• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ski.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Kaffenback thoughts?
  • simon_g

I've had an Edinburgh Bicycle Continental Race for a while but it's had less use than I'd like, mainly because road riding would usually mean going straight from my house which means 8+ miles of broken, potholed city streets before getting anywhere that's pleasant on such a harsh, thin-tyred thing.

Been aware of the Kaffenback for a while, got a mail to say they're back in at Planet-X and it had me thinking it might be a better choice, especially as I think what I've got is a bit on the big side. Rack and proper mudguard mountings would be good too.

Use would be a bit of training (so 1-2 hours on those pot-holed streets), some leisurely day rides with my girlfriend, some light touring, the odd triathlon (at back-of-the-pack speeds), maybe pressed into use as a commuter if I change jobs for something commutable again.

Definately not planning to join a roadie club or getting into racing the thing.

Kaffenback seems a logical step – any thoughts? Any recommendations for a budget wheelset (and tyre size) for that sort of use too?

Ta, Simon.

rolfharris
    Free Member

I had one and it was pretty good- not light, but reasonably enjoyable and the main point of it is that it's tough as old boots. Needs canti's not mini v's like I had though- they were awful.

Mine was built up with Tiagra hubs on DRC ST17 rims- very light and about £100 with real handbuilt quality.

A pleasant enough bike if you're not after a full on road bike. Mine was no use as a CX bike, though- even with 32 tyres the front mech buzzed the tyre.

rhysboy1
    Free Member

Like Rolf said, not a bad all rounder, but quite heavy.
    Good for commuting and general riding around though.

AdamT

Yep, great as an allrounder. I have mine with the dia-compe levers that pull a v-brake amount of cable. I then use bar end shifters for the gears. This is a more cost effective solution than sti levers. Funnily enough, mine was used in a Tri recently (my mate bent his bike so I lent him mine…he was too scared of breaking my lo-pro litespeed!). Not at all light, but that makes it good for training 🙂

Mine is used for occasional commuting and for this it's just the job. Great bike.

grumm
    Free Member

I really like mine – changed to it from a PX Superlight. I use it for commuting and some shortish leisure rides, plus a sportive recently. I have some 28c tyres on and it's quite happy on gravelly tracks etc. Much comfier on bumpy roads than my old bike as well. Having proper rack/guard mounts is great for commuting.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Had one for a while for commuting it was ok , found mine quite flexy round the bottom bracket and on sharp corners the cable routing caused the brakes to go on but this was not really an issue when riding. Wouldnt by another one but not a big fan of he darkside, use an old sunn mtb with slick for commuting now

simon_g

Thanks all – looking at weights it may even come out lighter than what I've got (which is an anchor anyway next to the pricier road bikes). Not planning on using it off-road either.

grumm > is that the "sand" colour? It's what's in stock, but the photo on the planet-x site is more yellowy. May just be one of those shades that looks quite a bit lighter or darker depending on the light.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i was after one for a while, but got a pomp instead as they didn't have any kaffs. personally, i reckon i'd go for an uncle john just for the disc mounts.

ski
    Free Member

Used to have a Pompino, but traded it for a Kaff last year.

Great bit of kit, tough enough to ride offoroad if you want, but also happy enough to do a 100's on, very comfortable.

The only thing I had problems with was the placement of the lugs for the gear cables used to catch the front brake cable if you turn sharply, you will only do it the once, but its a real head muncher the first time you do it and you are over the bars thinking what happened there 😉

Check my post out here about it:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/kaffenback-users-quick-question

Mine is an old frame, so this might not apply to the latest frame or if you are using V's.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Kaffenback thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.