• This topic has 36 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Andy.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Just seen an eagle
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

Six of them in fact. Came swooping in along the road we were on so low I could hear their wings beat. Anyone know a good website to identify them?

theblackmount
    Free Member

LOL. A flock of Eagles?

We are talking Golden Eagles are we?

ontor
    Free Member

buzzard

bikeneil
    Free Member

I nearly knocked over a Rhino on my way to work too.

allthegear
    Free Member

Sorry about that, they got out last night.

mrmo
    Free Member

unless in highlands i doubt it was eagles,

Buzzards, or in that sort of number Kites is far more likely, (although kites does depend on where you live)

Bizzarely, considering the numbers i have seen oxford way, i have only ever seen one Kite in the cotswolds. Lots of Buzzards though.

fasthaggis

Did they have Hobbits with them ?

Flock of baby robins?

orangewinger
    Free Member

Anywhere near the Chilterns it will be red kites, literally millions of them here.

molgrips
    Free Member

I suspect you did not.

Only Golden and Sea eagles in the UK, and then only in remote parts of Scotland. And I think they are solitary birds so a flock of 6 is not likely.

As above – kites.

gwaelod
    Free Member

saw a pair of sea eagles once flying together down the loch just offshore whilst I was staying at the campsite on the beach at Ullapool.

Fantastic – bigger than 747s they were

(possibly that’s an exaggeration…but they were huge)

mrmo
    Free Member

http://www.bto.org/about-birds/birdfacts/find-species

back to your orginal question, have a look through the link.

somafunk

They’ll be red kites (did they have a v-mark in their tail?) and i suspect you were near to a red kite introduction area or feeding zone, still an impressive bird none the less and there’s loads of them up in this area (galloway).

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I have seen Golden Eagles in the Alps, but they are fairly common there. Only rare in the UK.

DT78
    Free Member

I had to try to get past a semi tame (did not know that at the time) sea eagle on a a small island in Thailand. It had decided to land on a precarious footpath along the rocks / sea edge between me and the wife. It then sat there eyeing me up for dinner, whilst I considered my options. Bloody big things up close. Locals were pissing themselves at my pathetic attempts to shooo it. In the end someone called it over and fed it….

cookeaa

Birds are not all that great, my Dad used to ruin bike rides by randomly stopping to stare at some winged git soaring overhead. Hence I tend to think of casual bird watching is just a distraction tactic employed when when someone is a bit knackered but doesn’t wan’t to admit it…

In fact my Dad Visited on Friday and was rather pleased to see a Red Kite flying about over our back garden, I’m still not all that bothered by Birds, despite living pretty close to an area packed with them.

My four year old daughter summed it up beautifully:

“No Granddad, that’s not a Kite, that’s a Bird. I think you left your glasses in the car again…”

fourbanger
    Free Member

Definitely 6 eagles. Identifying which one now. Thanks mrmo.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Don’t know how many Kites and Buzzards there are in Spain. Crossing them off the list though.

scunny
    Free Member

Pretty sure they were not eagles. You don’t get flocks, only pairs.

Crows are big.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Possibly Spanish Imperial Eagle. Chortle chortle.

leythervegas
    Free Member

They were probably buzzards mate. (Or ‘tourists eagles’ as bird watchers call them) they regularly fly in groups at this time of the year. It’s the parents and their kids.

GrahamS

Buzzard

AKA “Tourist Eagle” 🙂

Edit: gah beaten to it by 5 seconds 😀

stevied
    Free Member

Eagles only ever come in a max of 5:

😉

fourbanger
    Free Member

3 pairs equals 6 eagles. I shit you not. Came along the road at us then sat on a thermal over where they were cutting.

mrmo
    Free Member

fourbanger, your in spain? bit early i guess, but i think buzzards are migrants, just to confuse your attempt to identify.

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Definitely 6 eagles.<

I would say definitely not 6 Eagles – not in the UK anyway.

They have massive territories – the most you’d see in one place would be 2

fergal
    Free Member

probably vultures

johnellison
    Free Member

In Spain – buzzards, kites, ospreys, vultures. NOT eagles. Repeat NOT eagles.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Spain doesn’t have eagles?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

fourbanger – Member
    Spain doesn’t have eagles?

Exactly?

What happens if you shoot 3 on a Par 5?? 😯 😆

Toasty

B Eagle?

Grizla
    Free Member

Spain has a lot more eagles than the UK.
    Booted Eagles all over the place last time I was there (Andalucia.)

fourbanger
    Free Member

They may have been HENCH buzzards.

fourbanger
    Free Member

richmtb

Looks like a Vulture.

Grizla
    Free Member

Looks like a Vulture

Yep.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

When I was a kid in Wales, there was plenty of buzzards and a near extinct red kite population~ slowly, the tables are turning and now the kites outnumber the buzzards; nature is a balancing game.

Andy

In Spain; Black Kites?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Just seen an eagle’ is closed to new replies.