Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • just resigned…..
  • duncancallum

And it feels good…

That’s about it but it’s very cathartic saying it.

It’s been building for a while but I’ve always been unsure but now I’ve done it it’s a massive release.

Speshpaul

Nice one.
    All the best with what ever you want to do next.

rt60
    Free Member

Woo, good work! I did it yesterday and it does feel very good!

zippykona

[video]https://youtu.be/mh0R-CbMGL4?t=1m30s[/video]

epo-aholic
    Free Member

it is nice innit? 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Have never once regretted resigning. Good luck with whatever is next.

langley
    Free Member

The feeling of resigning does feel nice. The weight lifted does make life seem brighter again.

Last day for me here and there will never be a morning train journey again. No more early mornings. Yay

mrhoppy

Good luck with whatever you move on to.

I’m about a week in, another 3 and a bit to go before my final day. Motivation has disappeared, no new work coming through and not much drive to really chase hard for stuff I’ll not have time to do. Looking forward to being an unemployed bum for a couple of weeks over Christmas.

Caher

Really feel like it today as I am in a role that is a mile away from the original job spec. Never left before with nothing to go to though, so that worries me, how to explain that to a potential employer.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Really feel like it today as I am in a role that is a mile away from the original job spec. Never left before with nothing to go to though, so that worries me, how to explain that to a potential employer.

Explain the reason and that you fancied a break and the time to get a few things done (bike rides, house works, spend time with kids etc) – clearly saying “i just wanted to veg out” isn’t the greatest explanation !

hot_fiat

Never left before with nothing to go to though, so that worries me, how to explain that to a potential employe

+1 for What Jambalaya said. I’ve walked away from two jobs now. Both times I was polite, gave sound reasoning, dilligently worked through a handover and then gone. Both times I’ve ended back consulting for the previous org about 12 months down the line. The workplace in the UK is a remarkably small world, particulaly in something niche like IT.

What is it that you do and are they the sort of place that would allow a career break?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Always try and leave in a diligent professional manner even if you want to hammer nails into someone’s head…

whitestone
    Free Member

Took voluntary redundancy at my last place three years ago with no job lined up. Finished at the end of that April and had a great summer doing all those jobs around the house that you never seem to find time for, going for bike rides, etc. Wasn’t keen on staying in the same industry but went for a couple of interviews. Just as the weather broke in September my wife mentioned that it was about time I got a job. An hour later (genuinely) my current employer rang up asking me to start on the Monday!

Small world? Definitely! There are a handful of companies in the UK doing what we do, four of them are local to me and I’ve worked for three of them!

skellnonch
    Free Member

7 and a half days & counting… 30 years in the same industry, I need a change

nicko74

From experience, what you’ve done is far better than the alternative, of growing increasingly frustrated, but being too scared to resign without something to go to. It leads to the same result, but through being sacked…

Still, I needed a change. 8 and a bit days and counting.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

good on you Dunc, finally!
    i took VR from a job about 5 years ago after 3 rounds of cuts to the IT dept that i escaped but got to the point where it made sense to go, and yeah it was a massive release when i told my boss, even knowing it took the pressure off her having to make a decision on who to cut loose.
    things always seem to have a habit of working out for the best, i’ve found too.

I managed to get sacked with three months pay in lieu rather than resign and work the remainder.

I remember going down the stairs with my line manager behind me, then walking out the door without looking back or saying a word. End of 14 years.

egb81
    Free Member

Just got home from my final day at work. Five and half years of being constantly reshuffled due to government cuts and finally a decent pay off not to have to change roles again. Looking forward to a lie in tomorrow. 8)

CountZero

I managed to get sacked with three months pay in lieu rather than resign and work the remainder.

I remember going down the stairs with my line manager behind me, then walking out the door without looking back or saying a word. End of 14 years.
    Similar situation here, only after eleven years. The pressure to constantly do work faster, with extra work being added to the usual workload, and an obsession with a 100% performance, ie zero errors, with every little error or memory lapse being noted and explanations demanded at regular ‘performance reviews’ meant the pressure became increasingly difficult to cope with, amounting almost to bullying.
    Lead to asking my doctor to test me for early-onset Alzheimer’s, I was so worried about memory issues, so when I was told I was being ‘let go’, because I couldn’t measure up to their performance standards, the sense of relief was overwhelming.
    Had no idea what I was going to do, but out of the blue I got a job through an advert that popped up on here through my web searches, which I’m really enjoying, the stress has dropped pretty much to zero, and friends have remarked on how much happier I seem to be.
    Good luck for the future! 😀

trailhound
    Free Member

I did it about 18 months ago, started up on my own. Left on good terms and within weeks was being asked to do work for them again. I now charge them double what they used to pay me. Sometimes just taking that leap of faith can really pay off.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘just resigned…..’ is closed to new replies.