Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Just running a front brake?
  • robbo1234biking

I am thinking of just running a front brake on my commuter. Been commuting for about 6 weeks now and been really lucky with the weather so only had to ride in the rain once but forgot how horrible v brakes become in the wet. So was going to get a front disc but for the last few days been trying the commute without running a back brake. Anyone else do this?

cynic-al
    Free Member

No. Think of braking on slippery surfaces.

thomthumb
    Free Member

why?

i did on a fixed wheel for a while but i much prefer having the second brake there even if you rarely use it.

robbo1234biking

Just because my commuter doesnt have mounts for disc brakes really and I never use it. On my xc bike I do on downhill sections etc but there isnt anything dificuult on my commute ride

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No

Illegal and you need both brakes for control in the wet

thomthumb
    Free Member

front disc rear v. sorted 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

my commuter doesnt have mounts for disc brakes really and I never use it.

Leave it on then – what do you lose in doing so?

robbo1234biking

Leave it on then – what do you lose in doing so?

Nothing was just wondering really as I very rarely use it

Stoner
    Free Member

I run only one brake now after refurbing my commuter.

You dont need two brakes if you’re not hooning around, even in the wet, as long as you ride sensibly and keep your front brake in excellent condition.

I only ride 3-4 miels each way, at a gentle bimble (as I ride in my work clothes and dont want to get sweaty), in Central London, mainly off road.

As for legality, dont bet on fuzz knowing the law.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Stoner, it’s not just about your riding style/skills though. I like both (or three) brakes on a commuter because emergency stops aren’t something I plan for…

Stoner
    Free Member

if you need to make an emergency stop I suggest you’re not riding carefully enough…

leggyblonde
    Free Member

rubbish! it is impossible to anticipate the actions of every single other road user and crazy pedestrian

Stoner
    Free Member

not rubbish at all.

I have been riding in London for over 10 years and cant recall the last time I had to make any kind of sharp braking manouevre. I always ride with an assumption that someone/something is going to do something stupid and so have an alternative line ready. Planning ahead, sympathetic speed, eye-contact and a good feel for the stupidty of others means you should, IMO, never need to perform an emergency stop.

My experience proves this to me. It sounds like your experience doesnt prove that to you. I reckon that says more about your riding style than your braking needs.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nonsense. EDIT – nosense that reasonable commuting means you can anticipate EVERYTHING that may require an emergency stop.

You’ve just been lucky 😛

Stoner
    Free Member

succinct argument there al. I assume you’ve been following me for the last decade and can point out where Ive got that wrong then?

ivan_w_1983
    Free Member

I found the back very useful this winter in the wet and when it was icy when the front was very keen to lock up. But thats on a road bike with skinny little tyres

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I guess it could be down to the fact that you bimble 3 miles through parks and I travel 15 miles from edge of zone 6 to central along main roads.

ski
    Free Member

I can see Stoner point of view, my neighbour has been cycling her shopper daily to the shops for years and she has only a front brake.

I have even offered to fix it for her, but she said she is happy with it as it is.

Not sure if I would have the confidence/skill to use just the one brake.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im going to disagree with you.

As for stopping qbruptly I havent said that that isnt possible with just a front brake. As I said, a brake in good condition, and giving yourself as much help as possible by intelligent riding as well as using your body weight transfer to help braking control as well is more than enough to ride safely.

longweight
    Free Member

Just leave the rear brake on, its essential if you go into a skid in the wet as your front wheel will slide out if you brake too hard! Sensible riding can obviously help prevent this but you can’t account for everything!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Sympathetic speed? Slow you mean?

Stoner
    Free Member

bimble 3 miles through parks

some of the dozy riders on the Park Lane path are every bit as erratic as any white van man.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you mix with cars you either need to go very slowly or have good brakes. I use my brakes hard every time I ride in town and car drivers still amaze me how stupid they can be and how often you have to brake suddenly to avoid hitting them

Al is 100% correct – you cannot anticipate the unexpected correctly every time

longweight
    Free Member

This might be of interest….

