Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Kaffenback owners – tyre clearance and towpaths…
  • MoreCashThanDash

I was – honestly – looking at 29er frames on On One when I discovered cheap Kaffenbacks on there, which made me wonder about a commuter project instead.

Clearance is for 32mm tyres, apparently, but will it take 28mm tyres with full mudguards?

And with 28mm tyres, will it cope with a stretch of unmade towpath and bumpy Sustrans tarmac?

Cheers

ton

surly lht takes 40mm tyres
    look over there>

thomthumb
    Free Member

pompino (same back end i think) will take 35c tyres and mudguards.

I’s have thought that kaff will be similar.

And with 28mm tyres, will it cope with a stretch of unmade towpath and bumpy Sustrans tarmac?

as long as the pressure is not to high you’ll be fine. bigger the better though ime. i use a 35c michelin world tour they are fine for gravel/ even a bit of dirt as long as it’s not wet.

markenduro
    Free Member

Can get 42mm conti fighter2s on the back of the pompetamine, and just about enough room for a mudguard. Haven’t run it like htis though as htey are crap at being tyres…

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I ran 32mm Conti Twisters with mudguards, the clearances were silly tight and I sat with the rear tyre and cut all the side knobs off the night before I toured on it.

Schwalbe Marathons are fine for Sustrans type routes and that’s what I use now

DSCF2119 by paulosoxo, on Flickr

Waderider
    Free Member

I have 28mm Panaracer T-servs and full SKS ‘guards on mine. And I off road it with panniers when I really should be on a MTB.

Waderider
    Free Member

I have 28mm Panaracer T-servs and full SKS ‘guards on mine. And I off road it with panniers when I really should be on a MTB.

Waderider
    Free Member

Ooops. Have a third post with a photo.

Very versatile bikes. Who said crossers are good in mud? I got stuck here.

MoreCashThanDash

pualosaxo – just checking your post – do you mean that 32mm Schwalbe Marathons fit with mudguards? That sounds an ideal combination if it would work.

duncan

I have 28mm Conti ultragatorduraskins or whatever they’re called on mine with full SKS mudguards. A719 rims. They’ve coped with plenty of unmade towpaths and sustrans tracks, not to mention a fair few Peak District bridleways… All good so far. My preference when things get rough is for more pressure rather than less, so as to prevent rim damage and pinch flats. As there’s no tread to speak of there’s never going to be much grip in mud anyway, and they grip fine on the rocks round here no matter what the pressure.

It has to be said though that if clearance is top of your list of requirements then the equivalent Surly is probably the way to go (better cable routing too). The Kaffenback’s chainstays were a bit tight when I did a cross race with a pair of borrowed 32mm twisters, luckily it wasn’t a muddy one though.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m currently being battered with 28mm Marathons on the towpath on a cheap alloy frame – thought a cheap steel one would be more comfortable, 32mm would be ideal.

Can you buy the Surly for £100……?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

That was 32mm twisters. I use Marathons on an uncle john now, with guards, can’t remember if I ever had them on the Kaff

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Kaffenback owners – tyre clearance and towpaths…’ is closed to new replies.