Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Kaffenback v Pompino 135
  • Surfr
    Free Member

I’ve decided I NEED a cross bike for commuting so I’m after a second hand kaffenback but they are scarce. Is the pompino identical in all but paint and dropouts? I believe a gear hanger can be bolted on to the pomp, thus making it identical to the kaffenback? Can I still run 32 profile tyres in there?

brant
    Free Member

Kaffenback isn’t a cross bike.

Pompino can in theory run gears, but it’s not neat.

And only on 135mm, not 120mm

JoeNation
    Free Member

I run gears on my 120mm Pomp 😛

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    paulosoxo
    Free Member

a 32 nobbly is silly tight in a Kaff.

Surfr
    Free Member

Perhaps I’m barking up the wrong tree then.

What should I be looking for for a budget cross style bike. I’m after a comfortable commuter with drops capable of taking in a bit of mud and dealing with pot holes and slimy roads. I thought a kaffenback with drops and cyclocross wheels would fit the bill.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

it will be fine, as long as you keep the tyres in the back sensible, but it is a road bike.

Harry_the_Spider

Uncle John.

Great fun in a scare you to death sort of way.

STATO
    Free Member

i use a normal pomp for commuting and ive done a cross race on it (emphasis on ‘a’ ie. 1! its a horrid sport! ;0)

I use a white-ind double freewheel on the back now with 2 rings on the front. 42-16 for commuting is spot on for flattish terrain. 39-18 for cross or if its really windy when i use it for a road ride.

IMG_0043Feb11th

PA191003
    DSC_0035

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have both a Kaffanbak and a pompino and I am quite happy with them.

I tried off roading when absolutly clattered on my fixed pompino disaster woke up in the morning stinking of cow dung , enough said

I have used the Kaff off road to but the tyre clearance is er pants

If i as in the market now I would look at a Road Rat

grumm
    Free Member

There’s no gear hanger on my kaffenback.

Surfr
    Free Member

I do like the look of the roadrat but my funds don’t stretch to one. It seems that I might find a pomp or kaff at the 70-80 quid mark but not likely for a roadrat.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Kaffenback v Pompino 135’ is closed to new replies.