Construction & Use Regulations
    This Statutory Instrument (1983 No. 1176) is part of the Road Traffic Acts. Accordingly it is illegal to ride a pedal cycle, including an electrically-assisted pedal cycle, on a public road unless it meets the appropriate requirements. Specifically: the brakes must be as described below – except in the case of a pedal cycle that is sold for off-road racing on enclosed tracks. .
    In the case of a pure pedal cycle (no electrical assistance) these regulations are simply and entirely concerned with the brakes.
    Most sorts of cycle are required to have at least two efficient braking systems, by which the front wheel (or wheels) can be braked independently of the rear wheel (or wheels). This means that if there are two wheels at the front or rear, the relevant system must act on the pair. It also means that the combined operation of front and rear brakes from one lever is not allowed except as an extra braking system: additional to the two independent front and rear braking systems required by this law….. a fixed wheel drive counts as a braking system – on that wheel only.

Stoner
    Free Member

Sympathetic speed? Slow you mean?

at the right time, yes.
    There are times when hooning around isnt just unsafe but it’s arrogant and puts other road users in danger. That doesn’t endear the cycling classes to other users does it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Legally no, ultimate sensible option – probably not.Worth removing an existing brake – probably not. Worth forking out for an expensive rear for a flat 1 mile commute? Nope.

Legality wise I reckon there are very few SPD owning commuters who meet the legal requirements for reflectors.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m going to agree that you can disagree with me.

If you’re slow & skilled at riding in traffic I’d agree it’s probably OK to do so on one brake…I just go a bit faster than you and I see no point in removing a brake.

I quite like taking things a bit close and braking at the last minute in order to make a point to sleeping drivers.

Stoner
    Free Member

TJ – you are wrong, and that’s final.

If you are braking hard, you are riding like a tit. Why on earth would you want to waste kinetic energy like that? As for speed, Im quite happy riding at 20-25mph in the traffic, I still do not need to drop the anchors all the time to deal with the anticpated stupidity of car drivers (actually London drivers are some of the best I’ve found. It may be an Edinburgh thing for you)

cynic-al
    Free Member

TJ you’ve said on another thread something about your town riding which (I think) puts an interesting colour on that comment

longweight
    Free Member

If you are riding a bike with no back brake which isn’t a fixed gear and you hit a pedestrian who steps out in front of you, you can be prosecuted if they can prove that not having a back brake meant you couldn’t stop in time.

My friend was involved in a similar incident and was very nearly prosecuted.

Not worth it!

soobalias
    Free Member

so why did you want to take the brake off?

leave the rear v’s on, add a disc up front if you like
    or does the potential mismatched levers thing keep you awake at night

Stoner
    Free Member

I quite like taking things a bit close and braking at the last minute in order to make a point to sleeping drivers.

I used to do that years ago, but grew up 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Im quite happy riding at 20-25mph in the traffic

I’d call that quite fast.

mudshark
    Free Member

Well IMO there’s always something that can catch you by surprise; for instance sometimes cars pull out of side roads or onto roundabouts with little time to react – maybe 2 brakes won’t save you either though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Riding with only a front brake you are compromising your stopping ability. You are also breaking the law. Part of the reason for the need for two brakes is incase one fails.

Why would I brake hard? Traffic lights changing, cars pulling out, tourists stepping off the pavemnent – the list goes on.

Al – true. I shall have to do that vid – should cause a few arguments

ski
    Free Member

Most of the BMX’s round these parts run no brakes and they still seem able to breed in enough quantities to keep their numbers up?

😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

I agree with what Stoner says about riding style, but there’s no way I would go to the effort of actually taking off a functioning brake just for the sake of it. 😕

Stoner
    Free Member

blanky – If I hit a ped (and Ive said up there Ive never even come close to being unable to avoid a ped by either braking normally or taking evasive action) and they can prove that not having a back brake meant you couldn’t stop in time (if full on front brake under control cant stop you, a back brake which will lock up isnt going to bring much to the party) it would be long enough odds that I’d by a lottery ticket.

robbo1234biking

so why did you want to take the brake off?

Something like that – I am a bit OCD 😳 – but then I like symmetry as well so I would prob think one lever would be wierd too!

Think it is something to do with my constant need to change bits on my bikes. I thought I had everything I needed done at the weekend and then I started thinking about new bits to change

cynic-al
    Free Member

I used to do that years ago, but grew up

I mean for instance approaching a turning car at 10mph rather than 3mph so I can still stop safely at the last minute. I stoppped doing risky stuff long before you’d even thought about it junior 😛

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Just running a front brake?’ is closed to new replies.