Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Just sold my car privately – you know what's coming (buyer asking stuff content)
  • core

So,

Sold my car last night, to someone who works for the same (large) organisation as me, via internal classifieds on work intranet.

Was sold cash, with receipt (“sold as seen, tried and approved by purchaser, with no guarantee”, all signed & dated etc), description was honest, car is 11 year old Focus, got £600 for it. The buyer seems to run a side line as a trader (had traders insurance & completed traders part of V5C).

He’s just emailed saying:

I’m pleased with the car, it drives really well.

I do have one query. The car seems to make a whirring noise when the clutch is depressed. As soon as you fully release the clutch it sounds normal.
    I’m a little concerned that it may be thrust bearing?? I would appreciate your thoughts as you know the car well and are more mechanically minded than myself

Now, the car has made this noise since I bought it, 90,000 miles/5 years ago.

So, do I tell him that, or play dumb?

Initial thought is tell the truth, as it has never caused a problem and my mechanic told me not to worry about it, plus the receipt should cover me.

Guide me STW’ers

bensales
    Free Member

I’d say that, and that you just regarded it as one of the normal noises the car made.

He’s got no comeback anyway.

will
    Free Member

I’d tell him that, if it’s lasted 90,000 miles making that noise I wouldn’t worry. Also it’s a £600 car.

nbt

the car has made this noise since I bought it, 90,000 miles/5 years ago. it has never caused a problem and my mechanic told me not to worry about it

Sounds right to me.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yeah – normally I’d just ignore all correspondance, but since you work together just tell him the above.

trail_rat
    Free Member

he drove it before he bought it …. the noise hasnt developed since then…..

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Turn the wireless up !

Its a 600 quid focud ffs !

jon1973
    Free Member

It’s probably a squirrel stuck under the clutch pedal.

fin25
    Free Member

A car, for £600? And it makes noises?
    How frightening this must have been for him…
    Tell him if the noise upsets him, don’t use the clutch.

legend
    Free Member

Quite a faint whirring thats barely detectable with the radio on? If so, my 2005 Focus did that too and it was never an issue

Tell him if the noise upsets him, don’t use the clutch.

Even better, tell him you wouldn’t know as you’ve never used the clutch

Northwind

I’d try and put his mind at rest. No idea if it’s the “best” thing to do but it seems like the right thing to do.

Keva
    Free Member

just agree with him and say yes it does.

core

Ha, love some of the responses, didn’t go with the squirrel thing in the end……………………………. (though I did shoot 2 this morning)!

As I thought, I told the truth, he’s replied already thanking me for my reply and saying it’s put his mind at ease. He’s a trader though, or at least trying to be (on the side), so not that bothered either way!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’d say that, and that you just regarded it as one of the normal noises the car made.

THIS
    i don think they are being arsey I think they ar egenuinely asking for info.
    IE. if it it always did it they will ignore it [ and say this to any new buyer] or if it is recent they may fix it

They are a trader they know what sold as seen means
    EDIT : Damn 42 seconds to slow to look psychic 😉

kcal

as above.

When we sold our flat, there was a crack in one of the windows, buyers wanted us to replace the glass (big 2 bed flat in Edinburgh). We simply replied that it had been there since I bought it, 12 years previously. Never heard ought again..

codybrennan
    Free Member

I had a Focus of the same vintage and it did this too, and never worsened or failed in the 3 years I had it. I’m not saying ‘they all do that’ but it’s nothing to worry about.

It does sound like the thrust bearing when you hear it.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

more mechanically minded than myself

hmm… I’d add a proviso along the lines of “I’m not a car mechanic, but its never got any worse in 5 years, nor had any noticeable effect on the driving”.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Just sold my car privately – you know what's coming (buyer asking stuff content)’ is closed to new replies.