto others etc.
    Do what you’d do if it was the other way round, i.e. you ordered an expensive jacket but received a cheap one.

martymac

id send it back, its the right thing to do.
    at their expense mind . .

tmb467
    Free Member

contact em and explain

they might send you the one you wanted FoC as sometimes the cost of restocking can be quite high

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’ve already done it, but I thought it would be an interesting question to ask.

leffeboy

It happened with me when I received an extra XT hub by mistake. I called and they told me just to keep it 🙂

clubby

The other interesting question is what would you have done if you had wanted what you’d been sent by mistake?

eyerideit
    Free Member

The other interesting question is what would you have done if you had wanted what you’d been sent by mistake?

An equally interesting question!

Edit:

I’d like to think I’d have done what I have. But since it never happened, we’ll never know.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would feel ever so guilty about exploiting the good will of those who are trying to make money from me

Realistically Small local trader I am honest
    huge million bound profit making multinational my morals match theirs

andyrm
    Free Member

Contact them.

It’s the right thing to do. Size of the business is totally irrelevant.

matther01
    Free Member

Treat them as you would expect to be treated. Simple concept….but oft forgotten in todays hectic lifestyles.

Glad to see so many posts re-iterating this.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Glad to see so many posts re-iterating this.

Me too!

What an honest lot we are.

🙂

joat

I think the dishonest ones will stay away from this one!
    Who was it by the way? 😉

Northwind

I’d return it. Though to be fair I’d be very hopeful that they say “nah keep it” as has happened to me in the past 😉

velocipede
    Free Member

Hmmmm, I bought two bikes for my kids from a major online retailer a few years ago – nice £300 ones for ten year old twins. One arrived with the mech hanger badly bent and a couple of broken spokes. I called them and they sent an immediate replacement, happy days! However, when the courier called I went to hand him the damaged bike and he Saud that it wasn’t his job to collect it, I emailed and called the retailer to arrange return and they didn’t call back. I was that bothered by it that I kept it in its box for two years thinking surely someone will write/ call/ etc.

After two years, I replaced the hanger and spokes and sold it for £250!!!

yossarian
    Free Member

We ordered a very expensive double buggy from mothercare a few years back and for some reason they sent us 2. We waited a few weeks then gave the second buggy and all the extras to a couple we knew who were expecting their second baby and didn’t have a pot to piss in.

t_p
    Free Member

I would call them and explain what has happened.

Worst case: You send the wrong one back and receive the one you ordered and all is good.

Best case: they tell you to keep it as the cost and hassle of returning it is not worth it plus they feel they ought to do right by you for making the mistake themselves.

Or a combination of the two.

Either way call them and explain as it is the right thing to do!!

doof_doof
    Free Member

A few years back a guy at work ordered some bottom end (sub 200 pounds) Campag road wheels. He received some rather tastey Campag wheels that we’re listed at over 700 pounds. He kept the wheels.

I, other the other hand, once received the same order twice from Wiggle. I returned the second parcel and didn’t get so much as a thanks.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

If it was Evans, then keep it. They’re based in London and London has sucked the life out of the rest of the country as it bloats out of control. The less money that flows in that general direction the better.

crazy, I know.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

LOL @ the generalist!

+ 1

solarpowered
    Free Member

I’m with t_p on this one! Get in contact with them…..

eyerideit
    Free Member

It’s been sorted, I called them last week and have the top I ordered with the one sent by mistake on it’s way back to them.

I started this post because the situation I found myself in and the questions I asked of myself interesting and just wanted to know what other forum members would do.

methers27
    Free Member

Evans are actually based in Crawley west sussex

unknown
    Free Member

Some years ago I ordered some custom wheels from a well known online retailer. I was on a bit of a budget so specced a pro2 front hub (for 20mm) but only a deore rear. When they came they were pro2 front and rear. I kept them, fully in the knowledge that it wasn’t the right thing to do. I’ve since used said online retailer on any occasions they get even close to their competitors prices, so I like to think they’re at least even overall. Still should have at least called them though.

rene59
    Free Member

Would have sold it on ebay BNWT and ordered again what I wanted in the first place.

SiB
    Free Member

Well i’ve failed to return goods which were not sent in error but needed to be returned due to wrong size, didnt like it, wrong part etc so likelihood is that I would keep incorrect sent item due to ‘poor organisational skills’

robdob
    Free Member

I ordered some FSA Compact Wing Bars from an online shop. I paid £50 for the alloy versions and they sent the £250 carbon ones instead but didn’t charge more. I phoned straight away and they let me keep the carbon ones at no extra cost.

wiggles
    Free Member

I would have done what you have if I didn’t get what I wanted, but if they sent me my order and something else i would probably just give it away to someone else who wanted/needed it more than me.

Probably would base it on size of business who made the mistake, a global company won’t miss a top and should be less likely to make mistakes, small business where everything processed by hand rather than huge warehouses probably more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt and send it back

rOcKeTdOg

I think the dishonest ones will stay away from this one!

So you are saying don’t trust a classifieds post by anyone who doesn’t post on this thread as they are dishonest mongrels of the lowest order?

trout
    Free Member

After reading the planetX thread
    What would you have done had it been them who made the cockup

Lester
    Free Member

planet X sent me a bike frame which cost £800, Yodel left it on the FRONT doorstep, it been opened and NOT signed for with a note saying it had been left in the safe place as requested

eyerideit
    Free Member

What would you have done had it been them who made the cockup

The exact same thing I did, which is the right thing.

clubber
    Free Member

What would Jesus do? He’s watching you….

slowjo
    Free Member

I received a series of cheques for a home contents claim, many years back…think it was Eagle Star. Kept the first one and rang them up about the rest (all for the same amount which was >£600).

Got a nice letter back saying thank you. It appears that the way the cheques had been issued, they would never have found out anything was wrong even if I had cashed them all. They said they would be changing the system in light of their new discovery!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Karma/Gift Horse/Luck vs. Morals/Doing the right thing’ is closed to new replies.