Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Karate Monkey sizing
  • dawson

I’m 6ft1″ – would an 18″ be ok or would it be a bit small?

This –

Check sizing carefully; the reach of our 20in bike was more like 18 or 19in frames from other manufacturers.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/product/review-surly-karate-monkey-12-46695/

seems to infer they are on the small side?

Bregante

I’m 6’1 and did have a karate monkey until last year. Mine was a 20″ and was perfect with a 70 mm stem

spacemonkey

Every time I read/hear about a Karate Monkey I think of this video 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kRb06w_XPo[/video]

* I’d like to think the chimp was well looked after and had a good time making this

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I’m 6’1″ with 32″ leg and I ride a 20″ KM. It’s one of the older models without the dropped top tube too but it’s pretty much bang on for sizing with an 80mm stem.

An 18 may be OK and would probably be a bit more chuckable but you may need a layback seatpost and slightly longer stem.

Such great bikes… I love mine.

Dodgy mobile pics of mine (running fatter rubber and Mary bars now) – plenty seatpost showing as you can see:

dawson

hmm, thanks all – from the examples above definitely sounds like 18″ will be too small

BillOddie

I’m just over 6ft and ride an 18in Karate Monkey with the worlds longest Thomson Seatpost.

I went for this size as I wanted it to be the same length in the TT as my 18in Ragley Blue Pig. (The KM is actually 0.1in longer.) I’m very happy with the bike and it’s worked out great for me.

Check the TT sizing of your current bike(s), adjust based on usage and components and pick the nearest.

(Before anyone asks, there is a load of post in the frame, so much so you can barely drop the post before it hits the curve in the seat tube.)

dawson

@billoddie – cheers – will get the tape measure out

BillOddie

@dawson No worries, you’ll probably end up needing the 20in as I reckon I’m right on the limit.

Also worth mentioning however that I have been reliably informed I have my saddle too high and have been gradually lowering it.

I love my KM, they’re great bikes! I got mine from Charlie the Bikemonger and can recommend him for great service!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Karate Monkey sizing’ is closed to new replies.