Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Just watched Newsnight, am I detached from reality? Is it worse than I know?
  • poly
    Free Member

Gwello,

Poverty in the UK is really a ‘relative’ term though. http://www.poverty.org.uk/summary/social%20exclusion.shtml so it makes sense that it is measured against the “rest of society’s ability to pay”

You have to be careful when you use different people’s scales to measure poverty. There are various factors which are included / excluded:

– Before Housing Costs
    – After Housing Costs (deduct rent or mortgage interest but not capital)
    – Household size, ‘corrected’ for the number of adults, children <14 and children >14.

I’m fairly sure that Barnados are using the same data set and the same 60% threshold the difference is in those points. Depending on ‘your audience’ it may be useful to use the version that gives you the biggest or the smallest number! At the end of the day if you only have about £12 a day per person for food, heating, clothing, transport, phone/internet/tv, booze/fags, books/toys, etc then you are probably living below the poverty line…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

and worth mentioning that by the 60% measure Ernie is so proud of

Ernie is so proud of ? What the hell are you talking about Z-11 ? Why would I be “proud” of the way the UK government defines poverty ffs ?

You need help mate, seriously, your attempts to have a pop at me are getting more bizarre and weird.

😕

Gweilo
    Free Member

Hi Poly,

I know its a relative term and i also know about the before and after housing costs calculations. And I agree £12 a days not a lot to feed a family on.

A mate of mine is Head Chef in an OAP’s home, he gets about £13 a week each to feed them three times a day. Which I think is ridiculous.

poly
    Free Member

A mate of mine is Head Chef in an OAP’s home, he gets about £13 a week each to feed them three times a day. Which I think is ridiculous.

Indeed it does when the average prisoner gets £15.40, and some of their food is grown on site. It says more about how we treat OAPs than prisoners!

project
    Free Member

Strange when care homes charge up to a thousand quid a week for bed and meals.

Some people think theyree poor because theyve had to down grade their sky sub, or cant go to Mc d,s every day.

There will always br well off peeps and poorer people , so that poorer peeps have something to aspire to and well off peeps have something to fear and keep working .

stumpyjon

If you think it’s bad now wait until interest rates start to go up again. Whilst I tend to gravitate towards the feckless poor vi. New we do have genuine problem in that there are not enough jobs out there even if everyone wanted to work and an even bigger problem with a significant number of people being unemployable due to a lack of skills, intelligence or attitude. The latter being the biggest issue. It’s easy to blame the individuals but it’s a much bigger issue with politicians, advertisers and to some extent the support services giving people unrealistic expectations of what life can be like. All a bit depressing really. I don’t know how you lower expectations whilst still maintaining social mobility for those people who make the effort to change their circumstances.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Just watched Newsnight, am I detached from reality? Is it worse than I know?’ is closed to new replies.