Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Just riding along is boring
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

OK, so perhaps the thread title is a bit melodramatic, but bear with me.

I had a good ride yesterday. The sky was blue, the Sun was shining and I had well-drained trails to play on. There were some incredibly technical sections (for me) and some tough and satisfying climbs. However, I must confess I found the easy bits – the bits where you should be able to just cruise and enjoy the (admittedly impressive) views – just a bit underwhelming.

Does anyone else have rides where they forget how to enjoy the easy bits?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The easy bits are there to get your breath back and change your shorts between the proper bits (and are best undertaken in a cable car)

jekkyl

cycle the ‘easy’ bits as fast as you possibly can? top gear, stand on the pedals and dance!

jam-bo

if only there was way to bring the trails alive.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

cycle the ‘easy’ bits as fast as you possibly can?

You’re absolutely right of course, but my point was more that once-upon-a-not-very-long-ago I used to enjoy just being outside on my bike without busting a gut on every section. I was riding solo, so maybe if I’d had someone to chat to I wouldn’t have noticed it feel as dull.

I just hope “going for a walk” doesn’t suffer the same fate, cos I really don’t fancy running everywhere 😆

jkomo

I was after an all day ride with the big views, lakes, mountains, all the shiz.
    Some trails are just too foresty (is that a word?).

weeksy

After doing the 50(55km) SPAM ride yesterday almost maxed out for most of it, i’d have LOVED to cruise a section and just enjoy it 🙂 I was begging for some cruise time.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s called chilling out.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Does anyone else have rides where they forget how to enjoy the easy bits chill out?

andypaul99
    Free Member

For me the best part of a ride are big climbs, and the sense of achievement when you get to the top. I’m a crap descender and don’t really enjoy that anywhere near as much.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I get bored with doing the same thing all the time. So after 5 years riding I now have a burly play bike, a racing mtb and a road bike which I race as well as cruise on.

I switch between riding as fast as I can and long fun rides on all three bikes.

Periods on each bike range from months to a few days, and I just do what I fancy at the time. They all complement each other and all aid my growth as a bike racer (which is when I really get my kicks).

wordnumb
    Free Member

Wasn’t that recent Cedric Gracia video filmed on an easy bit?

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t normally say this but…

#firstworldproblems

racefaceec90

1.catch/release these guys where you ride

2.attach raw meat to your legs.

shouldn’t be boring now 🙂

jamj1974

It’s really boring riding your 160mm travel bike through deep mud on the flat because you have lent your two more appropriate rigid bikes to two lads riding with you…

chum3
    Free Member

Try riding at 100% for a month, no breaks, no resting after a climb – just full effort, all the time. See it as a challenge.

Once you’ve done that, then ask yourself the same question. I reckon you’ll start enjoying the cruisey bits again and you’ll be fitter too…

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah after a while being out in the countryside just becomes as normal as being at work or shopping or something – to me, anyway. After almost 25 years of doing it. In some ways this is bad but in some ways it’s good, because biking is a solid part of my life like any other. I have good rides and bad ones, but it’s just something I do.

I still enjoy it when it’s good, not when it’s bad – but I’ll always be doing it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Just riding along is boring’ is closed to new replies.