Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Karate: Just got my 4th kyu today (purple/white belt)…
  • organic355
    Free Member

What do you guys think of shotokan karate?

It’s what I do and I love it. Best decision ive ever made. Was 13 stone + when I started now just over 11stone.
    My club is great for fitness but as I said above we don’t do sport karate. I did have the advantage of doing it when I was younger, 18 ish and got to purple belt, but then uni happened. Now just got back into it at 35 and rattled quickly up the belts and now purple and white with my eyes on brown belt.

The club I am in focuses on karate for self defense and Is more traditional Okinawan karate, we do do kumite, but its more scenario training than a points scoring game of tag. It’s all good though.

What’s the harm in popping down to your local club and giving it a try? They will no doubt be a friendly bunch and you will know in a few weeks if its for you or not.

Good luck

Kryton57

What’s the harm in popping down to your local club and giving it a try? They will no doubt be a friendly bunch and you will know in a few weeks if its for you or not.

Not always though is it, plenty of crooks about. I’ve personnal experience, and know of many other experience where thats not true. I won’t be elaborating.

Make sure your school is affiliated with a national group, or you know some members very, very well personally so you know you’re not being duped.

nosemineb
    Free Member

I got my 7 kyu last night after starting again from scratch in Shotokan.
    Ive tried Wadu ryu in my teens, kickboxing and shotokan in early 20s then i started a version of tang soo do with my son when he was 5. We were doing ok with tang su do but got disheartened with the club, A typical mcdojo. So started juijitsu which was great but very rough and too much for me. I stopped after a brown belt (sensei son) broke my rib, lovely lad, lethal!
    I then found a local shotokan club that came with high reccomendations and im enjoying it. The teacher is assistant coach to the English Karate federation and well respected. Ive also been able to train twice with Dave hazard and Wayne Otto.
    Im a bit dissapointed that i only got a mon grade (tag) last night but this guy actually fails people to. you really have to be good enough to grade not just pay your money! So after a few different clubs this is the one for me byakko
    Really enjoying it.

Furious

1st Dan in Shukokai here. Gained in 2010. 2012 has been all about earning my 2nd Dan but sadly time and lack of training has conspired against me. My club mixes traditional Karate well with practical applications for modern, real world situations.

I do it mainly for fitness and I also find it has helped with overall stress levels – I find that I can stay calm and controlled both physically and emotionally in many situations (compared to before I started training). If I never earned another dan I would continue to train.

organic355
    Free Member

Do any of you karate guys practice 1 and 3 step sparring?

I used to in my old club when I was a teenager, but my current instructor doesn’t see the benefit of it as its highly unrealistic, and I tend to agree with him. Much better to drill this type of thing in
    Natural stances with defences against wild swings, headbutts etc?

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

bjj.andy.w – Member
    Brazilian jiu jitsu for me.( you’d never of guessed, looking at my forum name ) Been doing it for five years now and I’m a blue belt, four stripes.

Not anymore, was awarded my purple belt today 8) tonight I’m a very happy bunny 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Karate: Just got my 4th kyu today (purple/white belt)…’ is closed to new replies.