Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Justifying a rarely used bike?
  • dan77
    Free Member

First of all here she is, tucked away in the corner of the garage where she’s been since I bought a bargain 456Carbon which I do prefer to ride,

It’s a 2010 P7 that I built myself with a frame from eBay and components found mostly on here, it was the first bike I built after getting into mountain biking a few years back. Now I know I don’t need it and if I keep it it will sit in the garage for most of the year and only get used very rarely if at all, but I like it, I put the effort into building it with the bits I wanted and I know I’ll never get that much for it now I sell it, It also needs a new free hub body as well.

So as I see it my options are;

1 – Keep it as it is and mount it on the wall as a display piece
    2 – Put a new free hub on and use it maybe once or twice a year
    3 – Put a new free hub on, sell it and let someone else enjoy it as much as I have
    4 – strip it and sell it for parts, I’d rather see it go in one

What would you do? I can’t decide.

wwaswas

slidey dropouts?

singlespeed it for the muddy months.

5thElefant
    Free Member

You could do what I do with my motorbikes. I justify mine as projects for when I retire.

How do you sex a bike? I have no idea what gender mine are. Does it work on motorbikes too?

slowjo
    Free Member

If for any reason your main bike is out of action, you will still have something to ride.

rucknar
    Free Member

I was in a similar situation this weekend, after months of mulling it over i’ve donated it to a local community bike centre. They strip and rebuild them, training up kids etc at the same time and then send them out to people who need them, a recent batch went to rwanda.

Northwind

Repeat after me “it’s a 26er, it’s not going to be worth selling, might as well keep it”

dan77
    Free Member

How do sex a bike?

I really don’t know, I just think it’s a she!

If for any reason your main bike is out of action, you will still have something to ride.

I own three bikes, but only 2 hard tails 🙂

slidey dropouts?

I dint think about this, maybe with some rigid forks

hooli

I have a similar situation, current thinking is to sort out some of the issues and use it when conditions are very muddy and to tow the tag along when out with the kids. I cant really justify keeping it but I would get next to nothing for it if I sold it.

amedias
    Free Member

“I like bikes”

^ That’s the justification I tend to use…

jambalaya
    Free Member

@dan I have a bike I rarely use, I just bought some parts to built up another bike so I am going the other way.

I would fix it up, perhaps re-mode it or use it as a loner and encourage friends into MTB-ing. As a last resort sell it/parts to someone.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I had this dilemma last year. I had an Evil Sovereign that I swore I would never get rid of, but I wasn’t riding it. Someone else would use it and love it, why not let them? It’s a waste of money and natural resources otherwise. It is just a bike.

BillOddie

Spare bike for visiting riders…

scaled
    Free Member

Are you thinking about kids any time in the future*?

You can’t put a rear mounted child seat on the seat tube of a carbon bike and it’s a bit iffy hooking up a trailer to a carbon chainstay.

*this strategy/justification might get you more than you bargained for

mlke
    Free Member

Get it functioning, and you’ll find a need for it

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I had this dilemma last year. I had an Evil Sovereign that I swore I would never get rid of, but I wasn’t riding it. Someone else would use it and love it, why not let them? It’s a waste of money and natural resources otherwise. It is just a bike.

Same situation here with a Brodie Holeshot. It wasn’t getting ridden, and it deserves to be – it’s a fantastic bike. Stupidly I’ve talked at least two people out of buying it as it wasn’t really what they were after.

Maybe I’m trying to tell myself something… 😕

kilo

I’ve bikes I don’t ride very often but I’ve got books I don’t re-read very often, cd’s I don’t listen to and a whole cabinet of lp’s one just accumulates stuff. The bikes (old inbred ss and a prophet) are bought and paid for, I’ve got storage space for them and I like having them and lend them out when needed so why not just keep them. I sometimes think o binning them off but it seems to much effort for scant financial reward

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Pah, only the one bike you don’t use!

In the loft/garage I have

Original Turner Burner, virtually unused.

PipeDream Ti something or other (the original double butted one) built rigid & SS with some nice kit.

Raleigh Team Burner LTD edition recreation (spun around the block once)

A couple of generic bikes I built, one of which gets used a couple of times a year by my daughter.

And then we have the frames…

Original round tube Stiffee

Original OO Scandal

Azonic Propulsion.

I can’t face selling any of it, for the return I may as well keep themI suggest you do the same 🙂

Cheers.

breadcrumb

As already said, is got sliding drop outs so I’d SS it.

My SS is my most ridden bike, after I built the first one just for winter too.

dan77
    Free Member

SS is becoming more appealing, I’m watching some rigid forks aswell so it might just become a pub bike

breadcrumb

TBH I’d probably leave the suspension on it and just ditch the gears.

It’s a bit nice for a pub bike but that’s your call.

chvck
    Free Member

I’d sell it, I’m not one for holding onto bikes I don’t use though.

crazy-legs

I’ve got a Cove Stiffee which is quite old now and which gets used maybe 2-3 times a year at most.

I justify it by the fact that it’s basically worthless, all the parts on it are obsolete. They all work fine but it’s 9sp, Dual Control levers, QR wheels, 85-120mm suspension, 26″ wheels, ISIS BB…

No point selling any of it, may as well just ride it into the ground then when something critical breaks just bung the frame on ebay.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got one like that.
    The road bike.
    Hardly use it but will hang on to it cos it might come in handy.

ska-49
    Free Member

Looks like two unused bikes to me.. that advantage tyre is sparkly clean 😉

It’s always N+1. You’ll want another bike in a couple months if you sell this!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Justifying a rarely used bike?’ is closed to new replies.