• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Justin Welby – New Archbishop of Canterbury
  • RustySpanner

An evangelical old Etonian ex oil executive who opposes gay marriage.

Well done folks, an inclusive choice that represents the views of the population and should help the CoE be taken more seriously.

Oh, hang on….

scaredypants

is he the one that was subject of all the dodgy betting ?

RustySpanner

Yup.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

Well done folks, an inclusive choice that represents the views of the population and should help the CoE be taken more seriously.

TBF, I believe those qualities were all on the person spec for the job as “mission critical”

🙄

IanMunro
    Free Member

If the CoE wants to be taken seriously then it needs to start killing non believers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

An evangelical old Etonian ex oil executive who opposes gay marriage.

So david Cameron with less charm and fewer morals

I can think of no one better to lead us through this moral maze

Thanks the Lord – who does indeed work in mysterious ways

I like the coptic way

they list three folk and then a blindfolded child picks the name from a hat to make sure it was God’s choice …now that makes sense..no really it does

cranberry
    Free Member

that represents the views of the population

But he doesn’t need to represent the views of the population, just the part of the population that think that we in the UK have a slightly different Sky Fairy to the rest of the world because Henry VIII wanted to have a shag.

binners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdjK1gPtl2Y[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Does it really matter. They are all a conduit for the one true voice of god….

binners

It doesn’t really matter though. Its not like The Church of England is a real religion anyway, is it?

Its essentially just the ‘none of the above’ box

IHN

But he doesn’t need to represent the views of the population, just the part of the population that think that we in the UK have a slightly different Sky Fairy to the rest of the world because Henry VIII wanted to have a shag.

In the spirit of STW pedantry, it’s the same Sky Fairy, but he/she/it doesn’t have an earthbound main-man.

D0NK

geetee1972
    Free Member

In the spirit of STW pedantry, it’s the same Sky Fairy, but he/she/it doesn’t have an earthbound main-man.

So in that spirit Isalm does in the guise of Old Mo, while the Jews are largely still waiting.

and

who opposes gay marriage.

He is however in favour of Civil Unions, which are the same thing, just not the same thing that dictates to the church what they should or shouldn’t believe.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But the CoE is the Established church. Of course if they really have such an issue with gay marrige thay can disestablish themselves…

RustySpanner

He is however in favour of Civil Unions, which are the same thing, just not the same thing that dictates to the church what they should or shouldn’t believe.

Don’t you start. 😀

julianwilson
    Free Member

We are a constitutional monarchy and as such still tied to the Queen and the Church of England, so I guess we are stuck with having our politicians and the media offering some degree of recognition to the Archbishop, hoever outrageous, opinionated or indeed homophobic-etonian-oil-exec they may happen to be.

Government should be well chuffed at this: Williams always seemed to be a thorn in their side, however I can’t see Welby and Cameron seeing eye to eye about gay marriage. 😆

FWIW my uber-evanglical mother in law manages to be a proper liberal in many ways, but conversations with her about homsexuality and evolution/creationism are tremendous fun.

D0NK

So in that spirit Isalm does in the guise of Old Mo, while the Jews are largely still waiting.

what I originally thought but then figured IHN might actually have been talking about the pope so dunno

IHN

Yeah, I was talking about the Pope, who is God’s representative on Earth and infallible.

Also, Catholics priests are/have a direct link to God, whereas CoE vicars (and bishops/archbishops) know a lot about Him, but can’t talk to Him directly.

And in the CoE communion, the wafer represents the body of Christ, whereas in the Catholic one it is the body of Christ.

If you believe that sort of thing, obviously.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Justin Welby – New Archbishop of Canterbury’ is closed to new replies.