Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • K mount to Panasonic Micro 4/3 Adaptor
  • nsaints
    Free Member

Using my DMC-G3 with a 14-42 kit lens for a while now, but have been looking at prime lenses lately. Occurred to me I have an old Pentax ME Super with a standard 50mm lens sat in the draw at home doing zip.

Am I wasting my time/money buying an adaptor and try running a 30 year old Pentax lens on the G3

Here’s an adaptor that may work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pentax-K-PK-lens-to-Olympus-Panasonic-Micro-4-3-M43-mount-adapter-E-PL5-P5-GF6-/261248259662

joshvegas
    Free Member

Not wasting your money at all i love my gf1 with old fd lenses. You need to get used to manually controlling the lense and fiddling with the digital controls but when you get used to it.

Crell
    Free Member

With M4/3 are you not effectively doubling the lens if you use a std 35 mm lens? So your 50mm lens becomes the equivalent of 100mm whe mounted to a M4/3 Body?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Equivalent angle but the magnification stays the same. I think thats right but i have no doubt it will be corrected.

So yes a 50mm becomes quite hard to frame something thats close by.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Beauty of the adaptor is once you have it you can raid ebay for old lenses. Even better is an m42 thread adaptor.

nsaints
    Free Member

Thanks, showing my almost total ignorance in the subject now as I’m lost in what your saying. However ‘hard to frame something close’ sounds bad..

I was pricing up a 20mm pancake at not much change out of £300 when I thought of the redundant Pentax lens.

I’m Looking for something for indoor, low levels of light. A consideration is also the extra bulk of the 14-42. Where the pancake was scoring higher over the standard kit lens

5thElefant
    Free Member

Have a look at speed booster adapters, they reduce the crop to 1.5ish and give you an extra stop of light / DOF control.

Russell96

I’ve got a Nikon F mount to MFT adaptor that works a treat, but it means manual focus and will only work with the older lenses with manual aperture control.

MrSmith
    Free Member

With M4/3 are you not effectively doubling the lens if you use a std 35 mm lens? So your 50mm lens becomes the equivalent of 100mm whe mounted to a M4/3 Body?

What’s that got to do with putting another brand or formats lens on your micro4/3 camera? 😯

I have a 40mm large format lens, a 40mm Hassleblad lens and a 40mm canon 35mm lens. If I also owned a M4/3 40mm lens and mount them all to an Olympus/panasonic body the focal length would be… Wait for it…. 40mm.
    The angle of view changes with film format but focal length is constant so any 40mm lens will behave the same (just coverage will change depending on what format it is designed for)

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ooooh someones got a strop on.

Crell
    Free Member

What’s that got to do with putting another brand or formats lens on your micro4/3 camera?

Nothing. It was a genuine question as unlike you I am a complete photography amateur and thought I’d read that somewhere as a disadvantage. Thanks for sharing the benefit of your wisdom.

zokes
    Free Member

Thanks for sharing the benefit of your wisdom.

That was actually more helpful than most of MrSmith’s photography posts, which seem to imply that he thinks only ‘professionals’ such as he should be allowed within 10 feet of a camera more advanced than that on your phone. Sad really.

MrSmith
    Free Member

thinks only ‘professionals’ such as he should be allowed within 10 feet of a camera more advanced than that on your phone. Sad really.

On the contrary, it’s the amateur market that drives most sensor/software/development and camera sales even of so called ‘professional’ equipment coveted by the gear queers and measurebators, without them buying cameras on a constant upgrade path there would be less choice and higher prices.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘K mount to Panasonic Micro 4/3 Adaptor’ is closed to new replies.