Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Karate Monkey, what other SS 29er should I consider
  • flashes
    Free Member

I’ve been after a small 16, poss 18″ SS 29er frame and forks, or frame only, ideally I was thinking Karate Monkey but an early one, I can’t find one, so I was thinking of alternatives, Jones Diamond, Canfield, Salsa Selma, is there anything else I should consider????

Clink

Stooge.

flashes
    Free Member

Still not convinced by the one size fits all, I need to borrow one really……

ratherbeintobago

El Mar? Don’t think the Selma is still available.

singlespeedstu

Still not convinced by the one size fits all

But you’re considering a Jones.
    Wasn’t your last Jones too big for you?

tthew

Genesis high latitude or fortitude. (In a classic recommend what you own stylee) 😀

flashes
    Free Member

I’ve ridden one with Unicrown forks and that was OK. I think for me (being a short house) the truss forks raised the front end too much….

And I should have said I’m looking for a used bike. I always fret about thrashing a new bike and except wheels I’ve everything else to swap over…..

bullheart
    Free Member

Vassago Jabberwocky

ajantom

Krampus? Works fine with normal 29er wheels, but you have the option to go bigger if you want.

flashes
    Free Member

Vassago, looks interesting. Krampus Ian a possibility. Off for an ale and a think……

Ben_H

Another vote for the Stooge. I came very close to getting a Karate Monkey, but was swayed by the Stooge style and geometry.

These frames basically made by similar (if not the same) people, but to different designs and styles:

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Love that Stooge…

benji
    Free Member

Singular, lots raced on the endurance scene, and always seem to be the pointy end of the results sheets.

martinh
    Free Member

Another vote for the Stooooge.

Frames cheap enough to buy new and not worry about.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Carver 69er

martinh
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

El Mar here.

Looked at the Stooge, but decided it was a bit slacker and more suited to technical MTBing – I had a somewhat different brief. However the Salsa turned out to be bloody brilliant handling – if a little steep for anything really steep.

AlasdairMc

I have a Stooge and an El Mar, and prefer the Stooge for fun stuff but I think the El Mar will be better over distance. I’ve done multiday races on the El Mar, but I think the Stooge might be a bit heavy by comparison. The Stooge is more fun on the downs though, especially with a big tyre up front.

takisawa2

If it’s recomend your own then a SIR.9 or an MCR.
    You will love either.
    Lovely ride quality.

nemesis
    Free Member
    flashes
    Free Member

I think I’ll have to borrow a Stooge. Anyone have one near Bristol I can have a play on?????

acehtn
    Free Member

Test rode a Sir 9 with matching steel fork, while it was comfy and a joy to ride for xc, when pushed i found the fork a bit flappy, brake judder and toe overlap.

I went KM, they have a rep for a harsh fork. If only doing xc maybe change the fork. For me when i gave it some stick it had direct steering and stable, only broke the lower headset bearing.
    If ridden hard or a heavyweight rider or the bike will be loaded up then a good workhorse.
    From ragging one in DH races it was immense fun, like a roided up bmx with a nice comfy ride. The more it was pushed the nicer it was, apart from bursting a headset bearing 🙂
    I got a 2011, the facelifted frame design but the last year of the v-canti brake mounts, the frame is a keeper.

If i had Sir9 money to drop i would consider a custom frame as well.

At the time i did consider a Swift, but the KM had more options, Swifts are nice though….

flashes
    Free Member

Yep, it’ll be hard to beat a early mud brown KM frame. If it has to be new, I reckon a Krampus or Stooge might be worth trying…..

TooTall
    Free Member

Please get a Krampus. You’d look proper hilarious on a Krampus.

frood
    Free Member

Genesis longitude, comes as frame and fork with bars and headset. Great vfm. Can put gears on it later if you like, takes up to a 3 inch tire too. Very versatile and a lot better value than surly

Clink

What type of riding is it for?

To completely oversimplify:

XC = Swift/SIR 9
    Trail = KM/Stooge/Krampus/Jones
    Exploring = Longitude

Obviously you can ride anything on any of them, but they are biased to a type of riding. I do know that the stooge is great fun and very confidence inspiring. There will be several at Battle on the Beach and Bristol Bikefest if that helps?

