Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Just watched that Music Nation documentary about Balearic club scene…
  • rewski
    Free Member

and now feel old, some great tunes, alarm clock by westbam, recognised a few faces too.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I miss beefa.

rewski
    Free Member

most of this was set in berkshire, boys own parties 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    carbonfiend
    Free Member

DJs that couldn’t mix 🙂 alright apart from Phil Perry & Scott James. went to Rimini in 1990 with the Flying lot Rocky Diesel Farley Fabio Paras etc they got made to look pretty stupid by the Italians who were brought up on Baldelli & the Slam boys who were class banging out Detroit & Chicago
    Weatherall is a legend though

rewski
    Free Member

DJs that couldn’t mix

it wasn’t about the mixing in the early days, most came from the rare groove and funk scene, I used to go to the Holloway’s Special Branch nights, where Tong and Giles started off, then it all kicked off big time, you know the rest.

rewski
    Free Member

@ carbonfiend – bit of a longshot but do you know mick stacey?

iamroughrider
    Free Member

you grow old, you live young ( young at heart anyway ) 🙂

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

went to Rimini in 1990 with the Flying lot Rocky Diesel Farley Fabio Paras etc they got made to look pretty stupid by the Italians

I was on that trip, small world.

… my recollection is that we all made ourselves look pretty stupid 🙂

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I have always grown up on DJs being able to mix going way back to the DMC days but particularly Greg Wilson & Chad Jackson and the all dayers of the mid 80’s. Plus the Hacienda explosion was Park & Pickering who were hearing the stuff from Chicago (hot mix 5 WBMX) & we got access to the odd & scare Levan tape.
    Yeah that Rimini trip was silly I have some photos somewhere – one of rocky & diesel playing to an empty room 🙂 we where lucky that had been told ‘provisions’ were hard to come by over there so we took our own !
    Don’t know Mick Stacey but will ask my missus she was originally from Bucks was a Queens member did promised land Love at Wag Ibizia in 87 n all that stuff was even at Hurlys the night GP scratched across an acid track saying ”we won’t play this shit here’
    I was a northerner who made occasional trip down south did special branch at SIN off Tottenham court road, Soul City at Heaven etc & then the Biology Sunrise stuff
    Ended up finding my way into the industry & worked with countless DJs labels etc inc DMC world finals in Paris NYC & London.
    I reckon in over 25 yrs of doing all that stuff the best DJ I ever heard in his prime was Sasha

carbonfiend
    Free Member

image by hlpjones, on Flickr

Me in Rimini 😯 😀 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

Went to SIN, Energy was pretty special and before house kicked off Royal Oak, Dingwalls and Doo at the Zoo. Holloway and Rocky and Diesel used to dj at our club from time to time. I used to work with Mick, he was a club promoter mate of Farley’s and part of the Boys Own crowd. I know a few in the industry and DMC people too, even used to do Southport and Prestatyn weekenders, in fact Tony Humphries was pretty awesome.

Parkie at Southport was always special.

zbonty

Theres a pretty good ‘Balearic’ scene at the moment. Great new music, some very old stuff being unearthed and re-presented to new ears. Plus some of the classics.

Good music is good music.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I never made it to Energy or Dingwalls with GP. My missus did virtually everywhere during that time Shoom, Trip, World Dance Boys Own. Met her at the Hac in 89 as she was at uni up north. Yeah Parkie was awesome defo had skills & knew his stuff.
    I used to deal with Nick at DMC & of course mad Tony Prince ! I set up a PR company called ZZonked in mid 90’s worked for loads of labels sending promo’s to DJs Press & radio, I did a lot of drum & bass & hip hop stuff as well as working the likes of Warp Ninja Tune Mo Wax etc

check this out, a mate of mine who still DJs & was at all that stuff also but really went down the jazz route etc called Russ Jones is also a really handy CX racer & set this company up http://shop.hackneygt.com/

yeah totally agree good music is good music but Balearic was an umbrella that could be used to cover a lot of stuff that was basically shit (IMHO) & if u step into that area u are always gonna put yourself up against what the Italians & particularly what Daniele Baldelli did.

Greg Fenton Justin Robertson & Moonboots gave it a good though with Spice & later Spacefunk

rewski
    Free Member

ZZonked? pretty sure you did some PR for a band for me I think. Where you based in Stratford? I know Karl at DMC and my bro was editor of seven and mixer magazine. Also Blues & Soul years ago.

Russ Jones rings a bell.

Greg Fenton also played at one of our parties.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Wow yeah that’s me (Harvey) indeed was in Stratford for about 15years when it’s was a proper shit hole ! Stopped about 5yrs back lost the heart & frankly got bored- was into triathlons then after getting back into running
    Yeah remember Seven mag was it an evolution of the old mixmag update sheet ?
    Blues & Soul – Bob Jones & Westwood 🙂
    What’s your brothers name though I never really did the press I was always at radio 1 plugging

rewski
    Free Member

It was indeed a dump then. I had a small label for a few years, I lost heart too. Music industry is tough. You plugged a welsh trip hop band for me, got my remix played by Steve Lamacq, so it worked.

You probably know Mark Webster then?

Yep 7 was update.

My bro name is Mark.

Did you see Dj Shadow, James Lavelle dj set tickets went on sale this morning?

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Mark Webster ?
    Thats cool, Steve Lamacq was one of the nice guys, he always tried to play what he liked even if it was outside his remit & welsh trip hop certainly sounds like it was 🙂
    It got harder & harder & I didn’t really like what I was hearing couldn’t get into dub step or the Justice french house stuff etc & hip hop got so cliche
    Yeah seen to the Meltdown stuff – TBH I drifted right away from all the beats & vibes stuff, got into thinks like Kurt Vile, War on Drugs, Mogwai, Atlas Sound etc which kinda surprised myself.
    One of the lads that worked for me Alex set himself up a label called Eglo with a producer called Floating Points I really like what he is doing http://youtu.be/MJP_vhJ_BDE

You based in the south east ?

rewski
    Free Member

I like a bit of floating points, was listening to their nts set earlier this week. Follow them on twitter, liking Fatima too. Yep SE

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I’m still in east LDN ride in Epping forest – where are you

Floating points needs to release an album IMO

rewski
    Free Member

I’m just outside south london, ride North Downs, Surrey Hills, South Downs and Swinley. What’s Epping like? Was thinking of doing Beastway, for fun mind.

Arp3 is a genius piece of deep house, I’m really into smallville records sound and rush hour.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Epping is great miles & miles of forest single track, lacks a bit in elevation & is virtually un rideable in winter.
    Not done beastway as wife works late so I always have to kids but this year Russ Jones (Hackney GT) is sponsoring it so I will be down probably first one.
    What’s your twitter name, mine is @carbonfiend
    Don’t know smallville yeah Rush Hour was one label I liked before I bailed

rewski
    Free Member

You’re being followed.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Ditto
    just watched that Doc funny the missus didn’t recognise anybody & she was a regular apart from the ‘known’ people but I saw Fozia who ended up runnin Eye Q for Sven Vath & Andrew Curly who was the face of Weatheralls Sabres of Paradise label – lovely chap as well
    I DJ’d at Venus 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

Lost a few hours on this site: http://testpressing.org

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

There was so much great music around and unfortunately I never did find out what any of it was, even though there was a Flying shop in Bournemouth for a while.

Any pointers? Would love to be able to hear some of those tracks again.

Closest I seem to get to the vibe is TheMadFerret’s feed on YouTube (currently listening to a Fabi Paras mix of Persian Blues by Fortran 5 … nice).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Just watched that Music Nation documentary about Balearic club scene…’ is closed to new replies.