Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Just serviced my KS i900 but…
  • slowboydickie

I can’t see how to keep the oil in the shaft. When I pour the oil in then screw the red bottom end cap and reinstall the lock nut the oil just pours out the bottom. I can’t see where else it can go. Any suggestions? Oh and I did follow the instructions.

Cheer
    Dickie

tpbiker
    Free Member

Oil?????

What part have you taken apart? I usually just unscrew the red collar and the bottom nut, pull it apart, regrease and then reassemble. Never used any oil.

Never tried servicing the spring bit…nor do I plan to.

slowboydickie

I did the same as you but the tech manual on the KS site says to add 20ml of oil into the bottom before screwing in the red bottom cap.

http://www.pure-race.com/KS%20i900%20Manual.pdf

There are holes in the cap so it is bound to spill out. The seat post works fine though.

ChrisL

Older i900s have holes in the red cap at the bottom of the shaft, newer ones don’t. So I’d guess you have two options. Either you live without the oil (presumably the older design doesn’t need it) or you get in touch with Superstar and ask them about getting your post’s internals upgraded as part of a service. That may cost you about 45 quid and take a few weeks, if my experience is anything to go by.

Oh, the 20ml thing is nonsense too – it should be 2ml, I think.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I only put 20ml in my fork legs!!!!!

My manual didn’t mention oil, may have a look to see if I can put some in there, can’t make it any worse! I’ve got 2 of them, both an absolute baw ache 60% of the time but when they work, best thing on my bike.

slowboydickie

Thanks fellas.

ap330d
    Free Member

Hi there

I’m new to this forum, and needed help for my KS post. But I may be of help here 🙂

Have a look at this link, the oil is what makes the post go up and down! Like an air shock.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/ks-i900-fixed-fully-rebuildable-home-693843.html

Although you’ve done it now, it isn’t recommended to do it unless you know what you’re doing. It’s the re-pressuring that’s the hard work. I’m an engineer with compressed air available to me, but I still had to modified components to allow me to do it. It needs about 120 psi (about 8 bar) of pressure 😮

My question is relatively simple, so wondering if you guys can help me. I bought my KS post of ebay (groan!). It’s been tampered with. But I’m unsure about the bearing whether it’s been changed or not.

I put the post in slightly (so that the guide bearings are not doing anything), and the post doesn’t rotate at all. Is this how it works? I’m surprised because I would suspect that the roller pins would allow the post to rotate. (I’m guessing that this is intentional, and that the roller pins are pushed back so much that it stops the post rotating…I’ve never seen this application before!).

Any help is much appreciated.
    Cheers

ChrisL

I don’t think that the OP has been disassembling the inner bit of the seatpost, just following the easily available service instructions. These service instructions state that 20ml of shock oil should be put in the gap between the outer post and the stanchion.

james
    Free Member

” would suspect that the roller pins would allow the post to rotate. (I’m guessing that this is intentional, and that the roller pins are pushed back so much that it stops the post rotating”

No, this is correct. It shouldn’t rotate

Why would you want it to rotate?
    I thought when sat down pedalling over really rough stuff that the side-to-side play in my i900 was sort of useful.
    The play when saddle down, slow speed stop/start techy (ie stainburn) stuff where I was wanting to use the saddle as a sort of reference/anchor point for my knees/legs made things a lot more difficult to ride

ap330d
    Free Member

thanks James.

I was wondering because finding a bearing is proving difficult. But this info. is useful. I will continue my search.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Just serviced my KS i900 but…’ is closed to new replies.