Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Kaffenback toe overlap – alternative frames?
  • gaffney
    Free Member

My other half bought me a nice new Kaffenback frameset for Christmas which I’ve built up.

It’s riding really well, but my only problem with it is how cramped it is. I get horrendous toe overlap (even without mud guards), and my heels sometimes hit the stays.

I’m 5’10” with size 9 feet so bought a medium, but it feels small. Anyone else had this problem? Does this happen on the larger sizes too?

I’ll ride it to work for a couple of weeks to see, but I’m fairly sure I’ll need to change frames, either for a bigger Kaff or a different one entirely. What other similar frames are out there?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i would have thought you need a large.

obviously sizing you over the internet with only a height is not ideal.

druidh
    Free Member

5′ 10″ certainly put you in the middle of those two sizes but if it feels small then sure, go up a size.

Regarding toe overlap, consider just how much of an issue it really is. While the larger frame will kick the front wheel out a little, I’d not expect it to disappear entirely. I get toe overlap (if I try) with my Amazon but in real-world riding, it’s never happened. As for your heels hitting the chainstays, that’s a feature of all of my bikes. I reckon I have the gait of a duck.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gaffney
    Free Member

I’m not quite sure how much of an issue the toe overlap is until I’ve cycled in heavy traffic. It’s already bugging me though.

And heels – I adjusted my cleats so my heels point out slightly, but that just exacerbated the toe overlap 🙂

Does anyone have experience of the Cotic X/ Surly DT?

vim_fuego
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” with a medium Cotic X, a bit of toe overlap without mudguards but really bad with them fitted, nearly fell off a couple times at junctions because of it, got me a bit paranoid when doing tight turns. I have Kinesis carbon forks fitted, was wondering if the Cotic ones would help.

stevexc
    Free Member

Every road and CX bike I’ve ever ridden has toe overlap on with or without mudguards. It’s never been an issue. You can’t really judge frame size by toe overlap or chainstay clearance.

vdubber67
    Free Member

I’ve got an xl one. Built it with road cranks and my feet hit the stays (size 12 feet!) really badly. Changed to a mtb chainset (wider) and its fine now…

I think the new kaffs suffer more with the disc mount and flared chain stays…

saladdodger
    Free Member

I know what you mean ( 5’8″ size 9 feet) I have a medium Kaff and a pompino with a 130mm stem and drop bars the fit is ok for me but the overlap is awful when guards are fitted but no worries without them. Tis a shame realy because they ride realy well, so well I binned a Lite(shite)speed because the handling was not a patch on the kaff

I will be replacing the Kaff next year for a Roadrat because my back can no longer do drops.

MoreCashThanDash

So that’s scuppered my thoughts of a medium Kaffenback then…….

verticalclimber
    Free Member

medium cotic X with size 8 feet get bad overlap specially with guards on. have kineses forks which have more rake (5mm ) then the cotic ones. was a bit surprised i would get such overlap with a cross frame

MoreCashThanDash

So how did we all get brainwashed into thinking CX bikes were great versatile commuing beasts without someone spotting this overlap issue beforehand?

sc-xc

5 9, size 9, Large Pompetamine. Heels occasionally nudge panniers, overlap on tight turns.

It’s such a great bike that it doesn’t really bother me!

simondbarnes

I have various degrees of toe overlap on pretty much all of my road bikes. It’s never been an issue and struggle to see why so many people think that it is.

druidh
    Free Member

Because it’s not actually an issue

lazybike
    Free Member

Because it’s not actually an issue

I’m aware of the overlap on my caadx, but in 18mths of riding, its not been a problem.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

a cross bike with toe overlap, whatever next 🙄

Most cross & road bikes have toe overlap to some extent, some worse than others.
    My Planet X isn’t great, but not too bad, whereas my Giant TCX prototype was dreadful, handled great, but almost impossible to pedal through corners! (no idea if they changed it on the production version)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Kaffenback toe overlap – alternative frames?’ is closed to new replies.