Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Just watched a cyclist hit a van
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Dual carriageway with numerous pedestrian crossings, traffic moving fairly slowly – 10-15mph. Bus start-stopping ahead, then van, then me. Bike follows me as I crawl forward, hopping on and off the pavement then nips up my inside as the traffic started to slow, so I back right off and let him past into the gap, he starts to pound away on the pedals and race after the van who is following the bus closely. Pedestrian lights change, van gambles and nips through on orange. Bus stops dead, van does too. Cyclist stops dead, on the back of the van. Do some people have no observation? He picked himself up and the van driver got out looking rather pee'd off.

Junkyard
    Free Member

At least they learnt a survivable lesson today hopefully they will calm down in future. Racing cars is pointless they have engines and are made of much tougher stuff than you now they know this.

brooess
    Free Member

That cyclist is a t*t. As above, has hopefully learnt something and won't be added to the dead/injured cyclist stats. Or cause someone else to crash

coffeeking
    Free Member

Glad it wasn't worse than it was and no-one seemed too injured, I'd have had to stop and I was in a bit of a rush myself at the time, but as all seemed at least well enough to stand and argue I left it, but I felt a bit guilty for not stopping and offering witnessyness to the van driver, but I doubt he'd have taken me up on it anyway.

ruminant
    Free Member

The actions of a few taint the majority 😐

incidents like that just galvanise the image of cyclists as pests

I agree with brooes and junkyard

skidartist
    Free Member

I was in my van once in birmingham when I heard this 'woomph' noise, seconds latter someone is rattling on my passenger side window yelling "why don't you look where you are f*@cking going". I had to calm him down and explain that I still had the keys in my pocket. He'd somehow managed to run head long into a bright yellow van parked in a line of other parked cars.

coffeeking
    Free Member

LOL!

wwaswas

there was a quadraplegic living near me who was out on a road ride and decided to have a sprint. He had his head down over the front of the bike when he hit a parked van 🙁

coffeeking
    Free Member

no lol.

brakes
    Free Member

mate of mine has pringled two wheels running into the backs of buses
    numpty

Gary_M
    Free Member

Funnily enough I rode into the back of a car last night. I was setting off from the lights and sitting in a row of cars, put the first big pedal stroke in and then the driver of the car in front put the brakes on and I went into the back of it. Driver asked if I was okay, I apologised, no harm done. Everyone makes mistakes now and again.

juan
    Free Member

Poddy to the forum poddy to the forum…

jacksta
    Free Member

Had the opposite happen to me this morning – light went red and I stopped. Not slamming on brakes stuff at all, light had been orange well in advance etc. Just about got run over by the van behind me who had decided to run the light, he just managed to swerve around me luckily

CountZero

My step-brother's run into the back of parked cars a couple of times; head down, training for triathlons…

mrchrispy

i hit the back of a car once, silly bint pulled past me and them blocked me be stopping in the ASL so I rolled into the back of her.

she got and said I'd just crashed into her, I aggreed and then assured her I was okay and she shouldn't worry too much about it. left her when the light changed as she was still trying spot if I'd damaged her car.

Haven't yet hit anything stationary accidently though, i'd like to think I can read traffic a little better than that.

andrewh
    Free Member

I've done it too, straight into the back of a car stopped at some lights, about 10 cars back too! 20ish mph. Broke his spoiler and rear window, lost a bit of blood and had stiches in my face. The driver was very nice about it and my insurers gave him £276 for a new window.

toppers3933
    Free Member

i saw a guy get hit by a van a couple of weeks ago. he was riding along the pavement but going the wrong way up a one way street. the van pulled out of a car dealership and because it was one way never looked to his left that well. guy on bike rolled around the front of the van as the driver spotted a gap to pull into. the cyclist landed somewhere near the centre line and was incredibly lucky he didn't disappear under an oncoming car. he got up and dusted himself down and carried on his way. probably felt it the next day though.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I confess to having ridden into both the back of a bus and a volvo having twice failed to properly take into consideration the power of road brakes in the wet 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

My BB7s are powerful enough in the wet….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I nearly ran into the back of a Clio yesterday – she pulled out from a drive at a walking pace as she put on her seatbelt. Still not sure she even saw me as I overtook her…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have once run into the back of a car, I sneezed and swerved into it, though I was ~15 at the time. I don't really think there are too many excuses for riding into one in a queue though, do we really put a big pedal stroke in without looking up/ahead?!

Northwind

How much do you bet he's on Roadietrackworld right now telling everyone about this ****ing white van man that nearly killed him?

(I've also failed to see a parked car, I was distracted by the shadows my wheel reflectors were casting. Oooh, pretty! BOOOM!)

toby1

The only incident I recall with a parked car was when the door was swung open into my path, I had just overtaken another cyclist and was checking I'd left him enough room before moving back over when *whack* I got twatted with a door, I did bend it though, and a wheel, and a set of forks … you live and you learn, I watched parked cars much more closely these days.

Love the yellow van story 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Just watched a cyclist hit a van’ is closed to new replies.