They are quite different bikes.

flashes
    Free Member

Good question. It’ll be my only SS (non fat bike), so most evenings on the way home man made trails at Ashton Court, Bristol, then away days like, SSUK, HONC, HOTS, Gravel Dash, FOD but also able to cope with forest type trails round here.
    I’m stopping “racing”, so can be quite Karate Monkey-ish. Doesn’t have to be very light, will have rigid forks.

I think the Stooge’s front end being so tall would mean I’d end up not being able to get the bar / seat level….like on the Jones. I need to try one…..

flashes
    Free Member

And Garry, thank you for the comments. I think I’d look dashing no matter what I ride…….

Clink

I think the Stooge’s front end being so tall would mean I’d end up not being able to get the bar / seat level….like on the Jones. I need to try one….

Talk to Andy – pop over to see him for a test (Oswestry)?

I’m in Somerset and my mate in Shepton has one too.

singlecrack
    Free Member

My Stooge has its seat lower than the bars …..after some advice from Andy (Mr Stooge). I was sceptical but I have still got 35-40mm of spacers under the bar which raises it higher than the seat by 50mm ….I’ve got short legs you see.
    It rides much better than a slammed stem ….I’ve emailed you Flashes to meet up for a test ride

Ps just to add …that brown KM is still not for sale …..we both know how good it rides ….and tbh the Stooge rides better

flashes
    Free Member

Right, we’ll converse nearer the time. I’m away Pugsleying round Dorset next week……..

nemesis
    Free Member

Flashes – you’ve listed my riding (well until I recently moved from Bristol). The Swift was brilliant for that.

Upper Quarry trail at AC

Ben_H

Good question. It’ll be my only SS (non fat bike), so most evenings on the way home man made trails at Ashton Court, Bristol, then away days like, SSUK, HONC, HOTS, Gravel Dash, FOD but also able to cope with forest type trails round here.
    I’m stopping “racing”, so can be quite Karate Monkey-ish. Doesn’t have to be very light, will have rigid forks.

I think the Stooge’s front end being so tall would mean I’d end up not being able to get the bar / seat level….like on the Jones. I need to try one…..

All my pics above (of the Stooge singlespeed) are taken at Ashton Court, which is where I do most of my riding these days.

If you are flexible about times (kids), you are very welcome to see mine in the flesh. I live in Southville.

flashes
    Free Member

Ben, I’d like to sit on one….what sort of days / times are good for you. When do you tend to be at AC?

Ben_H

Flashes: I will get back to you. Aligning childcare and good weather means that planning rides is quite hard! 🙂

BillOddie

I have a Karate Monkey and by a twist of fate a Krampus.

You’ll not go wrong with a Karate Monkey, that being said if I was to replace both the Karate Monkey and the Krampus with one bike I’d replace it with a Stooge.

Worth looking on the MTBR Surly Forum for build ideas etc if you go KM.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Jones – I’ve put a negative rise stem on mine, also my bars is a bit higher than seat, works well for me.

flashes
    Free Member

FRC, I tried a negative stem on my Jones. I ride SS so spend a bit of time out of the saddle and it felt somehow wrong.
    Bill, I have a KM I ride fixed and I had the early frame SS use. I do really rate them. But although I’m no longer racing (well except Tide 2 Tide, oh and a few others) I would like something different from another KM (unless an early 16″ frame came up)…….looking forward to trying a Stooge.

Paceman
    Free Member

Surly Krampus or Genesis Longitude would be on my list, you then have the option of running fat or normal rims/tyres.

The Stooge is stunning in my opinion, and the Kinesis Sync / FF29 and Singular Swift are also worth considering.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Have you posted a wanted ad on here for a KM? That’s how I got mine. Love it.

I also have an older style 1×1, which is similarly excellent – if anything it handles better than the KM – not as solid feeling but more nimble and will take a modestly shod 29er wheel without screwing the handling – there is bags of clearance in the back, OK at the front but could always upgrade the fork at a later date.

I only mention that as there are some good deals on 1×1 F&F at Triton at the moment (£280).

…although looking at that Stooge, I think if I was looking now, it would also be high on my list!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Karate Monkey, what other SS 29er should I consider’ is closed to new replies.