Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Karate Monkey, what other SS 29er should I consider
  • flashes
    Free Member

Paceman, I did think Krampus, still on the list. I had a Genesis IO, it did nothing for me.
    SJ. I have advertised for a KM, nothing. I have a spare 1X1, I hadn’t thought of 29ing that, although i use V brakes, would that work?
    Currently not advertising as I could be having a sit / ride on a Stooge and would like to see if that is a poss………..

Or I could go and buy a Niner or Canfield Nimble (cos they look like sex on wheels)

grenosteve
    Free Member

The KM is an awesome bike. Get one!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I have a spare 1X1, I hadn’t thought of 29ing that, although i use V brakes, would that work?

Ah I run disks on mine so that wasn’t an issue for me… Mavic and Xtracycle used to do a 700C adaptor kit for 26″ frames but you might struggle to track them down. Paul Moto brakes can also be adjusted to do the job but they are very spendy… probably cheaper to get some new wheels!

Were you planning on running Vs on your new bike then? If so that’s going to limit the choice a bit further. Stooge is disc only isn’t it? In fact a Surly may be the only option if you want to keep on using Vs.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

FWIW – Heres some pics of my 1×1 with 29er rims. It’s currently running ‘cross tyres on MTB rims but I’ve had 29 x 2 Bontys in there without any problems in the past… should give you some idea of clearances.

flashes
    Free Member

That’s nice.
    I like V / cantis, so if I could, I would run them. If I don’t go KM, discs are probably the only option.
    I might have a play with my existing 1X1 and the wheelset off of the existing KM to check if I like that set up…….although I could convert the 1X1 to fixed with a disc up front and make the fixed KM my SS bike……
    Thanks for the ideas..

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Fixed (with one of those disc hub adaptors) with a disc up front will probably be the next evolution of my 1×1… I seem to change it completely every 6 months or so. Surlys are like Lego for (semi) grownups.

BB height is obviously higher in the above setup but I’ve not noticed it affecting the handling at all – if anything it’s an advantage around here (Dartmoor) with all the roots and granite.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Karate Monkey, what other SS 29er should I consider’ is closed to new replies.